Any tips on healing?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
vfibsux
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Any tips on healing?

I am in chapter 2 and currently trying to get to the mining camps in the valley. For the first time in the game I am having trouble keeping up with healing. I am running out things to heal myself, it is almost a game stopper. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? I am stopping and picking up every plant I see along the way, but even after the smallest fight I seem to always take so much damage that I need to eat several plants just to heal. Scrolls only last for so many heals and I save them for when I am really hurt.

Also, in the mine search I went to the Northern one first, but there was no head Paladin to talk to. I asked everyone all the questions I should but got no log update, I hope I achieved any goals I had going there because it was a tough road, lol.
Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:40 am
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Re: Any tips on healing?

Well you gotta have good armor nice level etc but fighting with orcs and other creatures is tough in the valley i was about level 51 when i finished the game even on this level it was tough to fight orcs in groups i think your level is just to low

Last edited by DarkWeaver on Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:18 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Reload and try again, you completely screwed this part.
In the northern mine all the important infos are in the dialogs. If you donīt listen you donīt know where to look.
And nobody said you should fight Orcs. This chapter can be finished without fighting a single Orc.
Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:50 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Have you tried the monestary? You can sneak in there and steal a few potions. Or pay for some to be made for you. Like Gorath said, don't try to kill them. You may even want to leave the VoM and go back to the countryside and find any leftovers you can do to level up. I made several trips in and out so I could kill a few wolves, sell the skins, buy potions or herbs and back to VoM.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:35 pm
Bytespawn
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Before going to the valley of mines, i made sure i did everything in the new world, like quests, caves,... i was about lvl19 when i got to VoM and orcs were still tough, but i could fight 3 orc warriors at the same time...
Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:25 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Some tips !!!
Build up u're strength or dex (depends if u're warrior or archer) and u're combat skills by killing everything u can in the new world!!!
After that go to VOM and don't fight a single thing except maybe snappers and weaker monsters!!!!!
Go to castle make all the quests u can !!!(freeing gorn,meat for that miltiamen,...)
Go to north mine, don't try and kill anything besides snappers and weaker monsters except if u r strong enough to do so fight one orc at a time or one warg at a time !!!!!
Speak with everyone there and listen to what they say !!!
Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:05 pm
vfibsux
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Reload and try again, you completely screwed this part.
In the northern mine all the important infos are in the dialogs. If you donīt listen you donīt know where to look.
And nobody said you should fight Orcs. This chapter can be finished without fighting a single Orc.

Isn't that what a log is for?? You mean to tell me I have to remember what the guy told me? LOL.
Well this is a spoiler forum, anyone know what I am suppose to do since I don't remember what he said? If I have to restart the game because it does not log important info in the journal then I will be seriously pissed off.
Also I am not trying to fight orcs, they kill me in like 3 hits. I have to kill some things though, the valley is packed so you cannot run around everything.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:06 am
vfibsux
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the tips. I really did not want this to be a grind game. I have done every quest I could find in the first world, also have explored alot. I guess I will have to head back there and level up some more. I did not want to play that way but if that is the only way to move on with the story I guess I have no choice.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:09 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Isn't that what a log is for?? You mean to tell me I have to remember what the guy told me? LOL.

Maybe the info that the paladin left with the ore is in your log?!
And you screwed this part because you wasted masses of potions. All you need to fight in this chapter is a few snappers, minecrawlers and harmless animals.

quote:
If I have to restart the game because it does not log important info in the journal then I will be seriously pissed off.

This is not Diablo. Itīs your own problem if you only use one save slot.

quote:
Also I am not trying to fight orcs, they kill me in like 3 hits.
Of course.

quote:
I have to kill some things though, the valley is packed so you cannot run around everything.

Wrong. Use transformation scrolls. And save before you use them.
The mine thing has been explained at least ten times. Use the search function.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:17 pm
dutch311
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

here's a tip for healing: sleep more. Sleeping doesn't hurt. The world is not that big, so you can just run back to a bed and return to fight. This method works for me quite well, i hardly use scrolls, herbs, or potions for healing.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:32 pm
vfibsux
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gorath, I think I have had it with your elitist attitude. To the rest thank you very much for your help without treating me like a 10 year old moron. I will figure the rest out for myself, if I cannot do that I rather toss the game than be humiliated anymore by this person.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:48 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I would suggest taking the time to pick up every plant you see. Also stock up on potions before you go to the VoM. I made the same mistake you did my first time through and found myself eating anything I could to stay alive. But I made it through. Talk to Grimes in the Northern mining camp. He's the head digger there (if there is such a thing LOL). He'll tell you roughly where the head Paladin went. If you can't find Marcus (the head Paladin of that mining expedition) ask me for more specific directions. I won't tell you exactly where he is unless you want me to. I would also recommend being at least level 10 before going to the VoM.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:13 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by vfibsux
Gorath, I think I have had it with your elitist attitude. To the rest thank you very much for your help without treating me like a 10 year old moron. I will figure the rest out for myself, if I cannot do that I rather toss the game than be humiliated anymore by this person.

I have to admit I was a bit bad-tempered during my 2nd post. Sorry if this came through too obviously.
Nevertheless all the infos you need are in that post. Orcs donīt attack animals, so transformation scrolls are the way to go.
Explaining the exact mine locations again is a waste of time because other forum members have already done this in detail.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:55 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Re: Any tips on healing?

quote:
Originally posted by DarkWeaver
i was about level 51 when i finished the game even on this level it was tough to fight orcs in groups i think your level is just to low

Dude...omg!!! 51?! You must have killed every living thing on that island....twice lol. Did you murder townspeople too?

This is why Gothic is so damn cool, there is no right or wrong way to do things, some of these ideas people are giving are great, I would never even think to transform before entering.

Anyway, since you are only on Chap 2 man, you need to restart and pick up EVERYTHING that is not nailed down and wont get you bashed over the head for taking. The stuff useless to you can be traded in for potions or cash.
My greed for items has led me off the beaten trail many a times into more quests and more exp. And do (literally) every single mission you can if not for the exp for more items to trade in for more cash for more potions (or needed supplies)

As for the VoM, I went in as a level 12 militia, drank a speed potion and ran like hell for the castle. Next morning, just wake up and trail everything to the wooden plank leading to the castle...this is a 'safe' zone. From there, whip out the bow and let the massacre begin. In one game day you can make 6 levels, so easy just with this method alone.

By level 18, heavy militia armor and Orc-Slayer 3 orc warriors are definitely beatable, jsut with backstep and parry alone (I'm used to fighting in this game since G1 tho) The most fun I had in the game was the 2 game days of clearing the entire castle perimeter of the Orcs. I finished with my paladin at 38 and I dont even know how I got there the exp came so fast.

sorry, rambled...anyway as for the mine search, the only one you'll get straight answer from is the one beseiged by snappers. The other 2:
Diego is in his old meeting spot from Gothic 1 (hard to explain location other than that) and Marcos is inside the cave behind the small hut W of the castle (red roof house on your map) Both have crates of ore and are awaiting backup or some such thing
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:58 am