View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hi everyone!
I am really interested in AO!
Does anybody ever played it? Or another MMORPG??
Would be cool if you post your impressions about it .

Post Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:16 pm
Venkeroz
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Why did you post this in Gothic General,
and not in one of the other RPGdot forums??
Post Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:53 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

Because i want to have the opinion about AO from a !Gothicplayer!.
Post Thu Dec 27, 2001 10:09 pm
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

From anyone I know who has played it it is one of the poorer MMORPGs out there, I wouldn't recommend it. Plus you need a monster PC if you want to avoid a game like a slideshow.

[ This Message was edited by: Fez on 2001-12-27 16:20 ]
Post Thu Dec 27, 2001 10:19 pm

No... it's a goood game, the best out there at the moment definatly. At first the game crashed alot, but i haven't crashed in the past month or so. The storyline is wicked and the graphics ace, so yes i would strongly recommend it
Post Fri Dec 28, 2001 3:41 pm

The game sucks, funcom are idiots, dont waste your money. Play Dark ages of Camalot for a stable game. AO will not be around very much longer.
Post Fri Dec 28, 2001 4:22 pm

Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

hmmm....
it is really too expensive to make my own opinion! ;-(
Both anonymous have quite different opinions.
Does anybody knows the books "Shadowrunner" ?
I think it could be compared to AO, couldnt it?

Post Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:32 pm

I love Shadowrun. It's my favorite RPG of all time. I've played AO as well. The concept is GREAT. The graphics are good. The lag is... well... manageable. I had to quit before the story kicked in... but I enjoyed it for hours every night until I ran out of money.

That being said, the gameplay is... repetitive. Like all MMORPGS. You have to build your character a certain way or he dies. The classes are unbalanced.

That's all MMORPGS though. They're MUDS with a pretty graphic overlay, but the same endless, endless repetitiveness in combat. It's all about phat lewt (and social interaction, if listening to some 13 year old scream 'I ownz yoo!' after ambushing you at a spawn point and PKing your ass counts as social interaction). If you like them, AO is good. Especially if you want to get away from a fantasy setting for a bit.

However, for my sci-fi MMORPG fix, I'm waiting for Star Wars Galaxies. It's Star Wars... it CAN'T be bad, even if the game turns out to SUCK.

AO gives you a 7 day demo. You can download it from their site. Give it a try and decide for yourself if it's your kind of game.

Post Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:54 pm

PS: I forgot to mention Funcom ARE idiots. But so was Verant, and I'm not to fond of the boys who manage Ultima Online either.

Idiotic management comes hand in hand with MMORPGs. Haven't tried DAoC though, so I can't say how they manage things...
Post Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:58 pm