Is there interest?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Rithe
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Is there interest?

I would like to get a team together to create an RPG. Graphic-wise similar to Gothic I/II. Single and Multiplayer modes. Toss in some Arx Fatalis item use (similar to adventure games) and the quirkiness and humor of the Quest for Glory series, and you have begun to hint at the idea I have.
First I want to know this though: Is there any interest in playing a game like this, or even with people helping with this. I will need many people: artist, level designers, programmers, sound, music, and all the rest.
So, with a very short description here, what are your thoughts?

Rithe
Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:41 pm
Larinson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just a quick comment for I am no programmer, but if were you I wouldn't set out to make a comedy game, more set out to make a decent RPG and incorporate comedy into it. It's a small difference, but an important one I think.
Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:34 pm
Rithe
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

That would be the idea, to make an RPG, but have humor. If you have played the QFG series, it would be similar to that. It's not all about how many jokes you can tell, or how silly you can make it, but to have those humorous elements, and tell a good story and have good RPG gameplay as well.
I forgot to mention also, that this will most likely be a free game, and possibly open source, but don't hold me to that, because nothing is set in stone.

Rithe
Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:01 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

GFQ 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games. I recently played the qfg1 remake that changed dialogue typing to dialogue choices. I still enjoyed it like I enjoyed playing gfq 3-5 but not as much as typing in my own dialoque. I also don't know how to spell dialoque so the games like that help me improve my horrible english.

Why not make a remake of a qfg? With to fallout open source engine (which is superior to morrowinds, nwn, or ds because it is turn-based). But if you have to go rt, maybe use morrowind since it has all the skills you need besides climbing that I can think of off the top of my head.

I will help if you go turn based, I am not very skilled but my mother says I am handsome so maybe I can attract a female audience to play the game...or help in other ways
Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:47 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

This is a great idea, but unfortunately, I think some of your requirements would make it nearly impossible to finish it within a decent time frame (2-3 years, worked on in people's spare time). High level graphics, a multiplayer mode, interactive world with item use, etc. any of these could bring the project to its knees. Especially something like a multiplayer mode. I've heard developers refer to developing games with single player and multiplayer modes as the equivalent of developing two games at once. Some developers even have separate teams work on both parts of the game at the same time, because the coding and bug testing is rather extensive for multiplayer, and more than one team can handle unless they have additional time.

There's no doubt there's interest in a game like this. I'd say near rabid interest among most RPG fans. It will be hard to attract people to help on your game unless you have a clear and defined goals and have a plan. Essentially, you need to have a lot of documentation or clear directions where the game development proceeds. Still, a design document would help out and show people you've thought through the details and that you mean business.

For example, I work in an undergraduate research lab. When I come up with possible experiments, I cannot just tell my professor, "Well, Dr.--, I have this great idea for a project. Will you approve and fund it?" Nope, he'll reject it. Instead, I need to sell my project ideas to him, Before I speak to him, I must have prepared and thought through my ideas very carefully, and set them down in writing, so he can follow them and know that I'm serious and not wasting his time or money.

Likewise, you are trying to "sell" your vision of this possible game to us. Most of us will say, well, I don't have the skills, the time, the energy, or some other lame excuse. If you show us you have the energy, have done the thinking and preparation, we suddenly can become inspired, too. What you're asking for is a serious time commitment. If you can show others you have spent a ridiculous amount of time planning and thinking it through, then have something to show for your efforts (a design document, world building, drafts of ideas, stories and writing, pictures, etc.), then you will attract a lot of people willing to dedicate time, because you have already. You may have done this already, because, as you mention, all we have here is a short description. Based on a short description, it will be harder for others to jump on.
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:41 am
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: Is there interest?

quote:
Originally posted by Rithe
I would like to get a team together to create an RPG. Graphic-wise similar to Gothic I/II. Single and Multiplayer modes. Toss in some Arx Fatalis item use (similar to adventure games) and the quirkiness and humor of the Quest for Glory series, and you have begun to hint at the idea I have.
First I want to know this though: Is there any interest in playing a game like this, or even with people helping with this. I will need many people: artist, level designers, programmers, sound, music, and all the rest.
So, with a very short description here, what are your thoughts?

Rithe

why dont you make a total conversion of Gothic 1 with the development kit?
of course no multiplayer at all...
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:39 pm
Rithe
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Design Doc

Well, I am working on a Design Document currently. I will probably start putting up parts of it as I get it done. I'm only on the introduction still though. Real Life takes precidence. As for the Gothic 1 SDK, while that would be a great way to do it, I want something that anyone can play, on any OS. Unfortunetly, this means startring from the beginning for the most part.
Will this project take a while? Yes. I would hope that we would be able to release small demos of what is going on though to keep the interest going. The idea is to build a game that is fairly easy to modify, and hopefully build a community that will keep the story going on one way or another.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Winter_Bloom
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

This all sounds interesting, even though I've never played the Gothic games and thus have no frame of reference. I also have zero programming and such skills (well, aside from installing/uninstalling proggies, hardware, etc), but I can write and come up with characters. In other words, I can help desgin quests, write dialog, etc.

To take inspiration from BioWare, one thing they excell at is making one care about the characters in their games, and one of the ways is through in-game romances with NPCs.

If you don't mind a non-technical person (and a bit of a lurker) helping out, then let me know.
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:21 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Sounds like a great idea and a game I'd like to play. I'm totally none technical, but I can write. Keep me in mind when you get that far.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:35 am