Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
All the tips for improving performance!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
bigkabuto192001

All the tips for improving performance!!!!

I got the game here, i'm trying a downloaded version before buying...cause i spent hardworked cash on a game that could run like crap on my pc....

amd 1ghz,348 ram Elsa gladiac 920 geforce3 on windowsxp pro

the game runs FINE inside the ship...once out ....it suffers mayor slowdowns especially in the citys, when i walk in the open field..it's all REALLY REALLY good...running very smooth and all..but as soon as i encounter a village , city..etc...it really bogs down very much...i also
find some textures on buildings kinda washed out.....strange cause those screenshots looked so freaking amazing....it's not what i have here....

anyway, i see that are way too much topics about improving performance...can we just put all the tips up in here....easy reading and easy to find....

my opinion, little dissapointed to be honest..i just miss the realistic AI i had in Gothic, sure the world is amazingly big...its alittle dissapointing when the NPCS seem alittle empty...not living ....sure they walk..but in gothic they really had their jobs...a real life..i just must admit that i really really miss this....then we get to the fighting...to be honest once again...i find it really bad....it just hacking and slashing till the victim dies....really not nice in my opinion...the fighting bores quickly....sorry for all this..i just feel i have to say my honest opinion...just dissapointed in stuff....of course i probably haven't seen ALOTTA stuff....
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:41 pm

Kontetertje

Bump, me thinks this thread definetely needs a bump....
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:55 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Bump, me thinks that it is not good to download game before you buy it.
Me thinks that this violates law in nearly every country I know.
Me thinks that you should not present it here or suggest it as "good way" for someone else.
If you need to try it, you can borrow it from friend or get it from somewhere where you can return it just because it is too slow or just because you do not like it.

Thanks...
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:01 pm
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

uh, sorry, but what does 'bump' mean here on the forums? I've seen it used a lot, but can't figure it out.

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:08 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

You should never download a game that you can get in the store.

Go to EB and buy it, you get 14 days to try it out and if you dont like it you can take it back and exchange it for something else.

In regards to your dissapointments. The fighting feels bad at first because you will hardly ever hit. But once you get good then its a lot more fun. I personally am a long range archer/mage char, and I find the fighting very satisfying. But as I said, at first it was kinda lame.

You should post your game settings as well as your system specs. Then people can give you some advice on improving performance.

The textures are probably washed out if you dont have much GPU memory. I only have 32MB and its kinda washed out for me too. I bet 64MB GPU would be ok, but I think when they show screenshots on the box they are obviously gonna use the best hardware available (128MB).

I agree with you on the AI. it isnt anywhere near as sophisticated as Gothic. But I think they concentrated on making an open ended story rather than concentrating on each individual character. I am sure if you stick at the game a lot longer you will appreciate what they DID concentrate on rather than what they didnt.

I have been playing for about 15-20hrs now and I am only lvl 5 and am just starting to scratch the surface. Go buy the game from EB and give it a chance, you wont be dissapointed if you stick at it.

If you want to help people get access to the performance tips easily, then post a bunch of links in this thread to the other threads. I can guarantee you that no one is gonna repost all their advice in this thread again, thats just a waste of time.

Bump is when you post a message ina thread just so that it gets "Bumped" back to the top of the list. Keeps the thread alive...
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:15 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

The point of thread isn't where you bought the game; instead put a thread on improving performance in the "sticky" mode so that everyone will see it first, since just about every third thread involves performance. Put a sticky post for all the tips of improving performance.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:20 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

BUMP=bumping the post up in the topic menu. When you post, the topic goes up. When you bump, you just post anything, so it goes up and gets more attention.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:15 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Bump - still think we need a sticky thread on improving performance tips
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:30 pm
bigkabuto1

First of all, i'm from holland, we don;t have something like an EB here,,,i have to wait till 21 june for the game..downloading this game is for me like testing out a demo cause iself know for myself i will stop playing the game after i see how it runs......í am like that...rarely download games..i like buying a game cause you have the feeling of having something precious or something like that.....so i ain't someone who downloads a game...like it? i go buy it....it has always been that with me...if you don't believe me or whatever..it's your problem...i just tested out this game i was concerned how it would run.....like i said...it's like a demo for me....good example...
when i completely played the english gothic to death i got an offer from a msn friend to download gothic, he already had it for long ....i said nope...i want the full original game...this game's too good for that...i want the full box...everything...i still want the limited edition of MW....it's really simple actually....people that download games and don't do anything else than that ...those are assasasins of developers ....well sort of.....
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:42 pm

XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

true gamers get there games anyway they can

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:17 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by XeroX
true gamers get there games anyway they can

That has got to be one of the most unintelligent things I have ever read on these forums.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:20 am

Yes, and it is 'get their', not 'get there'.
Elementary grammar people...
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:39 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Yes, and it is 'get their', not 'get there'.
Elementary grammar people...

Exactly. Oh by the way, I camped outside Electronics Boutique and killed a small boy who ran out of the store very excided that he got his copy of Morrowind. That is how I got my copy, Collectors Edition AND Strategy guide too! Ph34r me for I am a l337 "true gamer"

Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:48 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

This is one of the most significant things I have noticed. While changing AI does hardly nothing (at least noticably for me)...just lowering the View distance can greatly improve the Framerates/performance.

Just fiddling I moved View from 100% to 50% and it increased my outside framerates from 9-15fps to about 20fps average.

And at 50% you can still see most everything off in the distance..just not way way off (which you dont need to see anyways)

Just my thoughts
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:58 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

who gives a fuck about grammer.
english isn't my basic lanquage.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Wed May 08, 2002 8:57 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next