Anyone know anything about Soulbringer?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Anyone know anything about Soulbringer?

Hey all, I just went on a massive spending binge ($20 ) at Walmart and bought the Fallout 1/2 bundle, and the Planescape/Soulbringer bundle, all of which I've never played before.... Is Soulbringer any good? I tend to be a pleasure delayer, so I plan on playing the best game last (my order I think would be Fallout 1, Planescape, then Fallout 2)... I wonder whether Soulbringer is even worth playing, and if so, where should I stick it in the playing order...

Hehe, this is a FUN dilemma to have
- Wind
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:58 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Soulbringer is a good game, Fallout 1 and 2 are great games and Planescape is simply the best. So you have to play in this order:

Soulbringer

Fallout 1
Fallout 2

Planescape Torment
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:24 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Planescape is definitely a "thinking man's" game. Conversation is far and away the most important part of the game. That doesn't make it bad (Planescape is a great game), but it does make it one that will require your full concentration. With 3 kids and a bored wife, I've never managed to get a big enough block of hard-core gaming time to finish it, even though it is great. Don't know if that would affect your rankings, but thought you oughta know...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:38 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Soulbringer was a positive surprise for me. It's got a great story, somewhat nice graphics and lots of speech, effects and moves. It's a bit too hard (for me) but if you can handle it, I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it. I'd probably play that one first but I never played the other ones so who am I to talk, right?
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:39 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Personally, I enjoyed Fallout series better than Planescape. Probably because I prefer Sci-Fi over Fantasy and prefer SPECIAL system over D&D2e. I also found freedom in Fallout 2 absolutely invigorating, while Planescape was a lot more linear (you had to finish the area and then you were moved on to the next area). But both were absolutely, positively a cut above the rest.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:46 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

@Mattias:

I know your favorite game is Wasteland (see top rated games), maybe you should give Fallout 1 & 2 a chance if you find the time. For me the Fallout games are a good mix out of Wasteland and the Dark Sun games.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:19 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Mattias Kreku
Soulbringer was a positive surprise for me. It's got a great story, somewhat nice graphics and lots of speech, effects and moves. It's a bit too hard (for me) but if you can handle it, I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it. I'd probably play that one first but I never played the other ones so who am I to talk, right?

Wow I'm getting excited. 4 good games for $20

- Wind
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:44 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

The first time I installed Soulbringer I didn't like the control system and the camera system, but then I decided to give it another go and I loved it, it was quite enjoyable but the map looks alot larger than the game really is, for example when I was about a fourth of the way through I thought I was only a tenth of the way through. Fallout 1 rocked big time and I enjoyed every minute of it, I never got to Fallout 2 but I've heard it was better than Fallout 2.
*puts on flame retardant suit*
Planescape wasn't as good for me as it was for everyone else. I didn't enjoy the story much. BTW the version in the bundle pack is different, I think they cut out speech or movies or something because the normal version is 4 discs and the bundle pack is 2. I can't say what they cut out because I have the bundle pack, maybe someone else on this board could enlighten us because I really wanted to know when I was playing it but didn't find any explanation on the net.

I would play the games in this order.

Planescape
Fallout 1 or 2
Soulbringer
The other fallout.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:59 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks for the responses folks. I've settled on this scheme:

Fallout 1
Soulbringer
Planescape
Fallout 2

It's a Fallout sandwich

- Wind
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:51 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Play them in order? What are you guys talking about, of course you install them ALL, and play them ALL, thats how i do it.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:16 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I agree with Rawis, just flip a coin. Though I wouldn't play Fallout 2 before 1.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:29 am
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Some of you are picky. I do what Rawis does, install 'em all and then play whatever the hell ya want.

If you are gonna play through an order definately save the Fallouts for last. Planescape is a great game...but the Fallouts are classics. I think I should buy those bundles, I played all but Soulbringer by borrowing it off my friends.

Planescape
Soulbringer
Fallout
Fallout 2

Unreal 2: The Disappointment
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:49 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by Suicidal Cockroach
I agree with Rawis, just flip a coin. Though I wouldn't play Fallout 2 before 1.

Don't install Fallout 1, its pretty much, umm crap. Since you have to do it on time, and its not a very long game. Fallout 2 rocks, its like Fallout 1 but bigger.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:09 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Many people argue that fallout 1 was better. Mainly based on the fact that it was 1. orginal and 2. a lot more true to its atmosphere. Namely, it had more "soul."
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:33 pm
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

For me, it's hard to say which one of Fallouts is better, they are both great games. I think there hasn't been a single RPG since, with the possible exception of Arcanum, that has achieved the level of atmosphere, freedom and attitude. Arcanum lags a bit behind in the attitude-section, otherwise it comes close to these. The time limit in Fallout 1 is bad, but there are easy ways to remove it.

But I'd suggest playing Fallout 1 before 2, like Suicidal Cockroach said.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:42 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next