Just finished Gothic II the other day
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
CarnalSalvation
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Just finished Gothic II the other day

I wanted to share my impressions. I know this has been done before, but I haven't had a chance to say my part.

I heard people say the game really trailed off, but I thought they were being nitpicky. The game really lost interest for me toward the end. By the time I was in Irdorath I had no desire to finish the game really. I ended up finishing only because I couldn't get that far and then not. I had no drive to continue. The game became just hack and slash and it was boring. And this is coming from a guy who enjoyed the Might and Magic games.

The first 3 chapters were awesome though. The 4th would have been better if the dragons didn't blow the character away

I did like the way the game ended though. It was cool to have it not end conclusively. I found that fitting and it makes me drool for the expansion! Luckily it seems they're moving quickly on that eh?

Anyways just wanted to say my piece on that. I was bedazzled at the start and greatly let down by the end. I mean Irdorath wasn't half as scary as my first trip back into the Colony. Now that was really intimidating and scary.
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:10 am
Punter X
Village Leader
Village Leader

well seeing as how you thought you'd share your opinion i thought i'd do the same and since most of the others have already gave theirs, as you pointed out, i'm starting to feel left out

now that i think about it i suppose i'd have to agree with you in many areas but to be honest i'd attribute most of it to the sacrifice made for having such freedom of movement during the chapters. this has resulted in the potential for large differences in character development (with most here having almost god-like characters at early chapters who could probably single-handedly repel an orc invasion if one were to occur as early as chapter 2). i know what you mean by losing the will by chapter 6 with the game being reduced to slaughtering creatures to a warcry of "XP" but in fairness there's only so many people who can give you quests (just as a matter of interest can you still receive quests normally from chapter 1 from later chapters?)

irdorath itself was little more that i killfest but it was pretty much as i expected (although as was pointed out by others) it would have been nice to see the crew do a bit more and look as if there was a real reason for them to be there as opposed to being reduced to trainers and traders.

after saying all that it may seem a bit odd but i found my attention waning by chapter 3 with much after that done on autopilot. here's why:

chapter 1 - explored khorinis as much as possible, talking to pretty much anyone i could talk to and doing any quests i could

chapter 2 - explored the old colony as much as possible, talking to anyone i could talk to and doing any quest i could (as long as i didn't have to confront any of the dragons). also i suppose i was curious how it had all changed since G1

chapter 3 - freed bennet and did some stuff about the eye of innos. monotony starts to sink in because i've already completely explored the map (although i suppose they knew this would happed cuz that's when you get the teleport runes)

chapter 4 - curious about the dragons (as with most here, found them less than impressive in combat). did some stuff for various people which to me didn't really add much to the story (although the meatbug quest for brutus was amusing and it was a nice touch to see the ore camps being attacked). incidentally i also went dragon egg hunting in khorinis but that was just a case of following a map and killing large amounts of lizardmen.

chapter 5 - can't remember too much of relevence apart from going to the monastry to learn how to get better equipment and getting a crew together

chapter 6 - killed lots of stuff and nearly got lost in the catacombs (never did have a good sense of direction). finished the game

now many might disagree and say that there's loads of exciting and important stuff i didn't mention and they may well be right but these are just my preliminary thoughts on the matter.

the ending: i liked the way in which the crew was out to meet you after you killed the undead dragon and to be honest i have no problem with the idea of xardas wanting the power of the avatar of beliar (afterall isn't he a necromancer and even represented beliar in the ritual to recharge the eye) but once again it would have been nice to see the crew more

a last few points (i can sense you taking a sigh of relief already)

i don't know what everyone else thinks but i thought it would be nice if there were a few more fmv but then again that's just my personal preference

maybe it was just me but i didn't feel as though any of the characters were as filled out as G1 (wouldn't it have been nice if you did more with "the boys" or even if later on you found them all together talking about stuff). even lee was nothing exceptional as you already knew his story from G1 (i even think that in G1 it tells you slightly more about the crime he was framed for) with most others doing the "don't i know you" line but that's about it

well there's probably loads more but i'm sure i've bored you enough so i'll end it here

if you got this far thank for reading
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:52 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

i'm still in chapter 4, because am im to weak to deafeat the dragons ...
thats because i rushed trough the game without training, im now in lv 15.
does someone knows which level it required to beat a dragon?
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:52 pm
Punter X
Village Leader
Village Leader

well i don't think that there's are level requirement per se (although by chapter 4 i think i was in the 30s when it can to level and so pretty much charged them head on, kill them in a handful of hits). if you're having some trouble here's a few tips

1) as far as i know you can enlist the aid of cipher and rod in defeating the swamp dragon

2) for the other dragons i've hear that they are susceptible to the "troll trick". this pretty much involved constantly running around behind them and hitting them a couple of times before they turn around (repeat until dead)
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:43 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

thnx...
i will try that!
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:13 pm