Members
Usergroups
Making the Mage
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Dude

Making the Mage

Im attempting to make a mage. Im trying to not have nay sword/axe etc skills but i may have to. I cant decide on armor types but i know im having atleast two. Of course i have all the magic skills, (alteration, illusion, mysticism, destruction, enchant) Should i even have enchant? Ive heard a few complaints about it and its made me unsure What do you guys think??
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:21 pm

Dude

Seems like no1 is on
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:46 pm

Now dont all reply at once!
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:59 pm

Coconuts
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Patience, my friend.

Making a pure mage isn't that hard, but playing one often is. If you don't want to concede to the pressures of the "easy game", you are going to have to make it without armor or a good longblade.

In general, you are going to want destruction, restoration, unarmored, and one other skill in your majors. Enchant should probably go there too, but only if you really dont want to pay money. The player's enchanting ability is significantly hampered in the game--in order to make a constant effect enchantment you have to buff up your intelligence and luck to about 1000 each (rather, a 120 pt enchantment, not necessarily a CS, but usually thats what you want to make), and you'll still fail a couple times. However, if you are really commited you can save TONS of $$$, though enchanting is probably the only use for cash for a mage anyway. Your choice, of course.

Minors, I would fill out the rest of the magic skills and take blunt to carry a staff. If you truly feel the need for more protection than unarmored can give you, you might try light, but it kind of kills the entire "pure mage" concept.

Shakti's provided a really cool way to get lots of mana and magic resistance that is almost to the point of breaking the game for a mage. What you do is take Conjuration and the sign of the Atronach. That gives you tons of mana but you can only absorb spells to regain mana. So, you can simply summon up a ghost or bonewalker, punch it once or twice to make it mad at you, and then let it cast spells on you and bring back your mana.

If you want to create a "hybrid" of mage and fighter, I would recommend strongly against it. You will find yourself using less and less of your magic skills and just your weapon skills, and in a while it wont be all that much fun. Even though my hybrid character was mostly mage, it was still really hard for me to progress in the mage guilds because I never used my magic skills, and instead had to use training spells to raise skill points to advance.

Last thing: though you should try to use all your skills in the field, if you need some help in advancement, go to spellmaking and create a spell that costs one mana and gives one second of waterwalk, chameleon, restore hp, or whatever, For destruction try a sap one fatigue on self spell. These will help you get skill levels if normal use isnt panning out well enough.

Good luck!!
~Coconuts

The man who couldn't find a horse.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:10 pm

Thankyou for your input Mr. Coconut! Hawaii will be honored.....lol
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:16 pm