What future brings..?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

What future brings..?

Well nothing good apparently, at least at the moment.

Some of us were (and still are) waiting for Lionheart it suppose to came out this month, no such luck the earliest we will see it is in August. Then there is GothicII it has been planed for February, then March, then May and now nobody really knows when. For God sake I probably sooner learn German than see this game on the market.

My favorite gaming is turn based so are the Goldenland and Grayhawk it’s been said there are around the corner, my question is witch one? It feels like looking at the corners of 100 side dice, how many corners are there?

I had high hopes for Inquisitor, unfortunately they don’t have publisher @#^&*@#!!!! well that’s what I think. There is also Another War II if they don’t change the combat system, hell will freeze over before I would recommend this piece to anybody.

Deus Ex II and Thief III where the hell are they!! Is it the time to see them or at least hear some more info about. I hate silence and everybody knows what silence brings, that’s right big storm, and the storm is in that case will be called CANCELED. I don’t think these two games will meet that end but the way the things are going.

Speaking of cancellations, everybody remembers Jagged Alliance 3 we buried our hopes, then some CEO speaks up that JA3 might yet see the daylight, one comment like that and nothing further. Well “hello” to you too.

MMORPGs let’s not even go there.

Out of gender but same effect Commandos3, now we have level boss??

Fell free to add some thoughts on your disappointments.
Post Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:40 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I don't disagree on most of your points but that's life for a gamer, I suppose. I'm going to give Mistmare a go, so there's one RPG that is on the near horizon.
Post Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:39 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yep.......quite agree..........seems to be an RPG vacuum at the moment.

Annoying but true....

I am consoling myself with Never Winter Nights at the mo.

I did go out and buy Port Royale at the weekend to fill a bit of a gaming gap at the moment. Has a 75% from PCZone and a couple of mid 80%'s from various websites. If you liked the old Pirates game, this might fill your void. Not an RPG, but you do get xp and gain higher command abilities....lots of trading and exploring.

The trouble is, when these games eventually turn up all at once, which one to get first ??

I have also started Baldurs Gate 1 again as it has been 3 years since I played it............maybe some games on your shelf might be worth a second bash with a different character (?).

Or pick up an average bargain bin game to keep you going for a few months.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:44 pm
spritex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am pretty sure that Deus Ex II and Thief III will not be cancelled. I don't think they are even behind promised schedules (they say "they are ready when they are ready").

There is a deliberate media blackout on Thief III which will supposedly end in E3 this May.

Deus Ex II will come out first. I'd guess this autumn/winter. Thief III next spring?

Edit: there is a Deus Ex II (actually called Deus Ex: Invisible War) here:
http://www.pczone.co.uk/
Scroll down to Previews - free registration.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:55 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Maybe it just goes like this... do you think? I mean... these RPG games take a really long time to produce--three, four or five years--sometimes even longer right? Maybe 2002 being such a landmark year for RPG's guarantees a slow period for a little while afterwards.

It was probably just lucky timing that all those great games were released in 2002. However, it also probably means that new game releases will trickle in until some of the next wave of games with super long production lead times are finished up and prepared for release. I doubt that the game industry could, in any way, support the release of games that have been in development for four or five years one right after the other like it did in 2002 on a regular basis. Game releases would quickly deplete the supply of finished games--it would have to since game releases are annual and game development is four years or so. I'll bet that this is probably just what we're seeing right now with this game drought.

I think the cargo has been delivered so to speak... now it's time to load up again which it seems would have to cause a lull. The devs that have just released games now have the same long road ahead of them all over again for their next project.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:57 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I kinda liked it better when i didnt actaully follow game developments at all and just bought a game that looked cool at the store. Now i have to go through all the anguish of waiting for good games to come out. Im thinking of buying an Xbox for KoTOR so i dont have to wait as long...

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:15 pm