mistmare demo
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
xenocide
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

mistmare demo

I saw this link on voodooextreme. I know a lot of people here are looking forward to this game and I didn't see it posted here anywhere.

Mistmare Demo:

http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/mistmare/mistmare-demo1.1.exe.html
Post Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:15 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Thank you for that link!!! I waited so long for that game!

I checked Fileshack after reading your post, it's here too:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=2488
Post Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:19 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Perhaps I'm not having a good day but I'm finding the control scheme unbearable. It looks like there's a deep RPG to be experienced but controlling the camera to see where I'm going is sucking the fun out so far.

*sigh* I'll try again tomorrow. I realise game developers are pushed for time and money but the interface is simply critical.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:22 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

The game didn't give me as much joy as I expected, but I like it anyway.

And it's true that the camre system could be better, but maybe they will change that in the finall version of the game.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:43 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I tried the demo, the graphics was okay, ran pretty good on my comp. But the camera view was terrible, almoust impossible to walk around... and the fights, they were terrible too.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:52 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

yeah i also found the whole camera and control scheme unbearable ... and people complain about gothics controls... wow ... looked interesting other than that.

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:17 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I was very interested in the mistmare demo until I entered a room and for 15 minutes could not navigate out of it.

Most everything in the controls is something like neverwinter nights, except that there is no mouse move. I strongly hope they emulate that part for the final version cause I couldnt figure out how to exit a room.
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:40 am
xenocide
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

For me, the controls were not as bad as most people seem to think they are. They are definitly weird, and the game would and could be much better with a better control scheme, but they do work.

The key is DO NOT use 1st person view and DO NOT use the keyboard to control your char. Press tab until you get to free mode. Then right click where you want to go and your char. will go there. Hold down the middle mouse button to swivel the camera. It is strange and takes getting used to but does work. To enter or leave areas, left click once on the door, then in the upper left of the screen, click on the orb with the arrow that is "go to".

It is a shame that this game will be marred by such a bad control scheme. The rest of the game looks really good.
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:52 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmm.... for such a large demo in terms of kb it is remarkably short

Most of the locations just do nothing when you try to enter them.

Everyone likes to come up with a game its most like to describe a game... I do also. Neverwinter nights. It is a GREAT deal like neverwinter nights.

The graphics are better than neverwinter nights. The story is interesting.
I am hung up on the first combat scene I just plain die.

The controls are imo inferior to NWN. Just for fun try and run up and down the spiral staircase and see how long it takes.

There are few items in the demo... few people with anything to say, and few quests. Its more an example of the engine I would say.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:23 am
Dhruin

It's not just an example of the engine, that's the problem.

This is a full "episode" from the game which has reached Release Candidate status; in other words it's basically finished apart from some bugs/fine tuning.

I think there is potential, but this game will not receive good reviews which will damage it's sales. The control scheme is not as bad as my initial impression but is still an impediment to fully enjoying the game. In addition, the save-on-exit-only and the fixed 800x600 resolution will not be well-received.

The developers seem willing to tweak some of the keys and perhaps patch the resolution later but the basic control structure won't change because there is no collision detection built into the game so standard shooter movement is not possible. I hope some of the tweaks are effective.

If anyone is thinking of trying Mistmare I'd urge you to put aside any preconceptions of how movement should be. Change to "Freecam", use the mouse to click on destinations and the middle-mouse to change the camera. Don't attempt to use the keyboard or think in terms of a shooter and you might see through to the real game itself.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:42 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Hmm, this is bad. I was and still am having high hopes for Mistmare. I can't download the demo for myself, since it's too large for my petty 56K. Does the demo seem stable? And how much are the developers willing to change the interface and movement? This is critical.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:23 pm
Dhruin

Well...the demo seems stable to me. The only complaints I've seen about bugs on the Mistmare boards seem reasonably isolated.

As for the interface, the developers seem reasonably prepared to implement some limited changes. A couple of posts from the devs sound disgruntled that this feedback didn't come earlier - sometimes it sounded like they blamed the public but I gather the real reason is their publisher forced some interface design and demo release restrictions on them.

I think they'll add the ability to remap mouse buttons (can only change keyboard commands at the moment) and tinker with a few small things that should have some postive effect. It is my belief that the original design choice was a poor one, however it's impossible to implement a shooter-like control scheme because there's no collision detection.

Ultimately I think they will make some useful modifications that will appease many people but it will never be an ideal control scheme.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:37 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

The game may turn out very cool because the written material in it is very cool.
Very orignal fantasy theme. The demo itself is not worht your bandwidth is all I can say.

The actual game has the potential to be good or bad I dont really know yet.
Thats in whether the combat is challenging... the character development... and a lot of other things I dont know about from the demo.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:46 pm