Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Want to give me some new character device?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
irritantnumber6
Village Leader
Village Leader

Want to give me some new character device?

I'd abandoned the game a few months ago. I hated how it ran on my computer, and I felt like I was drowning in the interface.

However, the game runs like butter on my fancy new Falcon NW machine, and the upcoming expansion pack reportedly fixes the journal problem.

I figure I should get the expansion, start over with a character that avoids the stuff I hated from before (alchemy YECHH, enchant YAWN).

I had been playing a Dark Elf magic centered mage/assassin. I would like to take a completely different tack, and play a simpler fighter with (obviously) combat focus.

I'll forget the Mage Guild quests and get that job they wouldn't hire me for before -- Temple Guard, or something. I'll kick butt on the Fighter Guild quests.

I'd like my secondary skills to be more thief than magic oriented.

So here are my questions.

Can I play with little or no magic focus?

Can a tank learn thief skills? Can I pickpocket in heavy armor?

Will I completely lose access to the convenient Mage teleport system, or will it just cost me a lot more to use?

Should I play a fighter/assassin of some kind? What race would be best?

I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have. Thanks!
Post Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:53 pm
blackwinter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ive just started again too because my idea of making a Nord healer who was only good at healing and blunt weapons really sucked. So i started again making a nord rouge who was excellent with an axe and a shield. Now nothing can stop me and im only early in the game.
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:02 am
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

Magic isn't really necessary, I played a mage/warrior and used my 2 handed sword a lot more than magic, as magic isn't really effective in this game against monsters. A tank can learn thief skills and pickpocket, maybe not as good as a thief, but you can learn and use them. I'm not sure about the mage teleport system, but you could just join the Mage's Guild for use of the teleports. You could play a good fighter assassin by using a Khajit with light armor and short swords and thief skills. he would be very fast and powerful and make a good thief as well. but that's just one possibility among many. hope this helps!
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:23 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yay! Another pure warrior!

I'm totally uninterested in magic in this game - really! It takes too long to select the spell you want to fire, you suck at lower levels, you fail spells at the most unhelpful of times, and you have to keep resting to regenerate Magicka. Yuk.

I currently play a custom-class warrior Orc, whose details may be found here. I left some room for expansion into magic, but haven't used it - I'm level 14 or so, I'm quite far through the main quest (Caius has gone home), I've done many other quests all over the island, and I've only ever cast one spell - a Mark next to the Creeper.

You can find amulets for most useful things (Mark, Recall, * Intervention, minor Levitation) and scrolls are useful for summons.

I'd recommend still having *some* Alchemy skill though, there are many places where you really need a good strong Levitation, and Water Walking is very useful too. Restores and Cures you can buy as and when you need them.

Katakk is a bit of a tank. If I was going to make him again, I'd probably drop Light Armour and Short Blade, have Speechcraft and Block in there somewhere, and ditch the magic entirely. Being able to switch roles was not as useful as I originally thought, so I'd recommend sticking to one melee weapon and one armour type.

I've already got my next char planned though: a law-abiding archer, with Light Armour, Marksman, Long Blade, Speechcraft, Armourer and a few other things. Again, no magic for me... This time I'm going to try to not steal at all, to carry everything I need, and to not abuse Alchemy and trainers. I'll let you know how I get on, after Katakk finally beats the main quest.
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:22 am
irritantnumber6
Village Leader
Village Leader

If I robustly develop Alteration, can I forget about Security?

Here's what I'd like to try:

Focus: Combat
Race: Imperial

Primary:
Spear
Heavy Armor
Long Blade
Marksman
Speechcraft

Secondary:
Alteration
Acrobatics
Athletics
Sneak
Restoration or ?

How does this tank sound?
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:22 pm
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

sounds good, you will be much better off with alteration than with security.
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:37 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Too fast?

I wonder whether you'll be levelling too fast with Athletics AND Acrobatics as Minor skills. (This may seem like overanalysis, but stick with me...) This really just means that you'll get harder enemies while you're weaker than normal, and you'll be quite a high level before you're really travelling very fast. My level 14 warrior has Athletics and Acrobatics in about the 60s and he's quite nippy - you'd need ~80 improves to get up there, each of which mean a point towards level. I tend to think of these skills as supporting skills, that shouldn't dictate the progression of the character. They tend to increase quite happily on their own as Misc.

That said, with your skill distribution you have a good spread of controlling attributes (END END STR PER AGI ; WIL STR SPE AGI WIL), and I expect you'll be using LB, HA, Acrobatics, Athletics & Alteration the most (STR END STR SPE WIL), so you should get some good warrior-type bonuses on level up. Might be nice to get an AGI into your commonly-used skills - Block or something - unless you use Marksman and Sneak a lot.

Other than all that, yeah this looks like a goer.

Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:06 am
Rhiannon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I suggest you make a character you really want to play, not just
make up one which levels fast or to try out new combinations.
I made myself an allround rogue/ranfer character and in the creation
process I choose magic just to balance my character, as my
minor/major skills don't include any magic skills. This way
attrribute and skill points are spread more evenly, and you can
take your character every way you want it to.
For instance, if I'm getting tired of myself using a bow, as I do
now, I might switch to using magic or melee. In this way my character
is not going to 'drag' when I switch the way I play.
Also I won't have to create a new character and start al over again,
only because I want something else. Balance is the keyword here.

moi
Post Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:06 pm
Mereel77
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hey Gish, I'm using an assassin/thief like you described, but as a wood elf. I currently have Alchemy and Enchanting as skills, do they really work out or should I restart with new ones? My char's only a day old. Also, is it possible to join the Dark Brotherhood or some other assassin guild?
Post Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:39 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Assassins are popular aren't they? ;)

Most people's problem with Alchemy is that it makes the game a bit easy. It's a really fast way of making money and a dead easy way of getting bonuses to INT on level up. That said, if you regulate yourself you should have no problems - don't steal Alchemy Apparatus from anywhere (earn it - buy it yourself), don't buy ingredients with the specific purpose of making potions in bulk, don't abuse Fortify Intelligence potions/spells. If you need a specific potion, buy the ingredients to make it - if you want to make potions to sell, go pick the ingredients yourself!

I personally don't use Enchant at all, so can't really recommend it either way. Some people think it's a waste of time when you can pay to get a guaranteed 100% success on item creation. I don't like the fact that you can make magic items at all. YMMV.

You can't join the Dark Brotherhood, but there're some local boys that do the same job. Look around the houses in Balmora and check people's professions. (Look through the Spoilers forum if you want more details!)
Post Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:19 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Alchemy abuse is really hard to avoid, unless you have an iron will. I had to restart a character because I had alch as a major skill. Once I started the abuse (mass production was my vice), my character was levelling up WAY too fast. If you think you'll fall into alch abuse, make sure you don't have it as a major or minor skill. You'll be able to crank it up just fine anyway.

I came to the same conclusion about acrobatics and athletics. They increase quite nicely on their own and will make you level up too quickly if they are selected as major/minor skills.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:00 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Also take into consideration that racial bonuses can influence on your minor and major skills. If you like to use long sword, check up Reguard; if you prefer Axe, look up for Nord, etc. Another thing, if you want more balanced character (both in magic & figthing skills), go for Dark Elves.
Post Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:34 am