Having heaps of "crash" Problems..plz help

Allright let's start at the beginning..., I bought a new computer:

AMD 2700+
120 Gig S-ata Maxtor diamond plus
512 MB 400 Mhz Dimm / Kingston
Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB
I have Win XP pro. with service pack
Direct X 9.0a and Catalist 3.5 I think

I started playing a few weeks ago, I played for almost 2 weeks, it didn't crash even once!!!
That week my brand new hard drive crashed..., so I bring it back to the shop.. they where able to make a ghost (my savegames secured) I got a new disk.
I installed windows, asus drivers, sapphire drivers, and direct X.
Next I installed Gothic 2 and I place the save games in the saves dir.
I go playing and after maybe half an hour it just stopped... no error or anything, so I started the game again,.. half an hour later it stopped again.
I was accepting it and I thougt I'll live wirh it.. however, the next day I wanted to play and it stopped every 2 minutes..., Realy frustrating.
I uninstalled and installed it again..., thinkin it might be the savegame, I started a new game.. it did the same..., So I formatted my Hard disk and did everything the same way as before.. same error.
I installed the new catalist drivers, and now it still hangs, but different, it says...:
VPU Recover has reset the graphic-accelerator beceause it wasn't responding to the driver (translated from Dutch)
And then it stopped, I tried other 3D applications and they all hung.. I went to the store.. tested.. nothing wrong with it..., So when I went home I reformatted de C drive AGAIN..., installed the normal driver from the sapphire disk.. start Gothic 2.. voila,.,. CRASH!!! I am really getting sick of formatting my hard drive.. could someone please tell me what I can do or check?...

Thanks in Advance..., (and sorry for the boring story)
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:39 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Impaler,

Welcome to the forums,

I might be able to help you (no promises) but i would like some further info's
such as:-

1. What is the exact model and version of your asus mobo'?
2. What is the mobo' bios version and date?
3. What is the mobo' chipset make and model?
3. Did the shop install the 2nd HDD or yourself?
4. Do you have only a master HDD and master cd-rom/dvd or do you have
other drives?

Do not despair, there is always help somewhere.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:52 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

Remove the "service pack".
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:21 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Why do people think that reformatting a hard drive will neccesserally solve all their problem? How could the installation of Windows go so wrong at only one point, that reinstalling it would fix the problem? In fact, too much reformating is really not good for your drive...

Okay, enough grumbling for me. Now to try and help you out.

First things first, service pack should not have affected your system in such a manner, that is, if you had it installed.
Second, the problems you described usually originates from bad graphical drivers. But, then again, the graph. card could have gotten in an infinite loop for other software and hardware reasons, such as old card bios that doesn't work best with newer drivers, or even overheating of the card itself...

Okay, that's for starters. I would go for different drivers first, since the card used to work as it is (meaning: with the current bios).
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:04 pm
Impaler
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am sorry for not replying any sooner but I'm only able to do this at school cause My dad stopped our internet account for a different one..

This is the mainboard:
The ASUS A7V600 motherboard is loaded with the most advanced technologies to deliver the maximum performance for socket A processors. Based on the advanced VIA KT600 chipset with FSB 400 and DDR 400 support, the ASUS A7V600 also features AGP8X, serial ATA, USB 2.0 as well as 6-channel audio and Gigabit LAN. Unique ASUS features such as ASUS C.O.P, C.P.R., and more are included to ensure the best user experience and value in a motherboard.
with...
The CrashFree BIOS 2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support CD. Users can reboot their system through the support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process. ASUS motherboards now enable users to enjoy this protection feature without the need to pay for an optional ROM.

That's really all i can find about bios or anything.. does this help?

THX..Greetz
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:39 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I was talking about the bios on the graphics card. If you can find a newer one on Sapphire site, I would suggest you download and flash it. You can check the current bios version when you turn on your pc, thats about the first number that pops out, in the left upper corner...

Updateing motherboard bios can help as well...
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:35 pm
Socio
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would upgrade to CAT 4.1 drivers, but you have to do it right, I would check out this thread for correct un-installing of old drivers and installing new ones to avoid any problems.

See here;http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=05c5728526bc831d47d0b825599499f4&threadid=33738545

I have 9800XT and CAT 4.1's and no graphic related crashes with Gothic2!

Also upgrade your DirectX to 9.0b!
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:34 pm
Darth Ronald

Isn't it the problem that Gothic 2 works better with directX 8.1 then with nr.9. I've also got some problems with crashing of the game and this was fixed by using nr. 8.
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:54 pm