Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Any comments on The lousy support from Pyhrana?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

lol that gothic what is right now out and that one will be great forever
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:17 pm
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I agree with Chyren....would've been nice if they released it multi-lingual from the start.
I would guess they didn't really know how well it would be percieved outside Germany and that's why they didn't do i...and I suspect Gothic 2 will be world wide a lot faster.(if Gothic sells fairly well outside Germany at least)

About bugs...I can agree that vital bugs should be fixed,I never encountered them anywhere though...
I've had crashes (memory leak I suspect) but this is after running 4+ hours and with the huge seemless world that is Gothic I would expect this to happen.
There must be some config that reveals the bug,either HW,SW or combo related...I have a T-bird 1.2 Ghz with AOpen soundcard,Radeon 64 Meg DDR,Win 98 SE.
I'll install it on my new box too just to see it run on it.(which could give a hint on why since we could look for similarities in setup and give PB something more solid to work on if it wrecks havoc on it)
That's a P4 2Ghz,SB Live 5.1,GF2 Ti 200,Win XP so it's a completely different setup apart from RAM being SDRAM on that box too.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:21 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:

On 2002-01-23 14:21, Rainstorm wrote:
I agree with Chyren....would've been nice if they released it multi-lingual from the start.
I would guess they didn't really know how well it would be percieved outside Germany and that's why they didn't do i...and I suspect Gothic 2 will be world wide a lot faster.(if Gothic sells fairly well outside Germany at least)

About bugs...I can agree that vital bugs should be fixed,I never encountered them anywhere though...
I've had crashes (memory leak I suspect) but this is after running 4+ hours and with the huge seemless world that is Gothic I would expect this to happen.
There must be some config that reveals the bug,either HW,SW or combo related...I have a T-bird 1.2 Ghz with AOpen soundcard,Radeon 64 Meg DDR,Win 98 SE.
I'll install it on my new box too just to see it run on it.(which could give a hint on why since we could look for similarities in setup and give PB something more solid to work on if it wrecks havoc on it)
That's a P4 2Ghz,SB Live 5.1,GF2 Ti 200,Win XP so it's a completely different setup apart from RAM being SDRAM on that box too.

It's gonna ROCK on that system. I won't have one that good until I can do a trade-in with my Gateway in August, but I'll play Gothic again to see how it runs.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:41 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:

On 2002-01-23 13:17, Daedalus wrote:
lol that gothic what is right now out and that one will be great forever

Exactly. I dont care what anyone wanna say.
Gothic is the best 3d rpg I've ever played "bugs" and all.
And no game is flawless, so when I played the game for 14hrs on the 1st Saturday getting it, yea of course Im gonna expect something to give way, a fatal exception or error in a memory related area usually (perfectly acceptable in my book).
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:51 pm
tuidjy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I guess the guys who defend Gothic are pretty
much like me. I have a nice, relatively new
system, and I did not see even a single bug
while I finished the game. But I recommended
it to a coworker, who installed it on a
Win2000 PC, and although he had a GForceIII,
just like I do, his game tended to crash
about five minutes after he loaded a save.

We ended up fixing the problem by playing
with his video card settings, but I could see
how he would think that Gothic is a buggy
game while I would have thought that it is
totally bug free.

Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 11:40 pm
Torracat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

On 2002-01-21 18:31, Rendelius wrote:
Gothic was released in Germany in Spring last year. They did a lot of fixes that were in the english version from the beginning. Gothic was rather bug free for a complex game, but certainly not perfect.

PB released a bugfix for Radeon owners this month, and I doubt any more fixes will appear. There are no show-stoppers in the game, as far as I know, and what they will improve will be in Gothic 2

I have never seen the Enlish fixes. Can you refer me to a site? I am running XP and I cannot run the game for more than an hour without it crashing unless I turn EAX off and switching off a few other things
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:21 am
Torracat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

On 2002-01-21 20:44, Joey Nipps wrote:
I am going to stand on my soapbox a moment - so please bear with me. Relatively bug free for a complex game?????? Baloney - I have played many a game just as complex and FAR more bug free. But that is not the soap box. We, of the gaming community, are allowing gaming companies to get away with poorer and poorer debugged games. Being complex is NO excuse for quality control and a quality debugging program. Year after year games are being produced more and more sloppily - shall we also let airline manufacturers and manufacturers of cars use the same excuse? Gamers need to start speaking out and demanding bug free games - from the start or it will just keep getting worse.

You might want to watch what you ask for, you may get it. Then we will NEVER see the release of our favorite games.
I just want to see really good follow-up. to some degree, many bugs are unavoidable untill the release. then the games' true colors come out. I just want to see them take care of business after the game comes out
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:25 am
Torracat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

On 2002-01-21 21:38, Anonymous wrote:

Gothic wasn't perfect but I also wouldn't use the words "Gothic" and "poor" in the same sentence. Gothic was hands down the funnest RPG released in 2001. All the people who voted Wizradry 8 and Arcanum best RPG obviously didn't play Gothic.

...Here, Here...
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:26 am
Dweller
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Admitted, Gothic has some bugs. Actually it has alot of them, but only a few of them are remotely annoying, and none that I encountered made me ever want to quit playing.
The worst bug I ever ran into was when I was battleing the Minecrawler queen. Almost every time I loaded the game, her head was stuck in the roof. However, I never had to cheat to kill her.
Other than that, it was mostly the magical disapearing/reapearing rock that I can remember. Sure there are alot of minor bugs in the game, but when it doesn't ruin the whole gameing experience I don't really see the big problem. Especially when we're talking of a great game like Gothic.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:28 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2002-01-24 01:21, Torracat wrote:

I have never seen the Enlish fixes. Can you refer me to a site? I am running XP and I cannot run the game for more than an hour without it crashing unless I turn EAX off and switching off a few other things

You are on the site!
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:47 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2