I think I screwed up in the Sand Caves
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
sensei
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think I screwed up in the Sand Caves

So, I searched all the skeleton bodies and fought the ghosts that appeared, but I didn't pick up the spiked boots because they looked so useless. I now realize that I need them to get down the slick rockface where the chest is, but when I click on the skeletons, the only message I get is "nothing happens." Any ideas how I can get the boots so I can place the plank? I've been trying to throw the damned plank across the hole as I slide towards it, but I don't think it's possible without the boots.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:24 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

First at all the "plank" can only be used to cross the chasm before entering Martin's room.
As for the the chest by the hole with the slippery ground, you only got 2 choices without the spiked boots! Either to ignore the chest, as it don't contain anything important or "very nice to have" things! Or you can try to click directly on the chest while sliding down the ice, it can however be quite diffcult, as you must be quite close to the chest, and at the same time hit the small sensitive click area for the chest at the right moment!
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:35 pm
sensei
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Right

OK, my mistake. Anyway, I was able to throw the plank down across the chasm, but without the boots, I can't climb up the other side (either side actually). Is there any way around this? My last save before this stuff is too far back to contemplate redoing.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:41 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't recall the exact situation, so I don't remember. But I have one idea. You can use return to portal to get out of the tight spot, if you've already set it. Even if far away, it'll be quicker to retrace your steps than replay the game.
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:55 am
sensei
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ummmmm....what?

I'm not in any danger, so I don't need to use a return to partal spell. I need to know if there's any way to get the boots or to get up the slippery slope without the boots. My last save previous to this is before I did the Rapax rift and castle. I don't feel like going through all that again.
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:49 am
sensei
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

editor

I was hoping to avoid doing it, but I guess I'll try a character editor and insert the boots into my inventory.

The moral of the story, save early, safe often. One of these days I'll learn that. Mentally, I'm still stuck in the pre-hard drive days I guess.
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:58 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I thought the problem was that you went down the slope & couldn't get back up without the boots. That's why I said to portal out. You'd be back on top whenever you made it back to the area.
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:32 pm
otter
One of Us

Can't you fall off the plank and walk back around from below?
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:11 pm
sensei
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

the plank isn't the problem.

AS the previous poster suggested, being stuck on the plank itself isn't really the problem as I can easily drop down to the tunnel below. The problen is, that without the spiked boots, I can't get to the room where Marten's ghost is to get the Destinae Dominus, so I can't finish the game. I can't get the spiked boots anymore. That's the crux of the problem.

The problem has been solved however. I used a character editor and inserted the boots into my inventory, so everything's OK.
Post Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:01 am