Usergroups
All sorts of questions about Gothic 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Thanks . Well... I avoided to take people with me (always prefer to work alone) so I don't know.
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:27 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

Is it possible to complete the game by joining the thieves guild?
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:39 pm
Iemander
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey Jaz,

Hope you don't mind me taking the opportunity.

If you compare Gothic 2 with Gothic 1, are there alot of differences? And how about the linearity, do you still have as little choice in how the story developes? I've got the impression from the replies that Gothic 2 has gotten even more linear then Gothic 1. I was hoping the sequel would have as much extra features as (To what I call a very similar game in many aspects) Deus Ex 2 to DX 1. Or is Gothic 2 just Gothic 1 in an overall different, nicer and wider package?

And how big is the island? Twice as big? I heard it was about 4 times larger. But there's a difference between what you're hearing and what's actually there right .

How's the interface? Is it just as clumsy as Gothic 1? I didn't really have a really problem with the interface in Gothic 1, but it would be nice if it was mouse driven or something.

How's the story? I was rather dissapointed hearing the, you've got a memory loss so you're back on lvl 1 excuse. I was hoping something more like the BG saga... Anyhow, is the story any good?

How're the differences between the three fractions? I liked the "bald shaolin-esque temple" types, the though mercenaries and the very nicely ordered soldiers. Are they just as diverse? And do the camps themselves make a big part of the story like in the 1 with alot of key characters playing in all fractions, several important locations that are "locked", and some secrets within.

Did you overall enjoy the game? More so then Gothic 1?

Thanks if you decide to answer , I hope I didn't make it to though.
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:32 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
If you compare Gothic 2 with Gothic 1, are there alot of differences?

Skill leveling works differently, inventory works differently, fighting is easier, enemies are smarter, the world is more detailed, but all in all, the Gothic II atmosphere is similar to that of Gothic.
quote:
And how about the linearity, do you still have as little choice in how the story developes? I've got the impression from the replies that Gothic 2 has gotten even more linear then Gothic 1.

The main story will remain the same no matter which choices you make, but side quests may differ. It's not more linear than Gothic, though.
quote:
I was hoping the sequel would have as much extra features as (To what I call a very similar game in many aspects) Deus Ex 2 to DX 1.

I haven't played DX2 (it's not out yet) so I wouldn't know .
quote:
And how big is the island? Twice as big? I heard it was about 4 times larger. But there's a difference between what you're hearing and what's actually there right .

It's more than twice as big, but not 4 times as big. Most of the old Gothic landscape is featured in Gothic II; besides, mountains etc. keep you from going straight paths pretty often so you have the feeling the world's much bigger than it actually is.
quote:
How's the interface? Is it just as clumsy as Gothic 1? I didn't really have a really problem with the interface in Gothic 1, but it would be nice if it was mouse driven or something.
The interface has been vastly improved, yet it's still recognizable (and customizable). By the way, you could use the mouse in Gothic I, too.
quote:
How's the story? I was rather dissapointed hearing the, you've got a memory loss so you're back on lvl 1 excuse. I was hoping something more like the BG saga... Anyhow, is the story any good?
The story is decent but nothing outrageously new. The memory loss is the result of your being resurrected, but they handled it quite nicely in-game, making it easy for new players to adapt to the setting. Meaning, you needn't have played Gothic to be able to grasp the plot of Gothic II - if you meet people your character already met in Gothic, you can answer according to whether you - the player - actually know these folks or not.
quote:
How're the differences between the three fractions? Are they just as diverse?
Yes.
quote:
And do the camps themselves make a big part of the story like in the 1 with alot of key characters playing in all fractions, several important locations that are "locked", and some secrets within.
Yes.
quote:
Did you overall enjoy the game? More so then Gothic 1?
Yes. No. Gothic II is the better game for sure, but it's nothing new anymore so I got about the same level of satisfaction from both games.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:23 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Jaz,

Thank you for the concise, non-spoiler observations.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:48 pm
deathcloud
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Jaz,
I basicly interpreted reading a forum that at the begining of the game you get to pick between 3 types of players(a mage)(a paladen)(and a dragon slayer) i didnt think that this sounded right and i was wondering if you could ster me on the right path. To me i would think that it would be just like the first game and you start from a normal person the character from gothic I and then evolve into one of these characters.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:21 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Itīs like in Gothic 1.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:30 pm
RastaBlasta420
Village Leader
Village Leader

I heard there was a secret bandits guild below the paladin city. Any truth to this?
Post Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:24 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Make that a thieves guild and you're set.
Post Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:50 am
TheSleeper8119
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I have a few questions:
1. Are the camps in the old world still inhabited by people?
2. I know theres like 400 NPC's in Gothic 2 but that doesn't seem like that much. I'd like to know how many NPC's were in Gothic 1 to compare because Gothic 1 seemed to have a good amount of NPC's too.
Post Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:43 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

We have a cheat guide. Practice your counting skill.
Post Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:38 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Dear Jaz,

There is actually no other reason to be addressing this to you but to be pulling your leg

@Sleeper The number was about 200. I'm not sure wheather it's all the npc-s, or just the named ones..
Post Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:17 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5