Age of Wonders
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Age of Wonders

I'm looking for some opinions on the Age of Wonders series. I'm considering picking up Shadow Magic when it's released shortly to fill the void before Lionheart and TToEE. From what I can glean it's in the same vein as the Warlords series? Which would certainly be no bad thing
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:39 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Age of Wonders is a great turn based strategy game, like Warlords. The first one was very hero-centric... it gets to the point where you're building troops for city defense, but using your main hero/champion (who can increase in level and pick up new powers) to take out entire cities.

The second one downplays that aspect somewhat... heros are no longer the god units they were.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:21 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Pretty similar to Warlords, but MORE simliar to the Heroes of Might and Magic games, ESPECIALLY numbah 4. In AoW 1 you have many different teams/races and such, but no real differance in build-orders and unit-strengths. There are also a bit too few units in each team (6 or something, I think).
Battles are pretty nicely made, with many small but cool features, like sight and such. Age of Wonders 2 has some more units and a bit bigger diversity between teams, and is not a bad TBS.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:08 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

It is a very nice game. Liked it much more than Heroes IV so far. In my mind this one is the best turn-based strategy of the year (well, maybe it even was somewhere ). And with the latest expansion - Shadow Magic it should become even better.

A must play. Absolutely.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:48 pm
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The Age of Wonders series is the best turn based strategy series since Master of Magic, IMO. I think I preferred the original AoW though, because it had more of an RPG feel, and it let you retain the same spells and heroes throughout the whole campaign, rather than forcing you to start from scratch every few missions. I'll be interested to find out if Shadow Magic fixes this problem.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:53 am
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be picking this one up
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:16 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ya its the best game of its sort.

Better than heroes of might and magic or warlords or the two other off brand ones that came out recently.

edit disciples 2 and empire of magic./edit
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:58 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

The shadow magic thing is a basically just AOW2 on steroids, and I have no problem with that as it is an excellent TBS game*.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:52 pm
RuySan
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

AoW2 is fantastic. AoW1 is crap...for two really annoying reasons:
-the heroes get exp points per turn. You can have fights every turn, or guarding your capital and you get the same exp points
-City walls can only be overtaken with Battery Rams...and battery rams are really slow unists, so travelling in the map with them is a pain in the ass. In AoW2 any unit can break walls, but the units with the Wall Crushing ability (like battering rams) do double damage.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:09 pm