Will Morrowind be worth it?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Will Morrowind be worth it?

I just want a general idea of how well MW might run on my computer.

Windows 2000 Server w/all service packs
1ghz Pentium 4
128MB PC133 RAM
36MB NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 400 w/latest drivers
40GB HD
48x CD-ROM

All I really want to know is how good/bad will my framerates be...will it even be worth trying to play? General things like that. Anyone who awnsers, thanks ahead of time.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:39 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

Well, with Win 2000 256 meg of ram is the min req, so you are under on that. Also, that 36meg (u mean 32?) gf2 is min req. I would say that the playability factor is up to your preference. Some people can play through a game getting 5fps and love it, while others can't stand it if they get less than 20fps. It would run on your system but your fps would be real low in certain parts of the game even at 640x480 with all things turned down/off. (real low as in around 5fps take or give a few fps) This is just my guestimate.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:50 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

As whether Morrowind worth playing or not is depent on your personal gaming style. If you are powergaming type, prefer fighting, linear quests solving, & that's all that you wants - yeah Morrowind let you does all that but pretty quick you would feel bored since you will becoming too powerfull. If you also likes something else such as slowly exploring, checking anything attract your attention in wilderness, reading story/Morrowind's background stories, try to find out every misc. quests from time to time, willing to spend hours just to organizing everything you have collected (armors, weapons, rare books, to even thing like laterns/candles) & many other things, then you will feel more enjoyable playing Morrowind & definitely fitting your gaming style.

Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:26 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Re: Will Morrowind be worth it?

quote:
Originally posted by Kado
I just want a general idea of how well MW might run on my computer.

Windows 2000 Server w/all service packs
1ghz Pentium 4
128MB PC133 RAM
36MB NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 400 w/latest drivers
40GB HD
48x CD-ROM

All I really want to know is how good/bad will my framerates be...will it even be worth trying to play? General things like that. Anyone who awnsers, thanks ahead of time.

Our computers are pretty equal, and yes, you will be able to run Morrowind smooth, IF you get 128 mb of memory, its not that expensive.

And it would work even better if you got a Geforce 3 or Geforce 4, but remember, the Geforce 4MX is CRAP!
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:57 pm
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

get a better graphic card. pixel shaders do good job in morrowind
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:29 pm
jaycrockett
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You definitely need more memory.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:55 pm
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks people, I'll get 128MB more memory...maybe even 256MB if my wallet is fat enough. I'd get a new graphics card...but I'll wait and see. If MW looks pretty good I'll save for a bit and get a 64MB geforce4
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:19 pm
banditodevida
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Nah, RAM these days isn't very expensive. It really depends what you're buying. I got a single 256mb of PC2100 RAM stick for $64 last year. The price has probably dropped a bit since then. If you live in the US, go to TCWO.com, they have really good deals on hardware.
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:11 pm
Spawnster
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

yr pc should be able to run the game quite reasonabaly well. i'm running MW on the below :-

P3 933Mhz, 320mb SDRAM, 32mb GF2MX (o/c a bit), WinXP 29.42, plus most of the tweaks lying around and also the patch.

fps - 8-20 in towns, 15-30 outside, 40-60 in buildings and dungeons.

adding more memory is a great idea but if u're gonna get a video card upgrade, pls make sure u don't get the GF4MX.....get the GF4Ti4200 at least. or maybe wait for ATI9000 to be released soon.
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:24 am
Poor_Seyda_Neen_Bum
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

ram

i gto 256 sdram for $38 i found it for cheper in the ads in PC gamer, u can order loads of hardware from tis ad in PC gamer and i'd reccomend it to anyone since it comes quickly in the mail and its outrageously cheap
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:39 pm