Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Would you prefer to be a warrior or a mage?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
the COOH
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Personally, I think the best way to play is to combine the strengths of both, to overcome the weaknesses of the other.

Mage:
Strengths: Long range attacks, able to deal out considerable damage, ability to give out damage to a large area.

Weaknesses: Fighting multiply enemies at close rang nearly impossible, Must have a good assortment of spells since some spells won't work in every situation. Slow loading time of spells can lead you to the grave!

Warrior (No bows or crossbows, those people are called archers ):
Strengths: Able to death out quick attacks, ability to engage multiple enemies, able to incapacitate your enemy without having to kill.

Weaknesses: No long range attack possible, damage limited to one enemy at a time. Because you are forced to attack at close range, retreat is sometimes not an option!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:15 am
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
quote:
Originally posted by Baalcipher
quote:
Originally posted by nitrolife
mage, it's harder

Warrior, because mage IS HARDER!!

you bring a bad name to warriors. you shouldn't play the fighter just cuz it's easy, which it isn't always is. you should do it for the thrill of battle with a bloodstained broadsword/axe/hammer. you should do it because you're strong enough to forge your own destiny, without relying on magic to help you through. now warrior/mages can be ok, if you do em right. (like the paladin of d2)

(Conversation behind the scenes)

TheLonePaladin: You bring a bad name to warriors Ciphe!

Baalcipher:

TheLonePaladin: (in an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice) Personally I think playing video games on maximum difficulty makes you a macho macho man! You weenie!

*Lone Paladin switches on his holy stereo, piping in Village People's hit song Macho Man*

TheLonePaladin: Forge your own destiny! Take it to the nTH!! and-

Baalcipher: (Referring to Emeril the chef) Kick it up a notch?

TheLonePaladin: Bam! Thats Right!

*TheLonePaladin's telephone rings*

TheLonePaladin: *answering the phone* Heeellllo?

Baalcipher: NEERRRRD!!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:38 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

screw you, cipher.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:18 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

You can be warrior mage and archer. By the time you reach level 99 you have enough skill ponits to max everthing. So its just a question of what you want to be at the start.

quote:
now warrior/mages can be ok, if you do em right. (like the paladin of d2)

The Paladin in D2 sucks. No where near as good as the barbarian at fighting and no where near as good as the sorceress at spells.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Thu May 09, 2002 7:22 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by HeWhoHasNoName
The Paladin in D2 sucks. No where near as good as the barbarian at fighting and no where near as good as the sorceress at spells.

well duh. a jack-of-all-trades always sucks. since you can't master in either, how are you supposed to be good with it?

i just thought the way the paladin was designed was good. with the options to lean either way with the defensive/offensive magics and combat skills. zeal all the way! had lvl 25 zeal on one pally. until they released that stupid update, it was like...24 hits per click (thats the way it works right?)
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 10:59 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

When i was a mage and the enemies came closer I just punched them in the face and they ran screaming as far away from me as posible.

Noo.....j/k. When I punched them they couldīnt stand up for the rest of their life.

I donīt intend on starting a flamewar so act like you didīnt see the post.

His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu May 09, 2002 11:13 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
screw you, cipher.

Chin up Paladin!

I swing my blade like an Iron Chef!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:03 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

i reiterrate:

screw you cipher.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:31 am
Black Omega
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, I first become a warrior from the NC, but then after the 2h and the mine thing I become a mage which I can use the runes to defeat Xardas' fire and ice golems.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:46 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I always prefer to be a mage.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:15 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

quote:
well duh. a jack-of-all-trades always sucks. since you can't master in either, how are you supposed to be good with it?

i just thought the way the paladin was designed was good. with the options to lean either way with the defensive/offensive magics and combat skills. zeal all the way! had lvl 25 zeal on one pally. until they released that stupid update, it was like...24 hits per click (thats the way it works right?)

Yeah zeal got changed but it wasn't neccessraly a bad thing. It might of limited you to five hits but that just meant you had to click more. It also added a atack rating bonus. Having 26 hits (It would have be 26 on level 25) was not good all the time either. Once you start hitting you can can't stop to retreat.

The Paladin isn't much of a spellcaster. The only spell which is like the soceress is fist of heavens. The auras really on improve his fighting abilities and defences. And even with the auras his no where near as good as the barbarian at fighting. So pretty much he is just a weak fighter with one weak attacking spell.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Fri May 10, 2002 9:53 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

see above for my defense of that. ^^^^^^^^^
Post Fri May 10, 2002 11:15 pm
Marshall Medan
Capitan of the Dark Knights of Nekara
Capitan of the Dark Knights of Nekara

being a knight and all i say warrior
Post Fri May 10, 2002 11:30 pm
ilovepywoood

I'm all for playing a character that sacrifices power early in the game for rewards later, but it seems like in most games the mage just stays weak (relatively). Does the mage class in Gothic break this mold and actually end up more powerful than the warrior? If the mage just catches up to the warrior than it seems like a poor trade off, weak early but just as strong in the end (not so compelling).

I realize there are other reasons to playing a mage, like challenge and role playing aspects I was just curious how the mage stacks up against the warrior at the end. Or at least I think that was the point of this post.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 1:27 am

DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Well you get a powerfull rune in the end if you as mage.

But you get a powerful sword if you play as a warrior.

I suddest you play the game as warrior and mage.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sun May 12, 2002 2:02 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next