Is the color of OW sky changable?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Is the color of OW sky changable?

If the sky color is a spoiler dont read on, doesnt seem like a big deal but you never know

Is there anyway to change the color of the sky from the dull gray to the beautiful blue of the NW?
I see some sky color settings in the gothic.ini thou I havent had much luck, can anyone help?

Thanks
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:43 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@Acleacius,

I am not going into detail, but yes you can change the sky colour, there are several ways to do it, there is a patch that can change to beautiful full blue colour, also you can change it to your own colour, also you can change the size of the sun and the moon as well as the densities, (the amount of glare)
there is also a methode of having no glare.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:31 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

just play a little bit with the textures around and u get your sky if u dont like it
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:24 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

@Wulf
"there is a patch"

I have seen the patch for Gothic on, http://en.tagmt.devmode.de/downloads.htm , and use it thou I have never seen one for Gothic 2. Could you give me a link or point me in the direction please?

@Daedalus
"play a little bit with the textures"

Do you mean with the editor, I dont speak German.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Acleacius,

You will have to use the blue texture from the mentioned patch but to do so you will nead Goman, i use it all the time and i can't speak any German, just have a go at playing with it, there is an old thread on the forums somewhere that explains roughly what to do,- -er - - ? - - try "can you create your own armour for Gothic" by Killerofevils II, (Gothic - General)
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:18 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

BTW, sry if this is a bit off topic, but since we are already talkin bout goman, why doesnt goman open gothic 2 .vdf files, it works fine for G1, but it gives somekind of error when opening G2 files. My goman version is 0.92a, i think.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:41 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

For Gothic II,

You will have to download Vdfs,exe by Nico Bendlin, use the tool to unpack the volumes reuired, then select the files you want, then export them *as* (the type you like best - - jpg is is good) then do whatever you want with the files (mess about with them a bit) then the tricky bit is to use the "builder" section of the Vdfs.exe tool to re-pack (build) a new volume, but beware, it will require a new name and it will think its a *mod* volume, you must end up with all the correct *.tex* files which when "built" will end in .vdf (volume)

Can you follow that ?
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:20 am
Byblos
Village Leader
Village Leader

so by doing what you said i could edit textures?
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:45 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yes Byblos,

If you start off slowly at first you can gain more knowledge as you try other things.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:08 am
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

I managed to change the sky's color but I didn't like it so I putted the old color[/i]
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:25 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Is there an easy way to use the Bluesky texture for Gothic into Gothic 2?
I can get the actual bluesky.vdf in the data directory, like the nude patch but the bluesky doesnt effect the OW in Gothic 2.

I dont have much experience with German or Editors

If someone knows how has it working could you link it, please
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:55 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Another method of altering the colours (but not the texture) is to edit the "red/green/blue" colour values in the Gothic.ini file. you have to decrease one value at a time to alter the colours.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:34 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Ok I tested the OW sky colors with the NW colors in the .ini.
I think it might have worked at late night and before 5 in the morning I can see blueskies, about 5 I can see what I think is a layer of clouds and by 8 it seems to be a full cloud layer.
I dont know much about textures and the editor, but is it possible they just add a layer/texture of clouds over the bluesky?
If so, could I get the editor and just remove the layer/texture of clouds during the daytime?

Which file would the skytextures be located in?
Once I decompress the correct .vdf file will the file names be in German?

Thanks for any help
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:45 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k Acleacius,

Stangely all words will be in English origin with an occasional slight German "tint".

There is still the blue sky tweek in the .ini file specifically for making the enhanced blue effect but i havn't tried it.

You will find all the texture files in textures/vdf. Using Goman is very simple,
it is almost self explanatory. Somewhere on these forums is a thread "can you create your own hero in gothic" or similar, it has a brief on using Goman, also the thread by Patrax "new old knights armour"? will give you a brief run-through on the vdfs.exe tool.

Rebuilding the vdf volume can take patience and time.

Good luck.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:12 am
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

I think you shuldn't touch that things.Something happened at my gothic2 and I had to reinstall it again and loose all saves.
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:09 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next