Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Made a videoboard upgrade and Gothic freezes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread

Look guys I need help! And I need it fast . Here`s the problem : I`ve recently made an upgrade to my videoboard and bought a GeForce2 MX 400 w 64MB RAM. I`ve installed Gothic, wanting to finish it once more (fourth time to be more exact) and enjoy the full graphics and textures my dear old Voodoo was unable to offer ) and still nothing. Installed & reinstalled the game, even performed a clean OS install 2 days ago, still no results. Hacked into the .ini file, disabled intro videos, game starts OK now, but still freezes. Disable the fog in the ini, the music, sound, sky effects, you name it, I did it all. Still Gothic freezes . . . Now I`m outta ideeas and have no clue of what am I supposed to do (except try and try and try to run the game and hope it doesn`t freeze:)). SO . . . heeeeeeeelp !!!
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:58 pm

Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Well, if you don't want to hear it I won't say it - but with only 128 meg I am surprised you can get it to run at all. The card "might" be a bad one - but you would do better with a 3TI. I would suggest taking the card back (if you can) and get another one as a first try - sometimes cards are bad out of the box.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:10 pm

Joey Nipps>

Thanks man , but really, don`t be amazed, it works even on 128 RAM, though has some glitches but apart this is perfectly playable. As for the card I doubt it`s a hardware problem. Other games work like a charm so . . . no, I don`t think so. More of a driver or just a software incompatibility problem with Gothic (due to the many ugly bugs this game unfortunately has:() it`s what I have in mind. As for the GF3 , yep, I`d wish, but . . . no money no funny . Anyway, thanks for trying to help me!
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 9:41 pm

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:06 am

Yeah! Im having the same problem, I had one of the original geforce cards, and it ran fine. Then i went out and got a geforce 2 TI for another game, and now when i try to run gothic, it crashes at the end of the "Piranha" intro. This must have something to do with the geforce 2. I just want to know how to fix the damn thing.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:05 am

Wruf
City Guard
City Guard

Check out this forum:

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=4629&forum=13&10

You will find all the answers you need there. Sorry Nipps, it's not down to the videocard at all. I can run Gothic with 240% view distance, full textures and model detail and perfectly smooth (not a stutter in sight, except after loads) on my aged TNT32 M64Pro, with 32MB of RAM. As a matter of fact, unlike the code, the graphics in Gothic aren't that RAM hungry. In fact, I find the whole game to be surprisingly optimized.

Nope, it's down to good old misconfigurations. It's just a matter of finding out how your card works, then finding out what Gothic likes and then making it so. This same basic rule seems to apply to almost every Geforce 3 / 4 related problem. Cancer seems to have gotten a grip on it so try what he said. It should help.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:05 pm