Damn Ylsids...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Kyairan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Damn Ylsids...

Ok, someone give me some tips on killing these extremely difficult mobs.
The last one I just killed cost me 12 health potions!!! and I know theres a lot more of them, i'm guessing more than I have potions for.

Thanks...
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:08 pm
the chapster
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Get a couple of fireball spells ready . The trick is to take them on one at a time . Fire one off when he's far away , then he'll run straight at you and you can fire off the other one . Two usually kills them . Then withdraw , prep a couple more fireballs and go after the next one . I hated seeing them at first , but after a bit of practice taking them out is relatively easy .
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:52 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Number of fireballs fgreatly varies since min didn't seem to do any damage at all .

I started my game over personally because I simply wasn't powerful enough for them (just to get all two (or three?) in the temple cost me all the potions I had amassed and made myself.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:09 am
Achromatic Luminary
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Fire ball + head shot = dead

I've found that a good head shot will increase the damage of a fire ball. I was having a hard time killing the 3 goblin lords as soon as I went through the gate the first time. Then I aimed high by mistake and blew one of their heads off on the first shot. I don't know if it is the head shot or just a critical hit, but it does seem to work better.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:59 am
Future Engineer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Incineration worked pretty good...

If you want to get really technical (and at the same time a bit show-offy):
invisibilate (or is that invisibilize? ) yourself, incinerate, drink your mana potions, incinerate, drink your mana potions, cast life-drain and hack away. Did the job for me, lost no health there.

I do believe though that there just might be easier ways...
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:22 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Re: Incineration worked pretty good...

quote:
Originally posted by Future Engineer
I do believe though that there just might be easier ways...

An easier way would be avoiding them till the very end of game. Then return as terminator.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:21 am
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I always cast a force barrier in a tight corridor and then let them run of some steam

Once their speed is gone they are no match for you.

Allthough when I suggested this earlier someone said that they recast speed once it wore off, but they never did that for me.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:58 pm
Kris
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree with the chapster and Achromatic Luminary, fireballs are a very good answer.

I was also struggling badly against the Ylsides, and spent a great deal of time (and all my health potions) in the Temple - eventually killing two by a long slow process of freezing them, slashing away, then running away and reloading and repairing.

I have only 48 in casting and a heavy suit of armour that is further reducing its effectiveness, so I thought that magic was probably a washout against them.

But when I got back to Arx and found heaps of Ylsides I tried out the fireball approach. Wow - what a difference!

What seemed to work best for me was running straight at them and loosing off two fireballs in quick succesion directly in the face. Boom - no head! Sneaking up behind was also very satisfying if they were positioned right.

Sometimes it took all 3, (and in one case only it took 2 or 3 tries) but I had a "ball" running round Arx killing every one of them and earning several thousand XP points in the process, and thousands of gold for selling the swords too.

Thanks VERY much for the fireball tip guys.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:24 pm
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

killing Ylsaids

I've found fireballs to be easiest and fastest to kill them...one or two when they're right on top of you and they dissappear...can you up your magic level by wearing 2 casting rings...?or removing your heavy armour...I'm almost thru the game now and have never worn anything but thieves clothing...I've also found firing poisened arrows effective from a distance ... they were easy to pick off...good luck...the Harm spell... aam...vitae...worked for me at lower levels of casting skill...against the demon in the Temple of Akbaa and on the Shany quest...rings of defense and offence if you get close enough to touch an enemy with it...and no mana drain...you can fight thru it and shoot fireballs from the hotslots...I have not tried it against Ylsaids...

THE TAROT
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:58 am
baraknul
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hats off to you guys...

I haven't managed to kill a single one of these suckers! I was in real
trouble back in Arx when they were all over the place. I used up all my mana potions on invisibility and speed! I couldn't kill one, even with
multi-fireballs. Ended up sneaking past all of them to get to the priosn cell.

Oh, and BTW, I still haven't killed the d*mn dragon to get her egg!
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:09 pm
sunshine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

There are two steps to cast a fireball.

First you must summon a fireball into your hand.

Then you throw the fireball at the enemy.

The key is to hit the enemy with the fireball Before it it thrown, it is much more powerfull when it is still in your hand at point blank range.
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:40 pm