Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The Hero, from Gothic I to Gothic II (rambling)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

Only Beliar could be angry. Why would Innos be angry if you killed a servant of Black. Or Adanos who had no deal with him. Water.

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:13 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

They could've made everyone/everything else stronger. It's all relative.

Like suddenly all the Orcs have inexplicably become incredibly powerful, and only one man can stop them...
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:36 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The hero looks the same, smells the same, feels the same, talks the same, in fact, is the same... it's nice for getting you back into 'Gothic mode' instantly.

My only gripe is that he's a guy. Yeah, I know, he was a guy in part one so he has to be one in part two, but... I'd like to date Lord Andre because he's so nice (at least so far - I'm in chapter two), and I doubt he'll fall for a bearded guy with a ponytail .
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:24 pm
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

i'm glad they kept the same character, it keeps that gothic feel to it. I already know the character and thus its the same story, its not some random character i don't know.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:11 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I too was a little dissapointed that the old character just gets resurrected and the explanation seemed a little forced to me. My main critique with Gothic centers on the lack of options for the character anyway - admittedly the guy is just a template and can develop in very different directions - but to have just one possible avatar is very limiting for a RPG. It would have been nice to at least have a few different-looking choices as in Diablo or better complete customizability as in MW. I suppose its the price we pay for the full audio dialogue.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:24 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

GBG, that's exactly it -- the "perfect" game would marry the high level of individualization that Gothic has with the size, scope and breadth of options in Morrowind, but at least using current approaches the development time would be Gothic multiplied by Morrowind. Say about 9-12 years for content alone, never mind engine modifications...
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:09 pm
oE|Crusader
Village Leader
Village Leader

i was hoping that the rocks had degraded the ore armour into stuff for 10 against sword 10 against arrow, and urizel into a 10 attack sword
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:33 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel
Some of my most memorable moments in games come from the spots where Im stuck and have to change my way of thinking or pause or replay a scenario out 4/5 different ways in order to continue...whatever. To me, starting from scratch is the MOST fun part of the game.

Now your talking my language.. Since I have nothing to add, just read the quote once again
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:51 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Here's something that started bothering me when I looked at our resurrected hero again: Shouldn't he be a lot hairier? He was under the rubble for what, a month without a shave or a haircut?
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:21 pm
SwitchBlade
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What about fingernails & toenails
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:50 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Magic can do miracles
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:05 pm
Krak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
is a mage why would being stuck in rumble make you forget how to use magic?????

Well, as you can see from the gothic 2 intro movie, the main character is NOT a mage as he is wielding uriziel. looks like the devs decided the main character should go as the way of the warrior in the story.

Plus it would be kinda hard for him to cast spells if he can't move his arms because hes being crushed by a rock and hes dead.

About the part where the character should be more harry:

Well, how can he grow hair if hes dead? all activity in the body stops after death, thats if he was ressurected and not teleported. i don't speak german but the intro looks like a resurection to me.

Just my thoughts.
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:22 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I've read that hair and fingernails still grow for a while after death, but perhaps that's a myth. Still, I think the devs missed an opportunity for a "barber" quest series in Chap. 1! Or it might have been fun convincing the farmer's wife to give you a makeover... Korzen's right, though: it was probably Xardas and his 6th circle rune of "shave and a haircut" that are responsible

The hero wields Uriziel (and wears the Ore Armor) in the ending cinematic from G1 too, regardless of what your character wore (mine preferred the Necromancer's Robe for its magic resistance). I gather that this time around there are different versions of the end movie, fortunately.

I think the explanation for forgetting the spells would be the same as the explanation for forgetting how to skin a wolf: amnesia. No fantasy hero is complete without it. Anyway, I'd agree with the view that RPGs are more fun when the main character starts out helpless -- those early moments, when every item found is a big improvement over what you had and every little beastie is a challenge, are the best in the game for me.
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:50 am
Krak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sigh..... i'll miss my ore armor
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:52 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

The devs could have used the hair as the single customization feature.
When Xardas resurrected our boy, he wasn't decomposed yet. So maybe he wasn't dead. Just in a coma.
The Ore Armor prevented the rock from crushing him, so he could very well be alive. Anyone know?

If our charactor started with long hair, you could go to the barbar shop to get the hair style of your choice. Even if it's only 2 choices, it would be enough to customize our favorite hero. (Long hair or Short hair? No ponytail?)
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:12 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next