MMORPGDot Feature: Muun visits the Australian Game Developer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

MMORPGDot Feature: Muun visits the Australian Game Developer

The Australian Game Developers Conference was recently held in Melbourne and our intrepid reporter Muun attended to hear keynote speeches from the likes of Rob Pardo from Blizzard and Ian Livingstone, co-founder of Games Workshop and White Dwarf magazine, now at Eidos. Here's a snip on Rob Pardo:<blockquote><em>Needless to say, this was a room-filler. Rob gave an interesting talk on how to create AAA games. What struck me most about his talk was his emphasis on re-thinking the importance of innovation. He stressed that although innovation is important, what really sells is execution. Putting your spin on an existing tried and tested idea can be more rewarding (sales wise) than wrecking your brains on doing something different if the game you produce is polished enough and delivered to market in its best possible incarnation. Another area that Pardo stressed was pacing: games need to hook players in at an early stage and make sure that the excitement and rewards keep rolling in on a regular basis. Here I couldn't help but ask Rob how he felt about World of Warcraft's pacing at the end game and he readily answered: "The pacing after level 60 sucks".</em></blockquote>Read on <a href="http://www.mmorpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1190" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:13 am
Ionyssa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Polish or Innovation?

Some great information there Muun, I would loved to have gone myself!

I think there is definitely a need for both companies that like to produce really polished titles (obviously Blizzard has been wildly successful at this) and companies that produce innovative titles (less well publicized or rewarded unfortunately).

I especially liked the end game comment from Rob, most of us figured that out after the first couple of months and cancelled our subscriptions. I don't see how they can fix end game pacing in WoW without a NGE style redevelopment (which I am not advocating). The game simply wasn't developed to have anything end game other than what it currently has.

Possible end game pacing in other titles are along the lines of being able to make your own mark on the world, change the direction of the story arc, etc. Since WoW has none of these things and places itself firmly in the camp of 'not' being able to change the world, I think they need to lie in the bed they have made.

Though considering how successful WoW has been and continues to be, I don't really have a problem with what they have done. In all cases the bottom line reflects the success of the idea.

Ionyssa de'Winter
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:45 am