A few questions....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

A few questions....

I went to one of the mages so that I wouldn't risk losing the soul gem. When I try to enchant things, nothing shows up in the effects list. It keeps telling me to select at least one effect from the effects list. I've got the gem with the soul trapped inside, everything else is fine. I just can't figure out what I need to do to make effects to choose from.

I went to the Dren plantation and noticed that no one seems to like me. At first I assumed it was just my race. After I looked around a bit I discovered several slaves. Then I thought to myself, this plantation should be purged, and the slaves should be freed. Is this what is supposed to happen? All the slaves say they need keys to be freed. I assume I need to kill the guards in order to get the keys, right? One slave on the wall asks you to lead him to a farm somewhere. Whenever I agree to let him follow me to the farm the guards come and kill him, then try to kill me. I am strong enough to kill the guards, but am I supposed to? If I am supposed to kill the guards who attack me for agreeing to lead the slave to the farm, am I supposed to kill all the other guards in the plantation too? There is so really nice armer in one of the buildings. I forgot the name of it, I think it was the transfer building. Anyway, if I am supposed to kill the other guards, can I kill the guard guarding the armer too? I noticed that when I kill one of them there is no bounty on my head...

Is sneaking an ability I should invest gold into training? I want to be able to just sneak right in front of someone and take stuff right next to them. Is that possible? Or is sneaking a waste of gold to train in? For example, there are some awesome gems in the mages guild of Balmora. With a good enough sneaking ability, can I walk right up to the desk and take the gems without the mage catching me??

I'd like to hear some opinions on what skills to invest gold for training in.
Post Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:50 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The effects are chosen from a list on the left side of the screen. The list comes from the spells your character has learned, and only those effects. So, if you've never purchased a fireball spell for your character, you will not be able to enchant an item with the fireball power.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:59 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I tried buying several spells and having them on my character when trying to enchant. There still are no effects to choose from in the effects list. Do I have to cast them all first? I've cast a few of them, summon skeleton warrior is one of the spells I have used in the past. Shouldn't that be listed? I still have two spells on me. Only certain spell types maybe?

Anyone got any responses regarding the other questions?
Post Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:51 am
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Did you try a walktrhough or manual?
Post Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:50 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

What do you *want* to do?

There's no fixed thing for you to do at the Dren plantation. Remember, this game is *totally open ended* - you choose what you want to do. Kill the guards, free the slaves? Kill the guards *and* the slaves - maybe noone deserves to live? Like to be a thief? Ransack the houses while avoiding the guards. Maybe leave the slaves there - it's their own fault they were captured in the first place isn't it? Your actions are entirely up to you.

Yeah, Sneak is a useful skill. Do you want to learn it, or is your character just not a stealthy sort? Again, the answer is entirely up to you. Be warned that you'll need to get Sneak up to quite a high level to be able to steal things from under people's noses.

Other useful skills? Marksman is good, if you like bows and arrows. Athletics and Acrobatics are useful too. Speechcraft can help out, if you find yourself having to deal with people without the aid of a Longsword...
Post Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:23 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

If I don't kill anyone in the Dren plantation, are there quests I can do there later on? I realize whether I kill them or not is up to me... but will I miss out on anything either way?

I still haven't figured out how to enchant items...

TheMighty - If your going to suggest a walkthrough, then perhaps a link would help? Only thing I hate about walk throughs, is you usually have to spend about 2 hours to find the answer to one small question in a game as large as this. My connection speed is 26.4K, so it takes a long time to surf through several pages. This forum is far more convenient.
Post Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:40 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Trying to enchant things is starting to drive me nuts! I can't figure out why there are still no effects being listed in the effects list. I literally spent over 3K gold I've saved up from the beginning on spells from different vendors. I have am nearly over weight with spells on me. There are still no effects being listed!!

I noticed when I drop a gem on me that has a soul trapped in it, it gives me the option of recharging or attempting to enchant. I already told you what the problem is with enchanting, no effects. When I select the "Recharge" option, there is nothing in the list either, so all I can do is click "cancel." I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. Please tell me how to enchant!!!
Post Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:10 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

After you select "enchant an item", you are picking an item to enchant (ring, clothes, weapon, whatever)? When the enchant screen first comes up, since you have no item selected, the max enchant level is 0, which means exactly 0 effects are eligible to be used.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:00 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I figured it out. I didn't realize that there was a difference between a spell "scroll" and a "spell." I hadn't bought any spells, I just bought a bunch of spell scrolls thinking they were the same thing. I just needed to buy "spells." Its all solved now, thanks.

P.S. Is there a way to increase the amount of enchantment on an item? Does it depend on the item or the quality of the gem or soul?
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:44 am