View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Horatio
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

NOTR Translation Mod and German Gold Edition

Hi,

I've browsed through many 10+ page plus threads on the NOTR translation mod but i'm still confused about some things. So here's my question: which of the following would occur if I were to install the NOTR translation mod over top of the German Gold edition?

1) All NOTR dialog would have ENGLISH subtitles, the original G2 dialog would still have GERMAN subtitles. Item descriptions, menus and such would be a mix of ENGLISH and GERMAN depending on whether they came from NOTR or G2. (bad)

2) All dialog would have ENGLISH subtitles and all other game text would be in ENGLISH. (good)

3) Other (?)

I also understand that the FMV cutscenes cannot but subtitled. oh well.

Essentially I'm extremely interested in purchasing the game and the NOTR expansion, but I've heard the english voice acting is mediocre and would prefer the entire game to have the original german voice acting with subtitles. just like I prefer watching foreign movies with subtitles rather than some mediocre englsih dubbing. I would be willing to purchase the English edition of G2 as well if it is necessary to accomplish this goal.

Anyway thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers,

h
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:44 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

First of all, I'd say the English voice acting is average. Most of it is OK, a few bad, and some good.

But to answer your question:

>2) All dialog would have ENGLISH subtitles and all other game text would be in >ENGLISH. (good)

This is correct.

Voices: ALL German
Subtitles + supplementary text - All English
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:41 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Re: NOTR Translation Mod and German Gold Edition

quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
1) All NOTR dialog would have ENGLISH subtitles, the original G2 dialog would still have GERMAN subtitles. Item descriptions, menus and such would be a mix of ENGLISH and GERMAN depending on whether they came from NOTR or G2. (bad)

2) All dialog would have ENGLISH subtitles and all other game text would be in ENGLISH. (good)

3) Other (?)

I also understand that the FMV cutscenes cannot but subtitled. oh well.

Well, lucky for you I just bought the German Gold edition.

1+2+3) One answer will answer them all I think.
Every dialog will have English subtitles, including the ones from G2 and the new ones from NotR.
All items will have English names, all plants, spells, enemies etc. Even things that weren't translated in the english Gothic 2 version (some things in your journal and certain spells) will have the correct English names. So you won't have to search for Dunkelpilz in the forest, but like it used to be Dark Mushrooms.
The ingame and other menus will be in English, so you don't need to chose speichern but save to save your game. All bookstands and other readable things will also be translated.

To summarise: Every german line, sentence and word is translated into English, except for the german in the movies.
But for the beginning movie when you start a new game, they made a different a new kind of dialog option after the movie. Xardas will tell the same as he told in the movie and this time with subtitles. So the first movie is also translated in the best way as possible. Addind subtitles to the movies couldn't be done.

In a few weeks, hopefully not more than two, a new version of the translation mod will come out, with every spelling and gramatical error and mistake corrected.
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:56 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums!

Maybe you should wait a few weeks before youn order a gold edition. A new product with all 3 Gothic games will come out in February. Gothic is almost impossible to get outside the German market now.
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:29 pm
Horatio
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the welcome and the helpful responses. Although the english voice acting may indeed be better than i am led to believe, i'm now totally fixated on the idea of playing in german with subtitles. i think it will add a nice exotic vibe.

cheers,

h
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:28 pm