FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Maximum view distance is dissapointing.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Maximum view distance is dissapointing.

Is there a way to increase the maximum view distance even more? I'm very dissapointed by the view in this game. Even with the slider set all the way to the right it still isn't a very far view. I know increasing the view is the last thing on most peoples minds right now considering how everyone is worried about performance but it would be nice if the option existed. I got used to the view in Gothic which seems a lot farther than MW when maxed out. Those of you who have played Gothic and tried out the
300% view distance know what I'm talking about.

Gothic spoiled me.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:20 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

No. As I said before, this is what it is, this is what it will be. And really, it looks good enough as it is, MUCH better as Gothic. But you may have your own opinion ofcourse.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:43 am

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
No. As I said before, this is what it is, this is what it will be. And really, it looks good enough as it is, MUCH better as Gothic. But you may have your own opinion ofcourse.

I'm talking about distance here, not quality. Obviously you've never maxed out the distance in Gothic. You could see much further in Gothic than you can in MW. Don't reply if you don't know what you're talking about.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:52 am

Didn't mean to sound like I was flaming you in that last post but if you play Gothic and then play MW right afterwards you'll see what I mean.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:55 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hmm...
If we will talk about view distance, if you set it to 300% (this was max) in Gothic, you removed fog at all.
From what I saw on ESM screenshots with max distance, this fog is still there. Possibly they could give this option, though nearly noone would be able to use it.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 6:30 am

Maybe we can mess with the ini file and find a way to reduce the fog.
It would be nice for 1 or 2 years from now when we have better hardware that can run MW faster.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 7:00 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Guest, sorry if I wasnt clear, but what I said is right. Max is max. And even while you cannot see as far as Gothic, it still looks good. I know perfectly well what I am talking about, dont worry.

Sorry if I was unclear initially.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 2:43 pm

I guess my main complaint is the amount of fog that is still visible during the daytime cycles of the game. It just doesn't look realistic. Why would there be that much fog at 1:00 in the afternoon?
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:19 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

You are right, but I dont even WANT to know how it would run without fog...
Post Tue May 14, 2002 7:09 pm

Well since you're in morrowind close to a giant volcano, and in a land where giant dust storms rage across the land on a daily basis, it only makes sense that there might be some stuff in the air. Not necissarily fog.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 7:17 pm

Sand

It's possible they balanced the game with the fog in mind (for example, being able to see things from too far off).

Even so, it would be nice to be able to extend the viewing distance to obscene levels for screenshots or in the future when everyone's GeForce26 can pump out Morrowind at 200fps. I would love to find a nice vantage point, up the viewing distance to infinite, and take a screenshot...who cares if the display dropped to 2 seconds per frame.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 7:45 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hehe, they must make sure they can improve the game. Who will buy TES4 if its all perfect
Post Tue May 14, 2002 7:50 pm
Volitare

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
Well since you're in morrowind close to a giant volcano, and in a land where giant dust storms rage across the land on a daily basis, it only makes sense that there might be some stuff in the air. Not necissarily fog.

You know what.

I like this response.

I agree that there is too much fog but I considered it might have been more to to with Functionality then Artistry. I'd imagine as BethSoft Patches this game through the year and hardware gets better and better fog might be able to be reduced somewhat.

So if this is truly, "for our own good" at the time being, we can just pretend that there is something in the air due to volcanic activity and visibility is limited.

That's roleplaying for yah.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 9:44 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Just one thought: I think it is behind the fog that cell loading takes place. If you push the fog further out, you'll see empty space.

BTW: Morrowind has to handle 10 times more polygons than Gothic had.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 9:48 pm
Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

"BTW: Morrowind has to handle 10 times more polygons than Gothic had."

What's more, Morrowind is not Gothic.

Why do people always compare games? They aren't intended to be the same, they offer very different experiences, so why not enjoy them both for what they are?

Sure, you can see further in Gothic. So tell me, when is the first Gothic plug-in going to be available?

See? A different game, accept it. Take the strengths of both games and enjoy...
Post Tue May 14, 2002 11:41 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next