Speed & Agility - useless
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Speed & Agility - useless

My lvl 70 Assassin has done some tests concerning speed & agility. Here are the findings.

Speed @ 200 or speed @ 50 - no difference at dodging/evading/speed of attack/switch of weapon/casting/running speed.

Agility @ 200 or agility @ 50 - the same.

So what good are these attributes?
Post Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:52 pm
Uruz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I noticed the actual Speed attribute has less of an effect on running speed as your Athletics skill, but speed still does matter. If it was like you said, the Boots of Blinding Speed wouldn't make you run faster at all. Speed does make a difference but it is not very noticable as you progress. Agility is supposed to affect your hit rate and dodge rate. I think this has little to do with you actually moving, just the enemies ability to hit you.

Also, you cannot train above a governing attribute. So if you have a ton of money to train Athletics, but your Speed is 30, you can't train above that. You can still level up that skill through use though.
Post Sun Jun 09, 2002 10:06 pm
grunt

no

For me speed is the most important stat. It just speeds up the game soo much plus you can out run the stupid cliff racers.
Post Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:46 pm

Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

ya, i love agility and speed. speed is great...can run when it trouble, and you get places faster, and it is also a governing skill for a few things, like HtH, unarmored (good if beast race ecspecially) and athletics (already said). the more agile you are, the more often you hit and dont get hit in combat. agility is also governing attribute for light armor, short sword, marksman, sneak...some pretty important things. hey i got a question i just thought of.....HAS ANYBODY USED LUCK AS A PRIMARY ATTRIBUTE TO GET THE BONUS AT START??? I think that if anybody calls anything a useless skill, this is the closest thing to it - but ive always had a luck of 40 so i dont know if there is any noticable difference in "everything you do" as the game says.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:52 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Every character I ever created (except the first that was not custom) had luck as one of the primary attributes. So I guess I'm not qualified to differentiate how much effect luck has either.

LSD, pardon my saying so, but your tests are completely bogus. First, your setup is wrong. And secondly, you showed no data to support your conclusions.

If you really wanna test this, I suggest you switch your character between 1 and 100 points in attributes. And when you do tests, make sure you do them with same skillset. With same type of monster. At least 15 times each. Write down all the numbers. To be more correct, do it 40-50 times. There are also some stat collecting facilities available in the game. You may wanna look into that and see if you can use it to do your tests.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:50 pm
Lawnmower
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ac tually, luck...

Luck can get you better loot, and such, at least in variable, non-placed chests. Most of my characters have had Luck as a primary attribute after I began noticing the differences in loot and hits, and of course stealing.

Don't do drugs. Pick one and stick with it.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:04 am
Rob
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

speed and agility are definately not useless... try being a theif without em.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:19 am
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

MoonDragon:

1)
I tested this by having a char with enchanted gear that gave 150 to a stat when equipped.

2)
I tested it with several monsters, switching to 50 or 200 stat

3)
All the time i had the same skills

4)
I see no point in writing down my findings in this case, if i see my char run as fast with SPD of 50 as with SPD of 200.
As an example.

Just a pointer to those that mentioned that you can't TRAIN a skill above its governing attribute - you can still practice it & get it higher - just not TRAIN it.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:07 am
Uruz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by LORD_LSD

Just a pointer to those that mentioned that you can't TRAIN a skill above its governing attribute - you can still practice it & get it higher - just not TRAIN it.

That is what I said

quote:
Originally posted by Uruz
Also, you cannot train above a governing attribute. So if you have a ton of money to train Athletics, but your Speed is 30, you can't train above that. You can still level up that skill through use though.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:36 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

But good sir, how then are the Boots of Blinding Speed so effective for travelling? They give an extra 200 to SPD.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:37 am