Changing Character Classes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
C@rnage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Changing Character Classes

I want to change one of my characters to another class....how do I do this? Do I have to wait till character levels up and then I can change it..any help would be appreciated..
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:02 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Yes, changing class can only be done at level-up. From the first character screen, select "profession" and change away.

Keep in mind that changing class in Wiz8 doesn't usually work out well. You'll want to be VERY careful and think it through...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:10 am
otter
One of Us

Yah, i've tested a lot of various multiclassers, and in 'full' parties few are really successful--the easiest to pull of is a Bard-to-Fighter; they can play all the instruments they qualify for based on their Bard levels, and wear/wield the killer stuff.
The smaller the party, the easier it gets, because you level faster. In fact, for 3 and under, they're a lot of fun, and even kinda necessary.
If you post the specifics of your planned change, i'll tell you what i had happen, if i made anything similar.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:47 am
Gandalf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I hope no one minds an interloper here, but I'd like to seize on this thread to ask a question I've been wondering about. If one changes classes, are any of the previous class abilities still usable as the new class?

For example, say I change from Rogue to Mage. Bad choice, I know, but just for argument's sake. Would my character still have the Stealth ability? If so, I'm pretty sure it would stay at whatever level it was originally.

If some will still carry over, does anyone know which ones will or a set of guidelines that determine this? I'd appreciate any input.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:52 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yes, you would still retain the ability. You just wouldn't be able to advance in that ability anymore.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:35 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Yes, you would still retain the ability. You just wouldn't be able to advance in that ability anymore.
Unless that particular ability was good for both classes. So, for a rogue becoming a ninja, you would still be able to use and increase your stealth stat.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:01 am
otter
One of Us

Yah, that's why i said you can play instruments even if you've changed from Bard to Fighter. Any Skill, that has a blue progress bar, can be used by any class. But if you can't add to it on leveling, it won't increase any more in the class you leveled up in. Skills that don't have an increase graphic are unique to the class that has them. (eg Rangers' Auto-Search won't work if you change class, but the Scouting skill will contribute to the Party's Search range and Mob-noticing ability.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:31 am
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

One thing I like to do is start the game with a couple of Valkyries, then immediately change them to fighters the moment they level up. That way I get the "berserk" mode and the spear that came along with her. By the time I find the vicious Mystic Spear and Dread Spear, I'll already be highly skilled with the polearm.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:37 pm
Zombra
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Quick Question

I love, love, love the Ranger's 'always search' ability. I restarted the game recently with an all new party in which I didn't reuse a single class that I'd used before, so I have no Ranger this time. But, I decided that I miss that ability too much, so I changed my level 8 Ninja to Ranger and am planning to change her back to Ninja at level 9, just so I can have a few points of Scouting and not worry about going into Search mode.

What do y'all think of this plan?

Z
Post Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:24 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

It seems to be good plan. You will lose several points for your "Ninja abilities" and therefor your Ninja will be A LITTLE BIT weaker. But I hope you play your party because you like it and you have fun with it and because you want it to be as strong as possible :].

And Rangers scouting ability is really useful (and rewarding - if we will talk about money :]).
Post Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:27 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

If you switch back to ninja from ranger, you will lose the "auto-search" special power that allows you to constantly, automatically search. You will still have the search skill, although it will not improve. This means you'll still have to use the search button at the bottom of the screen, and you won't be terribly good at it, ever.
Post Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:03 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Holy hell, dteowner! You used to be a one-eyed wiz. Now you turned into a muppet of some sort! What happen?
Post Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:17 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Just a change of pace. I'm still the same know-it-all bastard I've always been...
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:19 am
Zombra
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Aww ...

Ah, crap. Thanks for pointing this out. I will double check, but you sound like you know what you're talking about. Luckily I cleverly saved my game just before switching to Ranger.

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
If you switch back to ninja from ranger, you will lose the "auto-search" special power that allows you to constantly, automatically search. You will still have the search skill, although it will not improve. This means you'll still have to use the search button at the bottom of the screen, and you won't be terribly good at it, ever.
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:19 am