EverQuest 2: Early Impressions @ PC.IGN
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

EverQuest 2: Early Impressions @ PC.IGN

PC.IGN has tossed up some <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/565/565959p1.html" target="_blank">early impressions</a> of the retail version of 'EverQuest II':<blockquote><em>After installing the game (the CD version comes on a whopping nine CDs), I logged in and created my first character. The range of races is great and there's bound to be at least a couple that speak to your temperament. The range of visual customizations is quite broad and I was easily able to create a gnome that bore a striking resemblance to Terrence Stamp. You can see this for yourself in the screenshots. </em></blockquote>
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:58 pm
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I pre-ordered it and then got into the beta for the last 3 weeks before release.I cancelled the pre-order. Sony flat out lied about a few things.At the last minute they decided not to have a European based English speaking server.The solo content after the 20th lvl is not what was promised.If you don't group in this mmorpg you will miss out on all the good loot and best dungeons.Seeing as I would have to play on a U.S. server,grouping would be more difficult due to the time difference and I like to solo most of the time.The first 10 lvls you are just like everyone else in your class and for the next 10 there isen't much difference.A big dissapointment in my view and from reading the forums,I am not alone.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:09 pm

I am level 6 in both WoW beta (undead warlock) and EQ2 live (mage) and my first impression is that WoW is the better game. The problem with EQ2 as far as I can see is that it already feels like a grind and that's not good at level 6.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:46 pm

methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I refuse to play the WOW beta as I don't want to spoil anything for myself.When I get into that I want everything to be new and fresh.I also wanted to play a Undead Warlock.If you think its a grind now, wait until you've made your decision at 10th lvl and you pretty much have to spend most of your time either in the Common Lands or Antonica.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:02 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I agree now! EQ2 is a grind, and i think WoW is a far far better game. So much do i believe this that i have cancelled EQ2 subscription and quit playing. My main reason is that it just doesnt feel very fun. WoW is FUN, and EQ2 is NOT fun. Sorry earlier for being a hardass in its defense, i wanted EQ2 to be a good game after waiting for it for so damn long, but to me EQ2 reminds me far too much of SWG (which i hated) mixed with old EQ (which i hated). World of Warcraft is my game, and EQ2 is put on my shelf for good. Its just a level grind, with no PvP, no real reason to play it, im sorry, it just isnt fun anymore. In fact i dare say that EQ2 is DAMN BORING.

Thank goodness there is World of Warcraft, else i would be on the long waiting list again. Im sure Darkfall and Trials of Ascension will be fine games by virtue of the PvP, but i am disconcerted that EQ2 turned out to be such a boring game, even though the graphics are amazing, still, the game makes me yawn for real, and i find myself thinking that it seems more like WORK than it seems like play.

EQ2 is very cumbersome and not very intelligently designed, imo. They shouldnt have kept half of the things in there that they tried to preserve from EQ, like for instance, the inventory bags. I mean, what a pain in the ass! You mean i have to click on a bag, to get to a bunch of other bags, to get to my stuff, and i dont remember what is where, and its just a pain in the ass.

2. EQ2 is stupidly designed worldscape-wise. Antonica is the most boring grassland ever created. Gnolls, snakes, and wolves. Hurray. Same goes for the Bog area. Frogs, mucklings, and slugs. Hurray. And all i ever do is kill them. For no reason. Just KILL THEM because they EXIST TO DIE.

Gosh, this is EQ all over again. Except with snazzier graphics. EWWWW.

My game is World of Warcraft, that game is PERFECT. Its fun, its entertaining, it has PvP, it has everything ive ever wanted in an MMORPG -- almost. Well maybe not, but WoW certainly makes you forget about what it doesnt have. I cant praise WOW enough, its just an AWESOME GAME !!! and ive been playing it nonstop since closed beta. Blizzard did everything right in the design as far as i can see, except perhaps for item decay, which sucks, face it. But its there for a good reason -- the economy. Well whatever good excuse but i dont care, everything else is fantastic. I will probably be playing WOW for years to come...

HOWEVER, goodbye Everquest2. I cant wait for WoW release day, i am going to be soooooo freakin happy.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:35 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Also,

soloing should be FIRST PRIORITY in a game,

and grouping as last priority,

not the other way around,

youve got it backwards SOE.

Thats why World of Warcraft

is gonna kick your arse !!!

You are gonna drool at

the subscriber-base of the mighty

WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

(woohoo!)

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:42 am
Test
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I really think it should be equally balanced for solo'ers and groups, with a slight bias towards group (else no one would do it). AC1 is the perfect example of a solo mmorpg. There was nothing you couldn't do solo, but at times grouping would help. Same with SWG, which is a another solo MMORPG.

In my opinion, you burn out of solo MMORPG's very fast.. they tend to get shallow and dull rather quickly.

No one likes to be forced to group though, so again, achieving some sort of balance (which I think WoW does pretty good..) is important.

EQ2? Has no pvp, so I didn't even consider it. Level grinds don't bother me, but no pvp does.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:45 pm
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

I find that the worst part about forced grouping games is that it really sucks when you can't get a group. If you aren't playing the most in-demand type of character, it can be a miserable experience.

I loved AC1.
Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:34 am