Usergroups
THIS GAME IS NICE BUT HAS SOME SERIOUS ISSUES :(
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
bolopunq
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

morrowind is not wichhaven, hexxen or heretic guys, i play mw on duron 700, 256 ram, GF2MX in 800X600 with view distance 3 notches up from lowest and i am pretty much satisfied since interiors run smoothly and outside quite choppy most of the time, but framerate is not the biggest concern in this game. it's a fuckin epic RPG, i rarely get low fps when fighting even outdoors so it bugs me not, and what, u want 90 fps for walking? dzizes. maybe u'd like MW to be build on quake3 engine?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:42 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto

The major problem, IMHO, is not that the engine is crappy, but it requires a 100% clean (defragged, updated and patched) pc to function. Most people just dont know how to run that, and who can blame them?

While its true that most people do not know jack about computers, and most don't even know how to defrag their own hard drives, you cannot assume that this is the reason why so many people do not receive frame rates that would allow for smoother play. While the scope of this game is far greater than all others I've seen, the fact that it can run so slowly, even on top end computers, leaves the choice of rendering engines suspect. Just because a Publisher demands a certain deadline doesn't all of sudden mean that the NetInfitiny engine is the supreme choice and no others existed.

Personally, with a game like MW, I care more about content than I do about smoothness of play, but higher frame rates would help increase the immersiveness of the experience.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 8:49 pm
Mamovaka

total CRACKHEAD COMMENT

I just reinstall my pc from scratch and tested morrowind
my 3dmark is 9400

xp1900
512ddr
geforce 4 ti4600

I play morrowind at 1024 32 bit full AA at 1/2 view distance and no shadows with AI 1/4 and STILL can notice fps hits.

The engine is unoptomized, no LOD that I can see in place, DUMB
Post Thu May 09, 2002 9:00 pm

Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Getting poor fps?

People.... many many many many people with the same system setups (and some with lower specs) as those who are experiencing low fps can play this game completely smoothly.

On a 1.3ghz Duron with 400mb ram and a crappy little Geforce 2MX400 my fps doesn't drop below 20 (settings are between 1/2 and 3/4, pretty reasonable).

There are loads of people responding to these threads, which seem to crop up every other minute. If you're having fps problems with a 1700mhz+ geforce 4 system. It's your configuration, nothing else. Driver issues are the most common cause.

Somnus
Post Thu May 09, 2002 9:13 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re: Getting poor fps?

quote:
Originally posted by Somnus
People.... many many many many people with the same system setups (and some with lower specs) as those who are experiencing low fps can play this game completely smoothly.

On a 1.3ghz Duron with 400mb ram and a crappy little Geforce 2MX400 my fps doesn't drop below 20 (settings are between 1/2 and 3/4, pretty reasonable).

There are loads of people responding to these threads, which seem to crop up every other minute. If you're having fps problems with a 1700mhz+ geforce 4 system. It's your configuration, nothing else. Driver issues are the most common cause.

Somnus

Somnus, as other people have pointed out, perceived game performance is a subjective matter. Just because Joe Schmoe thinks that 20 fps is "completely smooth" doesn't mean that anyone else will think the same thing. You can't dismiss all the complaints you hear just because your system runs the game at an acceptable performance level for YOU. You yourself have admitted that your system drops down toward 20 fps. 20 fps is far from smooth in my mind. And, as you have noticed, these complainers are "cropping up every other minute." With has frequent as these complaints are, I think it is quit warrented to question whether performance of the game could not be improved with a patch.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 9:33 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Re: Getting poor fps?

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperion

Somnus, as other people have pointed out, perceived game performance is a subjective matter. Just because Joe Schmoe thinks that 20 fps is "completely smooth" doesn't mean that anyone else will think the same thing. You can't dismiss all the complaints you hear just because your system runs the game at an acceptable performance level for YOU. You yourself have admitted that your system drops down toward 20 fps. 20 fps is far from smooth in my mind. And, as you have noticed, these complainers are "cropping up every other minute." With has frequent as these complaints are, I think it is quit warrented to question whether performance of the game could not be improved with a patch.

Nope. I think 20 fps is actually quite good for an rpg like MW. Yes, others might not like 20 fps, but thats hardly Bethy's fault. You just CANT demand awesome graphics and lots of background work AND 60 fps. We all want that, but it is just IMPOSSIBLE.

So either turn down detail or live with 20 fps. Simple as that.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 9:39 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The last time someone said something was impossible, it happened. Very little is impossible. What you described is perfectly possible, it's just a question of at what cost. It's also perfectly acceptable to demand it as well. Just because you like a great many of us (and probably most of us) enjoyand appreciate this game, doesn't mean that this guy and whoever else doesn't have the right to demand that their wants be fulfilled. They paid for the game just like you (at least, I hope they did).
Post Thu May 09, 2002 9:57 pm
beefcake122
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sorry guys, but no matter what you say 20fps totally sucks! and you know it!

Im much higher then that and it still sucks!

Scott
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:17 am
DrHiroshima

quote:
Originally posted by Fozz
Make a post on "serious issues" and all you can come up
Seems that the only bugs anybody can come up with in this supposed "bug ridden" game is that they can't max out everything and run at 90fps like they can in "every other game they own".

Umm, what is Bethesda expecting us to play on ? NASA workstations ? I mean if they worked hard on all the eye candy, it must because they want *someone* to see it aye ? Why is it choppy on my girlfriend's comp eh ? It's a freaking AMD XP, a 2Ghz with a Geforce 3 for God's sake !

Nobody wrote on the retail box: "Must use experimental hardware for full experience", we still use the next to state-of-the-art gear, and yet, it seems to not suffice.

Of course fanboys will always find good and well intentionned excuses and arguments, to defend the "Dev's", and argue that it was a *design* decision.

Keep the good work fanboys.

I need my daily laugh.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 2:54 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

DrHiroshima: Dude, think please. Max detail is an OPTION, not a MUST. So you would be pleased if medium would be max, and max would be scrapped?

Yeah, fanboy. Good argument, very mature. If you cant run it on max then lower the settings. Not that hard eh?
Post Fri May 10, 2002 1:20 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3