What are the odds ???????
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

What are the odds my pc will run this game? AMD 500, Voodoo 3 AGP, 332 RAM

Also how is the gameplay? realtime, turnbased or what? And is this game very large?
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:12 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

real time
large (for single player)
great graphics
fun as all hell
good AI
free form character creation

As for that system...
*technically* you should be able to run it...
might wanna get the latest drivers (if you can still find 3DfX) and get DirectX8.1 and hope for the best
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:16 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

You should be able to run it, at the expense of some graphic detail. (With your specs I'd shoot for 800x600 with some details turned down, or maybe even 640x480)
It's all real-time and a VERY large game. You're looking at between fifty and sixty hours of play the first time through, with lots of dialogue and exploring to do.

[ This Message was edited by: wesmjohn on 2002-01-16 11:22 ]
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:18 pm
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Well I have been playing wizardry 8 but it's getting kinda boring. Good game but Turn based RPGs get to me after a wile and this game looks kinda cool. Should I go for it with my specs? I don't think there are any new drivers for voodoo cards sense like a year or so ago. So it's large enough to keep me busy until Morrowind comes out......cool.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:23 pm
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

If you or someone you know has broadband,there's a demo you can DL and try for safetys sake.(weighs in at 270 megs,so...)
3dfx drivers...I read that there are some about that makes it possible to use with XP,so there are still some being made.(may be hacked together by some fan)
I haven't had one for 1-2 years,so unfortunately I can't give you a link to any...
Your specs...my problem with the game was the swapping of the HDD and you do have a decent amount of RAM,so I'd think you can run it...but,best would be to try the demo.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:47 pm
glennluv
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am running Gothic at 1024x768 with a Duron 750, 256mb of ram, and a geforce 2 mx400 with 32mb or ram. The game runs pretty good with a little slowdown at times. My FPS cant be more than 20. If you run at a fairly low res, and lower some of the details it should run okay. Good luck.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:48 pm
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Hey thanks guys, and if anyone knows where I can get the new drivers for a voodoo3 agp video card please let me know. Thanks again.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:51 pm
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

OK I'm running win98 so what one of these do I need to download?

Omega or Iceman? and what's the diff?

Any help would be great. Thanks

link http://www.voodoofiles.com/type.asp?cat_id=1

[ This Message was edited by: BSC14 on 2002-01-16 12:27 ]
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:27 pm
Rayder
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have a friend that runs this game on an AMD K6-2 500 with Voodoo 3 and had to back off EVERYTHING to minimum or very close to it for it to run at a decent pace. But he loves it!!!

You CAN find newer drivers for Voodoo cards, but none of them are official. Go to http://www.omegacorner.com for excellent drivers for Voodoo cards as well as Geforce and Radeon. You will also find tips for optimizing your system for performance there.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:50 pm