CRPG - Future Design
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

CRPG - Future Design

Here is what I think is a nicely thought out article on the future of CRP gaming. Adrenalin Vault Article - Leveling Up The CRPG
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:28 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Nice article, but I think that only the graphics and some other less important things will change, I know that I might be wrong , but there were so many games, what could be different without stoping to be an rpg?
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:50 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

I think there would be more games like you are in the future and things like that. I think that the Only change would be what Korzen said, and less games of the medieval era.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:47 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Hmmmmm...

I have read the article and it didnt really inspire me much.

Diablo was an RPG ?? not IMO !

New settings ?....now that would have to be done very well.....I mean, RPG's have typically grown out of the D&D pen & paper games and people liked the fantasy escapism setting, so they could as a natural step, relate to the settings of the fantasy RPG's.

Dont get me wrong, there have been good non-fantasy RPGs'....but not many. Most of the succesful ones have been based around swords & sorcery type settings. The Fallout duo were two classic exceptions to this, but what made them so "good" ?

I have played Deus Ex but I still relate that game to a FPS. But that may just be my narrow minded vision of what an RPG is.

When someone mentions "RPG", my mind conjures up (no pun intended) an instant vision of an Elf Wizard or a Half-Orc Barbarian......not a Stockbroker.

Would an RPG set in modern times actually be what we RPG-ers want ?
I play an RPG for an escape into a different world for a while ....a long while sometimes.

Would a modern day setting RPG fulfil my requirement of escapism or would it become a bit like Grand Theft Auto 3 with a few stats thrown in?

Sci-Fi RPG's may have a better future, because as in a fantasy setting, anything is possible limited only by developers imaginations and of course you, the player.

I dont know all, if any of the answers on the future of RPG's....but I know what I like. Maybe its time to take the blinkers off and look for alternative settings......a Wild West RPG ?....nah...+2 Colt '45....??

Maybe im too old to change and some of you younger guys will hook onto some of the new forecasted RPG's, but me...well....I just love whooping it up with some Gobbos and a +3 Sword of Chaos....

Nuff from me...

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:54 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I would rather see CRPGs concentrate on decent engines and better stories and characters. CRPGs have a tough enough time keeping up with the FPS genre in terms of graphics. But they shouldn't be competing in the first place. The writer has his priorities misplaced.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:32 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Namirrha
I would rather see CRPGs concentrate on decent engines and better stories and characters. CRPGs have a tough enough time keeping up with the FPS genre in terms of graphics. But they shouldn't be competing in the first place. The writer has his priorities misplaced.

How does he have his priorities misplaced? He said the same thing you did. He said too much attention was being placed on graphics. He also said that more work should be placed on NPC actions. So how does he have his priorites misplaced?
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:49 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Personally, I see RPGs dying off as a genre. What they will be replaced with will be cross-genre types of games. It is already happening. Just look at games like DeusEx. One of the most popular RPGs around, yet you can totally play it like an FPS. Diablo style: platformers of the past under the guise of RPGness. Arx Fatalis: an adventure game with character stats.

I think most games are slowly merging towards a super simulation. Eventually, computing power and computing science will progress to the point where we will have generic reality simulators. Those simulators will then be moulded by developers into specific kinds of realities that we will be able to join and exist in, in parallel to our regular worlds. Those will be the ultimate FPS's, RPGs, adventure stories, etc. They will be all at once.

Imagine a world in which you can be another person. But a real person. Wouldn't that be the ultimate RPG? A person that could chose to be a pilot and have to learn all about piloting. Or a person that wants to be a soldier and play an FPS type game. A craftsman that is limited only by their own personal capacity for knowledge. An explorer.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:56 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
Personally, I see RPGs dying off as a genre. What they will be replaced with will be cross-genre types of games.

Well, this is only true IF there EVER was anything that truly defined CRPG as a distinct genre. I am not so convinced it ever was true. I suspect the real truth is that CRPG has always been a cross-genre game. The more proper way of saying all of this is that there really aren't well defined computer game genres - all computer games are mixed. If this is true to a greater (rather than lesser) extent, then there is nothing to die off.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:11 pm