Usergroups
Attention U.S. People - order Gothic 2 from Gameplay.com
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

its true though why not send it out to both places at the same time they would probally end up making more of a profit
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:34 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

For those who may not seen my message about the recordings -this is from PB- the English voice recording were done in UK with American voice actors. There is no difference in the two game versions, except maybe the box cover shot.

Since Atari is rather broke from a series of badly selling games (Master of Orion 3 and Enter the Matrix -they sold but the profit margin was not good, and others...) Atari is probably selling to Europe first since people there KNOW the game NAME better and will sell decently by word of mouth with little advertising.

Then with the profit they make from Euro market; much easier to advertise and distribute around the world in other markets.

One sad note, a release past July and August in USA is going to end up going againts heavy hits such as Half Life 2, Deus Ex 2, Doom 3, etc.

We went through a real dry spell of no good action/rpg games during the spring /early summer and that would have been an opportune time to release the game without competition; but we can all thank 'Joe Would' for sitting on that contract until it fizzled out.

IMHO, just be lucky that is does get released some where and I do hope Atari makes a decent profit to help them sell the game and put them back on thier feet.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:03 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
Since Atari is rather broke from a series of badly selling games (Master of Orion 3 and Enter the Matrix -they sold but the profit margin was not good, and others...)

I wouldn´t connect Atari´s need for money with these two titles. MOO 3 was high in the charts -no.1 I think. So it had a kickstart before it sank quickly. It surely sold less than expected but probably still more than 90% of the released games.
EtM sells like hot cakes, worldwide and on all platforms. Even though I agree that the margin is probably pretty low, was there more to achieve than Atari did? I think the Matrix games are planned as one big project. Part 1 reportedly had an incredibly big budget. Part 2 will be considerably cheaper. The technology is there, the team has routine.

quote:
Atari is probably selling to Europe first since people there KNOW the game NAME better and will sell decently by word of mouth with little advertising.

The exact opposite. Gothic is completely unknown in Europe, except the German market of course. The North American market is far more important. The game sold more than 100k units, despite the lack of marketing (--> only hearsay, but some published numbers make this sound realistic).
I think Atari simply makes a stealth release and waits for the word of mouth to make G2 more popular in Europe.

quote:
One sad note, a release past July and August in USA is going to end up going againts heavy hits such as Half Life 2, Deus Ex 2, Doom 3, etc.

Different genre.

quote:
We went through a real dry spell of no good action/rpg games during the spring /early summer and that would have been an opportune time to release the game without competition; but we can all thank 'Joe Would' for sitting on that contract until it fizzled out.

Yes, it ould have been much better to make some concessions to Atari to pick up the game and release it in February or so. There was no competition.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:39 am
duffman92654
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i have a nother Question if i order it from Europe will it work on my computer?
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:49 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

With the same probability than a US-version.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:54 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I am baffled. You got me there. I guess we will soon see how it plays out. Interesting points...
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:45 am
End of Eternity
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

By accident I saw this thread on the mainpage and felt a little obligated to help you poor people.

You SEE...The game is only 17.99 pounds (about $29.70) incl. shipping worldwide!!!

http://www.playserver5.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=106434

So, I would cancel your orders.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:34 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

...uh, why?
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:40 pm
End of Eternity
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel
...uh, why?

Why should you cancel your order? Because this site is cheaper.

And why should you order in the UK? Because it is faster.

Voila...cheaper and faster.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:06 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

the gameplay site is UK Based as well
and they will ship my order out the 12th
this site is offering the same method of shipping (ie no rush delivery), the 10 dollars difference is not worth the hassle of cancelling the old order, which has already been processed
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:25 pm
End of Eternity
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel
the gameplay site is UK Based as well
and they will ship my order out the 12th
this site is offering the same method of shipping (ie no rush delivery), the 10 dollars difference is not worth the hassle of cancelling the old order, which has already been processed

The difference is more than 10 dollars...It is almost 20 dollars. But anyway...its your call.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:09 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Can you send me the difference?
I can send you my address, cash only please
so like a $20 bill would be very nice
kthx
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:55 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by End of Eternity
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

By accident I saw this thread on the mainpage and felt a little obligated to help you poor people.

You SEE...The game is only 17.99 pounds (about $29.70) incl. shipping worldwide!!!

http://www.playserver5.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=106434

So, I would cancel your orders.

I just hit this site to find out about the offer...The price is right but they do not ship to the US...

http://www.playserver5.com/play247.asp?page=delivery

Sylvio
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:42 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Calm down guys. This link has been posted in the other thread two weeks ago. Everybody who visits the forum frequently knew the shop only ships to Europe.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:06 pm
End of Eternity
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Calm down guys. This link has been posted in the other thread two weeks ago. Everybody who visits the forum frequently knew the shop only ships to Europe.

So, it is old news...

You're right...the site only ships to Europe. Oops...my mistake When they mentioned 'international' I automaticly taught of the US. Sorry.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:17 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next