Gothic with fans in mind.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
MrC
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic with fans in mind.

Imagine how amazing this game could be if it was as mod friendly as Morrowind! How about starting the concept of Gothic 3 with the fans who want to script and mod in mind. Take a leaf out of Bethesda's book
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:22 pm
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

I disagree. I honestly think that inclusion of the user-friendly editors along with games is not such a good idea. Take Morrowind or NWN for example: both feature fully supported editors, but how many quality modules are there? You can count them with the fingers on one hand. Majority of Morrowind modules are yet another house, with no scripting involved, and the majority of NWN modules are junk, on par with both official campaigns, only smaller.

Whether it sounds good or bad, not many people have what it takes to make a game, or even a small module for that matter. I think companies should release unsupported modding tools, the ones they themselves use to make their games. This way, truly dedicated skillful fans would still be able to produce modules, but the rest of the people (who might be fans, but nevertheless lack skills) would get sifted away.

The editors should stay well hidden on developers' web pages, and should be as professional as possible, so that only truly dedicated people, who realize what they're up to, could find and put them to a good use.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:48 pm
TheDarkside
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Morrowind's graphical modding capabilities are awesome, however, it's scripting language is crap. I dunno if they enhanced it's capability since I got bored of the game, but I was really trying to create some unique mods but I was totally hindered by the super dilluted scripting language.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:18 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by NeverDark
I disagree. I honestly think that inclusion of the user-friendly editors along with games is not such a good idea. Take Morrowind or NWN for example: both feature fully supported editors, but how many quality modules are there? You can count them with the fingers on one hand. Majority of Morrowind modules are yet another house, with no scripting involved, and the majority of NWN modules are junk, on par with both official campaigns, only smaller.

That's illogical; it's like saying that only some people should have access to movie cameras because someone might make a bad movie.

I'm all for mod tools. There is some stuff I'd like to fix in Gothic 2.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:46 pm
MrC
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Try some of the total conversions, the scripting in Morrowind may be a hang up for some but its still one of the best looking and most enjoyable RPGs out there. If Gothic was as user friendly, with its gfx and scope it could be the best single player RPG around. And its the fans, in the end, who guide the way games are made. If fans of Gothic hadn't have had their input, Gothic 2 wouldn't be as good as it is.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:53 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

MrC I despised morrowwind its editor was pointless like neverdark said noone could make a half decent module except for people that had some idea of what they were doing (probally about .2% of the people that bought the game) so why bother adding a whole nother disk if almost noone is gonna use it they should just put it on their web site for people that want it bad enough to go get it not to sit on a person's harddrive taking up space and collecting dust if they never cared enough to use it...
So my conclusion is that an editor should be put on the website but not include with the standard game.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:32 am