Members
Usergroups
My view on Morrowind.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Spawnster75

i feel for u

After reading all the post about how MW brings to the knees of nearly all the high-end PC's, i've gotta say that i feel sorry for these owners. if i hv a high end system too, i guess i will feel the same way. i mean after spending so much of yr hard-earned $$$$ to get aGF4Ti4600/4400, 2.2ghz processors, 512 DDRAM, etc. and not being able to play MW smoothly - yeah i will feel quite frustated . what's the problem - i don't know - maybe our expectation is too high or Bethesda probably rushed through the release and didn't fully optimized the codes. anyones guess.

Anyway, my persoanl experience of MW with my mid-range system. (maybe even lower). check out my spec:

P3 933Mhz, 320mb SDRAM, 32mb GF2MX (o'c to 182/192 from default 166/175), 20GB 5400rpm h/d, SBLive!Value. 28.32 drivers. defrag my h/d about 1 month ago. no RAM optimizing. just install and play.

View distance : a little below MAX
AI : 1/4 from MIN
Sound quality : HIGH
Shadow : none
Reso : 1024x768x32bit
Pixel Shader : none of course
AxA : none

Getting average 30-40 in indoors and dungeons, 9-15 outdoors and city. not as smooth but still quite playable. also got the stutering. maybe it's loading a different district. so actually i was quite happy with the performance after reading so much complain on high end systems getting more or less the same fps as mine. so enjoy! it's just a matter of mind over matter if u get my meaning.

I just got my copy of MW on Sunday. Playing from 4pm all the way to 12.30am Great game. haven't even crashed on me yet! initially i was quite worried that my system wouldn't be able to run it smoothly but for me it's okay with my 1 yr old system.

but MW is a great game and it's sad to see some of u contemplating of returning it or throwing it out of the window!!??? just because the game is bringing yr PC's to it's knees. look on the bright side, at least it's playable. life is full of compromise. give and take a little n u may just experience the most groundbreaking game in the RPG industry. just my $0.02.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 5:53 am

MamoVaka

Havok

Thanks for the tip, so basically if I just take away everything that makes this game spectacular I can get 20 fps on my high end pc? Please man let's get real, Sorry but I dont want to have to rape a games wonderful graphics to hell just to play it at a reasonable FPS. they need to work on this with a patch or something.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:12 am

Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Havok

quote:
Originally posted by MamoVaka
Thanks for the tip, so basically if I just take away everything that makes this game spectacular I can get 20 fps on my high end pc? Please man let's get real, Sorry but I dont want to have to rape a games wonderful graphics to hell just to play it at a reasonable FPS. they need to work on this with a patch or something.

Exactly.. suddenly the game looks like Arcanum.. but hey it runs ok..

The frames don't bother, it is the damn stutters.
And the game still stutters.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:21 am
saracen31

I seriously don't get it with some of these nice graphics cards. I am running
Windows XP
Athlon 1.39 GHz
512 MB DDR
GF 2 MX (64 MB)

I've got the view distance set to full, and real-time shadows set to about 25%. Consistent framerates of 20-35 in the wilderness, and mid-teens in cities. Maybe once every 3 or 4 minutes, the system burps for a second, but other than that, no stutter.

I'd be pissed to if I shelled out my hard-earned cash on a new card & was doing worse than a GF2.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:30 am

Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I don't understand why it stutters..
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:51 am
saracen31

Drivers

Have you tried the 28.90 beta drivers? That's what I'm using.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:53 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

The stutters can be caused my SOUND problems. Disable 3d sound.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:59 am
Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

3D sound is disabled, but i will have a look anyway.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 7:12 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

If you set all detail to min at 640x480, does it still stutter? and at 80x600 medium detail? Try to find out where it begins to stutter.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 7:21 am
Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Don't know why I even thought of checking sound. The issue is video related..

I am playing the game at 600x480.. it still stutters.. but when it isn't.. the game is fast.

Remember, the video is stuttering not the audio.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:28 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
Same here. Have you read my tips on improving performance? I would have no problems recommending the game someone with a Gf3 Ti 200 either.

Some thing I really don't understand: have you had a look at the forums? So many people with mid range systems are running this game fine - yet you take your own experience as a fact and write some first impressions that totaly neglect that you are a minority woth what you suffered through. At least a sentence like "others are reported to run the game on smaller systems without the problems I experience" would have been fair...

I second this. And again I mention that I think framerates don't mean jack. Outside in some towns I receieve 10 FPS but guess what..I turn of showFPS and just enjoy the game, I can't even tell the FPS are that slow..in fact theres only a momentary pause when exiting a building while textures load..then things run smoothly..

As for FPS Dropping from 20 to 0..I have NEVER seen such in any game..to my knowledge...

I suggest you have a look at your rig and see if there is something you could fix..perhaps a defrag..a few tweaks..

Anyways just my opinons..Morrowind is utterly amazing and I don't think there are near the amount of problems some people are makin out..

Another very important thing to remember having to do with stuttering. The game is MEANT to pause in certain places when it loads new areas/textures..I don't know how many, if any, people are mistaking those loads for stutters..but please don't confuse the 2..

Last edited by Shifter on Tue May 07, 2002 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:41 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hey Pugnate, what type of rig are you only (particularly the gfx card)

Have you tried running the game at 1280? (If you have an old computer and gfx card this won't do you any good..)
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:43 am
Sincere

Oh god..

I have a P3 800mhz, 128MB of Ram and a 3d Prophet(Kyro 2) 4500 64MB vid card...and I get 11ish in towns, and roughly 15-20 everywhere else..Except indoors where I get around 60-70fps..

Are you fucking serious that you get the same thing as me on your fucking Geforce 4? Something's seriously wrong here..I may hold off on upgrading for a while, since the main reason for upgrading is cause I couldn't get Morrowind to perform any better than it had been.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:37 am

Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

The stutters in my case were mostly gone except for the region loading when I used the hacked exe that removed safedisk. Now at 1280x960 I get 20fps in towns and higher everywhere else. This is on my Althon 1.5 ghz Tbird and an overclocked GF3(240/540). I have shadows off, AI set to half, and distance down 2 clicks( which is still 75% distance viewing or something.) Before using the hacked exe I had stutters all the time in towns and my framerate was in the lower teens.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:05 pm
Joe Smhoe

Yep...demanding game

Ok..i have a slightly overclocked Radeon 32 MB ddr and a 733 mhz system with 640 mgs ram (or thereabouts i believe)...The game runs fine out doors (15-20) fps, indoors i usually see (20-30) and in cities i can see as low as (9-11) fps or sometimes worse.

And this is with everything about as low as it can go (video settings wise)
so im guessing that i need a new video card....maybe a geoforce 4 or 3 instead of radeon...wut u guys think?

oh...and how far can i overclock my radeon (no cooling fan) before it explodes?

HOW LOOOOOOW CAN YOU GO?!!!
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 5:36 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next