Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
You know you've played too many times when...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

You reroll with the express intent on being an XBower. Granted, I wont be killing the final monsters with a non-magic XBow but...
Archery in general makes gothic a brand new game. You know who and what you have to kill but with archery, now you have to know where to PERCH while doing it (trust me, you dont want to tank with a Bow/Xbow).
Archery is very nice, once you get your Dex up...you can shoot faster than they can charge, so Biters, Wolfs, Lurkers are no problem, everytime you shoot, you push them back just enough to get them out of strike range and the ones that do get through, you suffer 1 maybe 2 strikes max. But in mobs, you'll need to perch.
And I will say, Gothic is VERY archer friendly, anywhere you see a mob or high level monsters, not very far away you will find some sort of perch.
Now as for Xbow, one word...RAILGUN.
I took the light Xbow out with me when I was going for the Almanac (mind you, not trained in Xbow yet)...not one goblin survived the 2nd shot. So what took me up to 20 minutes as a meleer (hack/slash...run...heal) took me 5 minutes and 1 heal stop with an XBow.
From the start of the game I was archer and only 2 times in the entire game (so far) have I had to whip out the Sword:
MineCrawlerQueen: 40Str and a Melee Weapon is a MUST to inflict melee damage (Tested).
Or magic, but at your level it will be very pricey (not to mention the resources wont allow it @chapter2) to try and buy enough fire magics to kill it magically.
The Orc Warrior: from the Orc Cemetary. Tried as I might, there is NO perch in the Cemetary that is safe from this guy (he will cimb RIGHT into one of those Mummy Holes with you and whip your ass) and that useless Baal offers NO assistance (what a pleasure to kill him after all that). Now Im about to get the 4 focus stones.
If you've finished the game already and want to try it with a new twist, I'd recommend going archer: I guarantee you wont breeze through the game.
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:48 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hmmm... I killed the MineCrawlerQueen with bolts (or was it arrows back then - my first crossbow was Bullit's, by the way) because I was too much of a coward to come any closer than absolutely necessary.

IT DID WORK. It took me a good 100 or more bolts/ arrows, but IT DID WORK. You only do her damage on a perfect hit, though.

Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:58 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

You'll know that you've played Gothic too long when Mud starts looking down-right beautiful when he wears his pink teddy. And that's before you've had any rice schnapps
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:04 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

The only problem I have so far with the Archer character is there is no way I have found to NOT kill npcs (for the express purpose of taking their items). Is there a way with the bow to simply knock them out that I haven't found?

Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:50 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Hmmm Bullits Xbow worked?
Hmmmm...So I wasnt packing enough umph...
But to get his Xbow in chapter 2...
There'd be no way...especially with the char I created. When I first went to fight it I had like:
10 Str (+5 Horatio) (+5 Str Ring) (+10 Str Ring) = 35 Str
30 points to master Bow
so at level 5 I was pretty weak if it wasnt for the rings I found along the way...
Since then I just *had* to raise my 1h and some str a lil just to survive (Orcs laugh at someone untrained in Xbow trying to use one, trust me).
At first I was just going to kill scar from level 1 and ride the easy train from there (he has the best 1h sword and Xbow). Talk about futile attempt....

hehe as for Mud and his pink teddy...*shiver*
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:53 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, I don't remember when I got Bullit's crossbow, but I guess it was right after I stumbled into the castle for the first time. I didn't want to kill him, but I had no choice. You know, I got fresh on him as was expected... he attacked me... I didn't even manage to get my sword out of its scabbard before he struck me down, and while I was on the floor, he ran me through with his sword.

Okay, I got mad, I reloaded, I went straight up to where he sat at his table withouttalking to him at all, whipped out my bow and arrows and nailed him to his seat. Exitus. Period.

Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:22 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I have nothing more to say

[ This Message was edited by: Max Killen on 2002-01-22 16:07 ]
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 10:06 pm
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

You know you have had too much Gothic when you stop picking flowers and plants. Although there is something about it thats hard to resist.

I destroyed queen with 20 strength and the Orc Hammer(50 damage). It took a lot of whacks. I'm talking up close and personal. You can't miss a beat either.
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 11:08 pm
Sorencera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

.......When you begin to view life as an RPG.

-How many XP will I get for completing that project at work ahead of schedule.

-When I level up again should I put those precious XP into speed, so I can work even faster; or strength so I can challenge the "Boss".

-Also when driving by a thickly wooded area you are suddenly struck with the urge to dismount, don armor and a good two handed weapon and search for packs of wolves!
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 2:01 am
method
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i killed the queen with a bone bow...
its possible, trust me
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:33 am
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Lol, Sorenca. You are right about forests. I too sometime get the urge to go hunting so I can get some power-ups.
I sometimes wish I can insert a Para M-249 into Gothic and go into the woods with it.

Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:03 am