RPGDot Feature: Riftrunner Interview
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

RPGDot Feature: Riftrunner Interview

After the recent announcement of Riftrunner we got Lar from larian Studios to answer a couple of questions. Some questions he could not answer yet, but those he could can be found <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=641">here</a>. In addition the interview has 3 exclusive screenshots as well.
<br>
<br>From it is this snippet:<blockquote><em><strong>RPGDot: Random quests and random maps. How random is this? Is there really a gazillion of quests/maps or is there a limited set of which you get one randomly?
<br>
<br>Lar:</strong> The Battlefield technology is 100% random when it comes to the maps and already pretty random when it comes to the stories it generates. We’re still working on that so I can’t give you a definite answer, but the goal is to have it as random as possible. It really is pretty good - we are actually using the Battlefield generator as a productivity tool to create content.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:15 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Excellent and interesting interview. It sounds like they're addressing just about everything I'd like them to. I particularly like the idea of less but more difficult battles.

I wish there was a little more info on summoning dolls (anyone else think they need a new name? Is 'dolls' a translation from german? It carries a girls-toy connotation in english). Also a bit concerned about using the random battlefields to create content.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:19 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

It would be a bad translation from Dutch. Larian Studios is in the Dutch part of Belgium, not Germany .
Anyway, the summoning "dolls" are summoned creatures that you can dress up (or equip) the way you like. Girls dress up barbie dolls. I guess that's where the name is coming from .
Seems to be a working title though just to describe the feature. I assume they'll come up with a more appropriate term for the actual skill.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:25 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

It's not the dolls you dress up. It's the summoned creatures you dress up using the dolls. In that way you can give them extra armor or a better weapon.
Also I don't think it's skill related. You find one and you can upgrade them if you find/buy the proper upgrades.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:38 am
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
I wish there was a little more info on summoning dolls (anyone else think they need a new name? Is 'dolls' a translation from german? It carries a girls-toy connotation in english).

It carries the same connotation in German and probably Dutch as well. However, in addition to Mo's explanation, another origin might be the commonly known "paper doll", the character sheet several RPGs have, in which you can dress up your avatar.
Think of the dolls as a slightly different form of Voodoo Dolls...

quote:
Also a bit concerned about using the random battlefields to create content.

Same here. I think it could work out if you don't notice so much that it's random. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:17 am
Dhruin

I knew Larian were Belgian but mono-linguistic simpletons like me get confused when a country has three languages.

The dolls are an original idea whatever name they ultimately go by. It will be nice to have a use for that axe you just can't get yourself to sell even though you've already go a better sword.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:27 am
Ragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Arhu

Think of the dolls as a slightly different form of Voodoo Dolls...

And once again a thought shared!

Yep, Vodoo Dolls is probably the best resemblance you can give, in terms of function and appearance.

For the randomization factor in RRR - let´s just hope the best for non-redundancy/non-repetetiveness!

At least what i read about the item system refinement and the return to Rivellon turned my attitude towards the game a bit brighter and answered some burning questions wandering my mind since the initial announcement of the much anticipated follow-up to Divinity.

Ragon
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:55 am