A Game Like Gothic!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

A Game Like Gothic!!

does anyone at all!! know if there is a RPG pc game out there that is as good or better than Gothic??? i would really like to know as i am going nuts waiting on GII!!
Post Sat May 10, 2003 4:41 pm
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

No....I am sorry, but this is impossible. Much like it is a physical impossibility to attain a velocity faster than the speed of light, it is impossible to attain a r.p.g better than gothic 1,2 and most likely 3. In order to stave off the epidemic "waiting pain" experienced by many gothic fans around the world, I would recommend vast amounts of alcohol, (wo)men, work, exercise, and hanging out. With safety in mind it is preferred that one does not partake in all the aforementioned activities all at once as such is known to cause a loss in G.P.A, as well as money. On a more serious note, no I am sorry but I do not know of any RPG games that you could play in the midst of waiting for Gothic 2, for it has been Gothic 2, and not other games that I have locked myself onto during the past 7 or so months. Although, you could buy Enter the Matrix. It will be on store shelves soon, and despite all the commotion over it emulating Max Payne in terms of "bullet time", it should still be a good play. But then if you are like me and don't do anything all day long but play games, (in reality I don't drink and only meet women on occasion) this will only be a fleeting fix and you will most likely experience "waiting pains" once the game is beaten and taking up space. After reading various posts here, I think that it would be acceptable to anticipate hearing something interesting concerning Gothic 2 after E3. (This 15) Aside from that I can offer no hope as to when Gothic 2 will be released; I still have not received a response from my e-mail sent to Atari concerning the release of Gothic 2. With the inability of Gorath or Jaz, let alone any retail company, to attain any such information, I am going to guess that I too will be treated in the same manner. Keep posting, I am the only one at work right now and it is going to stay that way until I lock up this afternoon. There is nothing to do, as you can see by the length of this post, and I am extremely bored. P.S. Gorath what in Gods name is a Morhedral spy. It was a long time ago, but I am still curious.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 5:34 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

classic question

The nearest game is Ultima IX( IMHO, a great game; some will say it isn't ( I think they don't expect such a game in the ultima series )
They share the same type of engine, same type of game design, same type of features. I presume that the game designers of gothic want to create their Ultima IX. They could left the flaws of the pioneer so Gothic is much better.
If you decide to get this one, search for the lastest patch (1.19)

Another really close one is Outcast. Really original engine. It is much aventure-action oriented than gothic ( no stats at all ). But : third person view, quests and sub-quests, a lot of NPC to meet, full voices, good storyline.

I love this kind of games and expect more in the future ( now that the consoles have enough power and 3D co-processor to handle this kind of engine )
Post Sat May 10, 2003 6:15 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

thanks.. i was thinking about buying ultima 9. could you tell me what guilds you can join if any and what is the story line,,without spoilers please , buddy.. thanks
Post Sat May 10, 2003 6:52 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

The storyline is a bit linear, no big surprises but classic, simple and good anyway. Note that the Gothic one is quite simple too !
No guilds; you're on your own but you can choose to use magic more than fights.
I think the most important thing in these games is the learning factor : you learn the laws and stories of the universe in which you are.
You resolve quests and see the result.
Post Sun May 11, 2003 2:07 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

Thanks,, i was also thinking of buying: Asherons call 2, Balders Gate 2, Dark age of Camelot or dragon empires.. have you played any of these games,, if you have could you compare them to Gothic?
Post Sun May 11, 2003 2:26 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

I really like asherons call 2. its alot more computer intensive than gothic and there is barely any NPCs lots of quests. easy to learn and lots of fun once you join an allegience.

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Sun May 11, 2003 7:02 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

Thanks for the info..you know in asherons call 2..is there Guilds/alligences you called them i think?
it sounds very interesting to me...and i may go out and buy it next week.
Post Sun May 11, 2003 7:06 pm
DeweyBad
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hello all...

You may also try Morrowind and the morrowind addon dudes
Post Mon May 12, 2003 6:44 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

What a stupid thread. Everyone does not like the same games...
Post Mon May 12, 2003 7:03 am
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Originally posted by ziBzi
Thanks,, i was also thinking of buying: Asherons call 2, Balders Gate 2, Dark age of Camelot or dragon empires.. have you played any of these games,, if you have could you compare them to Gothic?

Balders Gate ? : ) Is this a new sect ?

Hum... all theses games are on other part of the RPG tree !
Asherons, Dark Age or Dragon Empire are MMORPG
and Baldur's gate is a 'iso 3D' - team based offline RPG...

The common points are the fantasy universe and the RPG stats.
But the gameplay is very different :

fights in mmorpg are less realtime ( everquest have an "auto-fight" key for example ) due to the network latency.
Fights in iso-style games are more hack&slash style.

Often, dialogs are just written, not spoken... ( maybe in the future when TTS technology... )

etc... etc...

I think you got the point.
Post Mon May 12, 2003 8:22 am
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
What a stupid thread. Everyone does not like the same games...

Maybe we should ask ziBzi the kind of game he like ?

I've presumed he had love gothic so...
Post Mon May 12, 2003 8:25 am
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

You seem to have an obsession with joining guilds in games, zibzi, so you might want to give morrowind a try. It has about 10 different guilds you can join.

Neverwinter Nights has guilds as well, although they play a very insignificant role in the game(in fact, they really affect the game in no real way), and the game itself is really nothing like Gothic, so, on second thought, you can forget that one...

There are probably plenty of guilds in any MMORPG, although the are player devised and can be extremely difficult to get into If your not good enough.
Post Mon May 12, 2003 11:51 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

You just suggested two games that i already have and i think are really useless at giving any real rpg gamer any pleasure at all!!!
those games are well known and have good reader reviews but that dont change a thing!
they suck..full stop
Post Tue May 13, 2003 7:15 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

I'm agree with you, ziBzi , but just say these two games are not the type you like ( there's some fan of MW or NWN here ! hum ! ) : )

I'm sad too by seeing morrowind has no spoken dialogs, has fights like everquest ones, annoying pop up monsters or badly chosen sound for jumps or spells.
It could be really great without these flaws because of its openness, beautifull textures, great env. sounds, epic adventure, etc...

But that's not the point... oops.
Post Tue May 13, 2003 9:43 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next