View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Archangel Demo Mirrors

Three mirrors are up at 3dgamers.com

Incase your not lucky enough to get into one of the 10 spaces at worthplaying's ftp.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:02 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Thank you, Provis! I couldnt get it from that other site.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:14 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Yes, thank you very much for the link.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:31 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm, after playing the demo for a little bit there are some things I want to say.

I think they need to work on the tutorial, I mean, they don't have any explanation as to how to do things in the tutorial. The guy just says, "Go get me two pots from this room." I was expecting some on screen cues as to what keys made me crouch and jump. Then when I had to fight something in the next room, I wasn't sure how to equip weapons. Sure all I had to do was look at the control config but isn't that what training missions are for, to tell people the control scheme without having to look through a big list.

I also had a few texturing errors in the cathedral, some of the texture would turn into just one big solid colour.

I know its kinda superficial but I didn't like the character models at all. I thought they were very poorly done. Granted, I couldn't do better but I thought the models in games like Rune or Blade of Darkness were much better. I thought the world was verry purty, then I saw the models and thought, ohh whats up? They're not horrible, just not as good as they could be. Ohh and it looked like that sword of light is missing a texture on the hilt. I swear it looks like it's solid grey.

I got killed one time because I didn't have a weapon equiped when I walked into a bunch of monsters and when I went to equip one I froze and couldn't move. Grrr how was I supposed to know the number keys allows for quick weapon equping? Should be able to scroll the wheel on the mouse to quickly change weapons, might be possible I didn't look into the control config that much.

And I wasn't very happy that, when using the sword of light, you can't even swing the thing if your spirit(?) meter is empty. I nearly got killed right off the bat because of that.

I don't like how the Lord of Light says "I'm giving you the ability to see in the dark and the power of healing" To me it seems like I have to "buy" these skills with "essence" points before I can use them.

Ohh and my last complaint was the acting seemed kinda cheesy from time to time. And they appeared to misspell the Abbott's character name, they have it set as Abbot, while the dialog spells it as Abbott.

The very best thing in the game, IMO, the character's eyes. THEY MOVE. I don't know if movable eyes were ever implimented in a game before. If they were I never noticed. Does Morrowind have moving eyes??

Overall, I don't think I'll be getting this game.

Although the title did remind me of the game Requiem: Avenging Angel, that I played the demo for, loved, but never got around to buying. I gotta look for it next time I go to a computer store. Should be mighty cheap by now.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:30 am
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Character models- wretched. Jedi Knight and Die by the Sword were as good.

Other graphics- beautiful.

Animation- lousy.

Eyes may move, but they never blink.

Lips flap, but don't move.

How do you sneak up on the demon?

Voice acting, especially for the main character, is laughably terrible.

All in all, I am disappointed, and it's a good thing that my ISP doesn't charge me for bandwidth.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:18 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

To sneak up on the demon you have to press ALT key.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:21 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
To sneak up on the demon you have to press ALT key.

How in the sweet name of Mary was I supposed to figure that out? This demo is awfully useless.

Oh, and the graphics still SUCK.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:31 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Like I said, they really need to look up the meaning of the phrase "training missions"

Hehe, Yea, I guess you're right, they don't have eyelids.

Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:47 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I played this game for 2 hours and its not really that great after all. They dont give you enough health packs to stay alive, and fighting is like, too cumbersome and repetitive. I mean all you have to do to live is jump around, making them miss you. And also, i agree, the NPCs are stupid and the NPC speaking (both vocal sounds and script) are cheesy. Maybe it was good stuff to listen to when this was in German? but in English, its lame. Overall, i give this game 5 out of 10 stars, but thats just my opinion

EDIT -- i will NOT be buying this game.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:24 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ohh and once you get to the town, if you are loseing a battle, all you have to do is go into a building.

It's alot easier to survive once you get 300 essense points to buy regeneration.

Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:25 am