game crashes after half hour of play
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

game crashes after half hour of play

I have been reading the other posts on this subject, but none seem to address my situation. I installed DD last week, but the game seems to hang up after about a half hour. I then have to quit and restart game and sometimes it will want to configure the game before it will let me restart it(it says DD did not shut down properly) I have DX8; not 9, so I don't think that is the problem. I have XP, 40 gig hard disk, 128 m virtual; I increased my page file size to a minimum of 300 and max 1000m; I first increased this when I was playing Wizardry 8 and it started hanging and increasing the page file size seemed to help. I plan on upgrading my virtual to 512m next week, so would this help DD not to hang? Also Wiz 8 is still on my hard drive, 'cause my son plays the game and hasn't finished-could this be why the game is hanging(too much stuff on hard drive?) I have 18gig of free space left on hard drive. Should I remove wiz 8 before playing DD? Also I noticed my computer will no longer do disk cleanup or check disk, it seems to hang when it starts disk cleanup but will not finish the process...would this make you think something else is wrong and the hang is not DD specific...nothing was hanging after I increased the page file until I installed DD. ANY advice on how to troubleshoot/fix this would be appreciated.
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:07 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

- It is unlikely Wizardry 8 is preventing you running Divinity smoothly.
- not sure upgrapde memory to 512 MB will solve your problem, but it's very good investment for your gaming PC anyway.
- If you want to uninstall W8, or Divinity and reinstall them again, try keep the save games for both in another folder. This way your son could continue his game after reinstallation.
- no longer do disk cleanup or check disk? these sound bad and it mean something no right in your operating system/WinXP.

1) Try newest Patch - ver.1.32 http://www.larian.com/Site/english/divinity/english.html
2) change desktop color depth from 32 bit to 16 bit if you haven't already.
3) set your graphic option to software mode rendering.
4) If any, turn off background programs such as antivirus
5) update the driver for both graphic & sound card
6) Reinstal the game.
7) If your computer is about 1-2 years old, quite often install and uninstall freewares, sharewares, games, programs - then make a clean reinstallation for the computer (after reformatting). Do it only if you know how to do it!.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:11 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hmm... I have both DD and Wiz8 on my system and I've noticed no problems. You might want to get more RAM and follow Remus' advice above.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:29 am
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks for advice

Thanks for the advice Remeus and Val; I think I have no choice but to reformat since now it won't even restart, but hangs and the "encountered problem with resart end program now" screen comes up...I am having to use my daughter's old 95, Pentium I 1.5 gig 166mghz to even be able to log into the internet, so there won't be any gaming in my future for a little while...what a wonderful start to the new year...its just upsetting 'cause I kept all of my anti-virus stuff uptodate and had no warning of this coming Hope everyone else has a merrier New Year!!!
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:57 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Sorry to hear that.

I hope your reinstallation goes better than this installment.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:47 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

If you can't run scandisk in WinXP that's a cause for concern - (open My Computer, right-click on the drive-letter, choose Properties, Tools and click Check Now under Error-Checking).

This is probably what you were talking about, anyway. If it's your boot drive (C: ), WinXP will say that it will complete the process when you next restart. WinXP does this so that fewer files are open which makes it more reliable than the equivalent system in Win98. Since it's more reliable it's a worry if that doesn't work.

You can check your HDD with various drive utilities such as this one for Seagate drives. Generally each hard drive brand has such a tool. They're a little technical but you sound well on top of that.

Good luck.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:26 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

If you could get the computer to boot into safe mode off a cold boot, you might be able to run a repair installation. Might help.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:14 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I also started having severe computer problems as soon as I installed and started playing DD. On startup I got error messages that something was wrong with my system files, and Win 98 reloaded a backup of my system.

This went on and on. Nobody has ever been able to tell me what the problem is. After my computer crashed completely I finally had to completely wipe my system and install Win XP.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:40 am