Sacred - Arcade Sequences?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Sacred - Arcade Sequences?

I was warned on the Divinity forum that both Sacred and Beyond Divinity will have some tough arcade sequences. That is very bad news to me. I can't do them and hate to come across them in an RPG.

Is it true? How hard are these sequences? Are they show stoppers or optional?
Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:57 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Re: Sacred - Arcade Sequences?

quote:
Originally posted by SilkenKidden
I was warned on the Divinity forum that both Sacred and Beyond Divinity will have some tough arcade sequences. That is very bad news to me. I can't do them and hate to come across them in an RPG.

??? Nothing in the Sacred demo anyway, if I do understand your meaning of "arcade sequences" right!?
Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:04 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I can't vouch for Beyond Divinity, but I'd be surprised if Sacred had "arcade" sequences a la KOTOR.

Sacred is an isometric hack n'slash game, in the Diablo 2 mode. I just don't think the game engine would allow for a mix of arcade set-pieces. It would be out of character too. So long as you can click a mouse 1 million times in a day .... that's likely all the skill you'll need. That's me sorted then
Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:19 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Michael C
quote:

??? Nothing in the Sacred demo anyway, if I do understand your meaning of "arcade sequences" right!?

The person who mentioned the sequences referred to my problems with those in Star Wars KotOR. I could not handle the mini arcade games that were imbedded in that otherwise great RPG and this person had seen some of my notes asking for help.

I really can't handle anything that takes a lot of hand/eye co-ordination. There was on such sequence in a recent RPG - perhaps Arx Fatalis, but I don't think that was intentional by the game designers, but rather bad programming.You were required to jump across a void and it was almost impossible. Usually you can handle these things in an RPG, but every so often a designer (like Lucas) thinks we really want to click on the mouse more than anything else in the world.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:06 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
I really can't handle anything that takes a lot of hand/eye co-ordination. There was on such sequence in a recent RPG - perhaps Arx Fatalis, but I don't think that was intentional by the game designers, but rather bad programming.You were required to jump across a void and it was almost impossible. Usually you can handle these things in an RPG, but every so often a designer (like Lucas) thinks we really want to click on the mouse more than anything else in the world.

I certainly can't guarantee that you don't have to click your mouse a lot in Sacred, thus there are probably 1000's of opponents , but none of the possible characters are able to "jump" (except perhaps as part of a combo move), or make other special moves besides attacking. Sacred is just not this kind of game, where you put in "arcade sequences". And the same is most likely also true for "Beyond Divinity" as it's predecessor "Divine Divinity" didn't contain anything like "arcade" at all.
But don't just take my word for it, try the demo's yourself.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:10 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

All of the single player missions in diablo 2 ended with a battle with a very tough boss.

I think they all took some coordination, to avoid the various fireballs.

Sacred seems to be a great deal like diablo 2, so its my opinion someone whos not good at arcade games might get stuck with it.

I may be wrong because the demo is very easy. Ill have to wait to see what the regular game is like.

That is what Im refering to, not something in the demo exactly but something I expect in the actual game based on what diablo 2 was like.

The game itself with its engine is very arcade like by my definition of the word.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:41 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Arcade sequences is for me a lot of jump, climb and other precise acrobatic movements in a long unbreakable sequence, where you have no possibility to "save" your progress or otherwise to break off the sequence, to continue it later on your own pace.
Fighting bosses in Diablo 2, and Sacred most likely is nothing like that, You can break of the fight anytime to rest or refill your belt with healing potions. Okay in Diablo 2 you couldn't save the game, but in Sacred you can save anytime and probably anywhere. In an arcade sequence, you have to start all over if you, if you fail once.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:40 am