Scariest and funniest rpg moments
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

Scariest and funniest rpg moments

For me, the scariest "moment" was the whole black beast puzzle in arx , especially when I saw the dead dwarf and I read the journal.

The funniest was in gothic when inserted a troll and lee near a cliff, then they, fought for a while and the troll was almost dead, but then, the troll punched lee and he fell off the cliff and died, then the troll slid down the cliff too .
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:34 am
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

the scariest moment:
When i first played the "System Shock 2" demo and was walking around in an "empty" corridor when i heard somebody say "Something, out of place...". i listened for a while until i heard the person scream "I...I...I am HUMAN!! NO WE ARE NOT! WE ARE BETTER THAN WE WERE BEFORE!!" at that point i freaked out and called it quits for the night.

my funniest moment:
I was playing Morrowind for the first time ever when i had just finished buys things and was leaving Seda Neen. i heard somebody scream and i walked to where i heard it come from. i looked around for awhile until some crazy bastard fell out of the sky and landed right in front of me. being the sick person that i am i rolled on the ground laughing when i read the idiots journal.

Broken in Exile
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:40 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

While SS2 was probably the scariest single game, the scariest moment recently was during Arx. I pulled a lever in the crypt. There was a tremendous BANG and my screen went BLACK. If you've played the game, you know what happened; if you haven't, I wont spoil it.
Funniest, lately, was the two skeletons in DD discussing how they could talk and move.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:12 am
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

My funniest moments were all in Divine Divinity..........

The scene with the skeletons as mentioned above and also the 2 guys arguing after their carts had collided and they ended up going to the tavern...

Scariest moments...........hmmm.....none yet, mind you I didnt play SS2 and I have yet to buy Arx Fatalis

Anyway, how about the "cleverest" moments. You know, that moment when you have accomplished something, like a puzzle or a quest and you quietly admire the game designers skill??

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:49 am
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

P.s.

How could I have forgot the first time I came across Minsc & Boo.......

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:50 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

CRPG scariest moments: there were many scary moments in CRPGs I played, but my scariest experience was in Wild Arms. There's a quest to search for a yong boy with a red balloon, and just when you sight him in the distance, a great cactclysm happens and everybody dies, including the kid. That scared me to no end.
The non-RPG giving me the best scares was Thief (I and II).
CRPG funniest moments: Grunty's speech after he killed the last alien in JA2 had me in stitches.
CRPG cleverest moment: Hmmm... I don't remember a puzzle striking me as outstandingly clever at the time I played, but there's a puzzle which took me two weeks to solve. I felt incredible relief when I finally got it solved all by myself - the 'scorched map/revolting floor' puzzle in Lands of Lore 1.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:56 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

One of the scariest things in recent CRPGs that I've played, was Wizards and Warriors, getting chased by amazoni man traps.

Its sort of a ridiculously overpowered monster and when it catches you youre dead. And it follows you relentlessly, so any delay when its on your tail is very stressfull. Almost like the old coin op game sinistar lol Im not sure how many people will get that comparison though.

I think Divine Divinity had a cool low key sense of humor. I liked all the cockney accented dwarves. That was one of the funnier games.

Arx Fatalis and the goblin king was very funny also. The goblin character actor is hilarious.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:25 am
corwin

How could I have forgotten those Amazoni man traps. I remember 4 of them following me back to the town. They were waiting too, the next time I ventured out. Boy were they ever tough!! Definitely unbalanced though.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:29 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

My scariest moment was when I was playing Gothic for the first time. I was exploring the northern parts of the colony (please note that I was about level 2 at the time with no armour) and I met my first snapper, I barely made it back to the old camp.

Never realy had a funny moment, unless meeting roach for the first time counts... no?

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:51 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Im practically sure that amazoni man traps are bugged corwin. You are meant to have a resistance to poison. But you dont have resistance to what their attack is, it always hits. It always freezes you and massacres you. Even when youre very high level.

But thats what was so cool about those monsters. They were serious. Right in the middle of a fairly easy game here are these monsters that can whoop yer ass easily.

I remember trying to run past them run around them. attack them. And then when I did finally run by them into the city I thought " Whew load up the city and heal up and theyll be gone."

But no! They waited right outside the city for me and now they had me trapped!!!!

Hee hee those bastard plants.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:40 am
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

funniest moment off the top of my head is in Arx when the Goblin says "You fight like a Girl Goblin!"
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:07 am
corwin

One of my greatest pleasures in Arx was wiping out every Goblin. "Filthy Human" got to me, as did your comment. A fireball up the backside worked wonders!!

Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:23 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

My both funniest *and* scariest moment at the same time was in Daggerfall. I was playing while a friend watched over my shoulder. I was lost in a dungeon and found a dead end that I was sure had to had a secret door somewhere. I started clicking over torches walls and what have you trying to find that hidden switch. Then I (my character) turned over and there was the face of this ugly giant or whatever it was staring at us. My friend and I both jumped and screamed at the same time and broke in laughter a few moments later. That moment I'll never forget.
As for the amazoni, I was lucky to find certain spot in a moat where I could reach them with ranged attacks but they couldn't reach me, so it was a matter of time to kill them.
The cleverest... hmmm... this was a looong time ago and I don't remember which game it was. Probably shadows over riva in which there was a big circle in which you had to connect certain colored lines in certain order to open a door. I remember a great feeling of satisfaction when I solved that all by myself.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:03 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't think I could single out any one particular moment in this game, but Fallout 2 certainly struck me as one of the most subtly humorous games ever. At times I'd sit still and just wait for the NPCs to make their comments because they were so funny to read.

I think my scary moments would have to be in AO. There was a time (earlier on) when the world was still in flux and not all the sectors were completely filled up with content. My character (only lvl 40 at the time) loved travelling. So, I'd end up in these end-game sectors, with awsome environmental effects, scared out of my pants and slinking through the shadows, praying that nothing exists in the fog that's all around me. I was trully scared at times, even though it was all a virtual reality that surrounded me. Especially when I'd encounter a new mob that nobody ever heard of before.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:45 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Scariest RPG I've ever played (and I've played a lot) was System Shock 2 by far. Arx Fatalis and Gothic had some good moments as well though. The Crypt in Arx fatalis, and the first time you encounter undead in Gothic were pretty creepy. (Please God, bring Gothic 2 to the USA soon!!)

It's harder to choose a funniest moment because CRPG'S tend to have quite a bit of humor in them. The funniest moment I've ever experienced in any computer game(all genres), was at the end of the second chapter in Duke Nukem 3D. When you first encounter the end boss, Duke says, quote:
"I'm gonna rip off your head and sh*t down your neck"
After you defeat the boss, Duke unfolds a newspaper and then proceeds to do exactly what he promised. I'd never laughed that hard from a video game.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:17 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next