RPGDot Feature: Roleplaying Games for Handhelds - GBA
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

RPGDot Feature: Roleplaying Games for Handhelds - GBA

We don't usually cover handheld gaming - or the JRPGs commonly found on them - but with the holiday season approaching, we thought some of you might consider gaming on the move. And if you do grab a handheld, you'll want to play something from your favourite genre, right? We grabbed Mike 'txa1265' Anderson from <a href="http://www.gamerdad.com/" target="_blank">GamerDad</a> and asked for his help with an overview, starting with the Gameboy Advance. I was surprised to find a good number of turn-based and party titles -- not to mention SSI's classic Eye of the Beholder!
<br>
<br>Read on <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1191">here</a> and keep an eye out for other platforms in the near future.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:27 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I disagree with the ranking of lotr:the third age for gba. It is a unique and fun tbs. Equally as good as the fire emblems. Better in some ways, worse in others. One of the few tbs's with really tough battles, forcing you to do them over and over and figure out the right strategy. One of the big downfalls is you can redo battles as much as you want to gain exp and buy abilities/items. Iy becomes neccesary to do that in order to win the bigger battles (without any fatalities since you won't be able to use your guys in the next battles).

Other than that, pure gold. Stratey is key, placement, unit vs. unit is taken to another level, and every move counts. Not a lot of stupid cinemetics either.

FF tactics just doesn't have the ooph the ps one did. Its still a good game, and has more life than lotr:3rd age, but isn't a better tbs title, or even close, in my opinion.

I also heard the makers of x-com made a gba tbs game. I had the name written down a while ago but it wasn't anywhere I checked, I'm figuring I'll have to buy it online if I want it. Is that the shining force game? Or is it not listed?

P.s.= thanks for the list, its a good list. I have grown to like the gba more and more over the years. And to think I got it just to shut my wife up when i play real games, and I basically took it over.

I also can't recommend minish cap enough to zelda fans. It has way too many jumping puzzles, making it less an old school zelda and more in line with the new crap with all the jumping, but if I can handle the jumping, anyone can.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:29 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Belive it or not there are actually several very good old-school style rpg's for Palm Pilots and PocketPC's. I used my Palm Pilot to play a game called Dragon Bane and really enjoyed it and didn't have to buy a dedictated hand held game machine. PC is obviously the best format for CRPGs in my opinion, but Dragon's Bane was quite a lot of fun for a portable CRPG, IMO.

http://www.palmcreations.com/db2.htm
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:20 am
Lucky Day

I'd liek to see more coverage of handheld RPG's - if they're legitimate of course.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:32 am

niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I have to admit, the GBA has really surprised me. There are some surprisingly good games on there. Although I think it's better for tactical games and tactical flavored RPGs then it is for traditional RPGs.

I agree with Roqua about 3rd age, I liked that game quite a bit.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:17 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
I disagree with the ranking of lotr:the third age for gba. It is a unique and fun tbs. Equally as good as the fire emblems.
I have limited play experience with that game - the score is one of those 'meta scores' - but what I saw indicated the strategy part wasn't as good as Advance Wars, for instance, and the RPG parts were pretty lacking. Since I was making a RPG list, and only Strategy games with strong RPG elements made the list, tehy were also evaluated based on that.

quote:
FF tactics just doesn't have the ooph the ps one did.

While I can't speak to the PS in any way, never having had a console (other than the 'Cube we got the kids), I also find FF Tactics Advance didn't 'grab me' in the way many others did ... I'll have to retry again some day.

quote:
I also heard the makers of x-com made a gba tbs game. I had the name written down a while ago but it wasn't anywhere I checked, I'm figuring I'll have to buy it online if I want it. Is that the shining force game? Or is it not listed?
Yeah - it is called "Rebelstar: Tactical Command", and is supposed to be pretty darn good - and a decent price!

quote:

P.s.= thanks for the list, its a good list. I have grown to like the gba more and more over the years.
As have I - thanks for the kind words.

quote:
I also can't recommend minish cap enough to zelda fans.
This is definitely one of my top 10 games of 2005. I had a grand time playing it - not an RPG, but just a blast.

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Day
I'd liek to see more coverage of handheld RPG's - if they're legitimate of course.
I'd be happy to do something occasional ... provided that it is wanted by your friendly neighborhood RPGDot admins, of course

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:57 pm
evil_lemming
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Good list, hads lots of fun with some of them games. Just upgraded to a DS, some impressive looking stuff on its way for that
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:32 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265
quote:
I disagree with the ranking of lotr:the third age for gba. It is a unique and fun tbs. Equally as good as the fire emblems.
I have limited play experience with that game - the score is one of those 'meta scores' - but what I saw indicated the strategy part wasn't as good as Advance Wars, for instance, and the RPG parts were pretty lacking. Since I was making a RPG list, and only Strategy games with strong RPG elements made the list, tehy were also evaluated based on that.

I guess it matters what you count as rpg elements, 3rd age had purchasable/upgradable abilities, purchasable/upgradable equiptment, and items. Fire emblems had no upgrade choices at all, just weapons/items. lvl up was auto in the FE's.

But, in my opinion, all TBS's are weak rpgs, since they aren't rpgs. Thank you very much for the name of the game (Rebelstar), now I'm up to three games I want and can't afford yet (Hammer & Sickle, Fire Emblem for GC, and Rebelstar). I haven't had this problem in years and years. Usually I have the money, but no game to get. Kids will suck the damn life out of you, little blood sucking parasites.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:48 pm
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I never really thought of 3rd age as a RPG, I mean it had some elements of one certainly, but the big emphasis was on moving your armies, and not on the partipation of individual heroes. I did think the strategy was comparible to advance wars though. Perhaps more importantly, it had alot fo flavor. Every LoTR battle felt like a unique epic fight with alot of flavor and unusual circumstances. Advance wars battles felt much more generic.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:54 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I never counted any of the tbs's as rpgs, but too each there own. What is advance wars? Its a good TBS?
Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:03 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
What is advance wars? Its a good TBS?
Excellent series - 2 games on the GBA, and a new one for the DS. I never playyed the first, but my son loves the 2nd, and I played the heck out of the DS version.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:38 am
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It's a mission based TBS, it's quite fun and engaging if you like things like that. It doesn't have the story and flavor of LoTR, and there are absolutely no RPG elements but still the actual gameplay is fun and has quite a bit of strategy without being overly complicated. Unlike LoTR, each board you have a certain amount of income which you get from controlling various towns around the map, and you can use the money to hire new units.
Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:59 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like a good game I'll have to check out. I wish video stores rented GBA games.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:24 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
I wish video stores rented GBA games.
Isn't that the truth ... I'm lucky to get the odd PSP game - only 1 out of the 3 Blockbuster's in my area carry them for rental.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:31 am