(URGENT) How to enchant items ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
ganory1
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

(URGENT) How to enchant items ?

ive tried everywhing i need to find out how to enchant, i didnt understand the spell part of the enchantment i didnt know what to do with it (the magic and effect) plz i need it ASAP
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:08 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Enchanting is a tricky topic - what particular part have you got to or are you stuck on?

You pick an item to enchant and a trapped soul to use as power.

You then select the desired effects by clicking on a spell effect on the left, filling in the dialogue and clicking Okay. The options include duration, area, magnitude and target.

You cannot create an item with more effects than the item can hold (the 0/60 or whatever in the top right corner), and the number of enchentment points in the soul must be enough to at least cover the cost of the effects (something like 45/120, somewhere under the above), and for non-constant effects, you should probably leave room to be able to cast the effect several times before it runs out.

Melee weapons may be enchanted On Strike, but not bows or crossbows. Some effects are disallowed (e.g. Divine Intervention on Target). Either you pay an enchanter to make the item for you (recommended), or you use your own skill in Enchant and attributes of Intelligence and Luck to attempt it.

If this hasn't helped you, which particular area do you need clarification on?
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:26 pm
ganory1
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

??

I did exactly as you said but no spells/effects apperd.
thus i couldnt create the enchanted item, i need a more detailed answer about the spells section of the enchantment
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:40 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ah, right. The spell effects listed are effects that your character knows. If you want to enchant an item with a "Damage Health" effect, you need a spell in your spellbook with that effect. Note that you don't add spells to the item, but spell effects - if you know a spell called "Chinese Burn" that deals a 2pt Damage Health on Touch, that's enough to be able to enchant an item with any Damage Health effect, e.g. a weapon with a Damage Health 200pts for 10 seconds on Strike.

The exception to the rule is that of skills and attributes - they are all available as effects once you know one of them. If you know "Fortify Long Blade" you can create any "Fortify Skill" effect. If you know "Restore Strength" you can create any "Restore Attribute" effect.

I guess therefore you don't know any spells yet. There are only four ways to get spells in Morrowind: (1) be given them on character creation, if your initial magical skills are high enough, (2) purchase them from spell vendors, (3) make your own, or (4) be granted them, usually as part of a quest. The usual method is (2), then (3) when necessary.

Visit Dunmer Temples, Imperial Cult Shrines, Mage's Guilds etc and look for people with a "Spells" entry in their services area (just below Persuasion on the conversation screen). Be warned that some spells are quite expensive, so keep an eye on your money!

Hint: The easiest way to gain a lot of spell effects is to visit the local Mage's Guild and buy all the spells you want, then use the guild guide to teleport to the next guild and repeat.
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:23 pm
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
Melee weapons may be enchanted On Strike, but not bows or crossbows.

Can you enchant arrows/bolts or groups of arrows/bolts to cast on strike? Or is the only way to get spell effects with missile weapons to buy them?
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:18 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yep, enchanting arrows and bolts isn't possible in the basic unmodded game. I expect there's a mod out there to allow it though!

So yes, you'll need to buy them, or loot a corpse for them - Skeleton Archers tend to drop a lot I believe.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:38 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

How do I trap a soul? Then after I trap it how do I get it in the soul gem? I'm confussed on soultrapping and enchanting too. I understand I would need a soultrap spell for trap a soul, but when do I cast that soultrap spell? And what happens when I trap the soul, do I kill the creature afterwards or does it die from me trapping it's soul? And so can I attempt to soultrap something I have no chance of killing? Help me....
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:02 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Kiff
How do I trap a soul? Then after I trap it how do I get it in the soul gem? I'm confussed on soultrapping and enchanting too. I understand I would need a soultrap spell for trap a soul, but when do I cast that soultrap spell? And what happens when I trap the soul, do I kill the creature afterwards or does it die from me trapping it's soul? And so can I attempt to soultrap something I have no chance of killing? Help me....
The first paragraph of the "enchanting" section of your manual spells it out about as simply as possible. Give it a read, and then we can clarify anything that still doesn't make sense to you.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:13 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Haha, I would, but I'm bought the game off a friend. All he had was the map's (thank god). So if you could be as so kind as to write the first paragraph in the manual I would be greatful.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:20 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Fair enough. BTW- overall, the manual blows so you aren't missing much there.

Make sure you have an empty soul gem in your inventory.
Find a live critter.
Successfully cast "soul trap" via spell or scroll. (the critter will get a "halo")
Kill the critter before the "soul trap" runs out. (the standard spell lasts 60sec)
You'll get a message that the soul was trapped.
Check your inventory, and the soul gem will now have the soul in it.
Do the happy dance.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:16 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

<---- my happy dance. Yes, I'm a white boy. Thanks...
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:02 pm
Mormegil
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

how to enchant

hey i really need to know how to enchant stuff. i mean i understand it up to the point where you get the soul in the soul gem but then i dont understand what to do after that to enchant it on your own without paying someone
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:35 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

equip the charged soul gem. That will bring up the enchanting screen.
Post Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:20 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Spells

I just started the game and have a long way to go but is it possible to finish this game as a warrior and not get into the spell casting more than to restore health ect.? I'm having enough problems getting my feet into the game and all the quests, and my brain is not up to making potions and spell casting for the first time around. Am I safe or will it bite me later? Thanks for info in advance.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:41 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'd say (based on what I've heard here) the game is easiest as a spellcaster once you make a high level, but I'd say you'll be fine as a melee type.
Post Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:44 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next