Very good tips as a Mage, and question about Bandit's Camp
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
SharpBlue
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Very good tips as a Mage, and question about Bandit's Camp

Hi, just thought I'd share a few tips for playing as a mage...

First of all, unlike in Gothic 1, it's possible to knock people down with magic. The trick is to use lightning instead of fire. For example, if you finish an NPC with a fireball, he's going to die and you'll get everyone screaming "Murderer!" and come after you. On the other hand, if you switch to Ball Lightning before giving the last hit, he'll just be knocked down. That means mages can forgo strenght completely, which is very nice!

Another thing that you might want to do is, before becoming a mage, spend a few points in either bows or crossbows. That's because after becoming a mage, training weapons costs 2 skill points for every 1% of increase. So I strongly suggest you spend around 20 points on a ranged weapon, it will make your life much easier. I didn't know that, and I still have 10% in all weapons now... at lvl 20 (chap 4), I miss the extra training a lot. I'm not willing to spend 50 skill points to only get 25% increase in bows. The thing is that magic is generally more powerful than ranged weapons, but you'll soon find out that drinking one mana potion per monster killed depletes your reserves very quick.

The reason to go ranged is very simple... Dexterity has a lot more uses than just ranged weapons (lockpick, pickpocket), and you're going to find/brew a lot of dexterity potions (they are way more common than strength ones). So you can get your dexterity in the 70+ range by chapter 3, without spending a single skill point in it. You only have to learn to brew dexterity potions from Sagitta first. As for the other uses for dexterity, DEFINITELY learn lockpicking and pickpocketing. They are incredibly useful. There are tons of locked chests in the game with very useful stuff. As for pickpocketing, I think it's the single most useful skill in the game. You can steal a lot of things with it, more than just money. But the kicker is that you gain experience every time you use the skill, depending on the chapter. I really started using the skill in chapter 3 (you need 50 dex to really start not getting caught), and you get 150 EXP points every time! I've pickpocketed at least 40 people so far, that's 6000 experience points, worth around two levels by the time I started to use it. Not to mention around 2000 gold, potions, arrows and etc. that you gain when stealing. As a mage, you're going to need to buy a lot of mana potions, so extra gold is always useful.

Now, I have a little question... Is there any way for me to enter the Bandit's Camp (near Onar's farm) if I didn't get the Bandit Leader name from the first Bandit in the game? Do I have to go in and kill everyone? I really hate to take this kind of "kill everything that moves" approach.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:50 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

well you could do a roundabout jump on the wall before the bridge and get to dexter house from the other side but you'd still need to fight them all
even when i had his name it was a tempory reprieve I didn't fight the guard at first but talked to dexter and still they attacked me don't know

probably the price on my head
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:10 am
bora
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

After talking to Dexter I went there once or twice to see dungeons and get some minecrawlers plates and they didn`t attack me. Only Dexter did second time I saw him but the others were not yery eager to help him.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:15 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

true
kill the guard and the first circle of bandits attacks
kill dexter and the bunch of bandits near is house attacks
the bandits in the other tower are content at doing nothing except growling your way " u better get out of here while u still can"
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:45 am
bora
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

This topic brought me one question. I killed them all in first chapter. In one of the others Torlof gives quest that few Seekers went that way to Dexters encampment. I only found 1 there. Maybe if Dexter would be still alive something more could happen?
The same with first bandit can be encountered in the game and his companions. Died by my hand at the very beginning. Later Cornelius runs from Khorinis to their hideout (I killed him on the way and after his body was laying in this cave - so I assume he was suppose to get there). Maybe they were still alive, again something more could come out?
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:56 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

to your answer no
the first time I played I didn't even know what bandit fort he was talking about so I arrived as a paladin to the fort and dexter said exactly the same thing.

as for the first bandit i honstely don't know but after taking dexter name from him u can warn him about the farmers and he just walk away.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:02 am
Danica
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If you are going for the mage path

I dunno about the business of the bandits, but I agree with the original poster on the importance of beefing up one's favourite weapon skill and to a lesser degree the corresponding stat (STR or DEX), before becoming a Novice.

In short: Level up as much as possible while still guildless and focus on weapon skill.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:38 pm