Fable (Xbox): Review @ RPGFan
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Fable (Xbox): Review @ RPGFan

The first "negative" <a href="http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/fable/index.html" target="_blank">review</a> of Fable I have come across is online at RPGFan. The score is still a reasonable 73% by most standards but the text sends the message loud and clear:<blockquote><em>Project Ego. Announced what seems to be eons ago, Peter Monyneux's Fable has captivated the minds of those wishing for another Halo for the Xbox. Supposedly a wide-open RPG, Fable was to allow players to track their character over a lifetime. Characters would scar and age, markings you made in a tree as a child would stay as you grew older. You were supposed to be able to do anything you wanted in Fable. A single day after its release, I sat down at my computer and began to type this review. My time clock for the game sits at just over eight hours, barely enough time for me to get started in Star Ocean 3, and less time than I have logged in the recent Burnout 3 release. Somehow I'm not satisfied. Five years in development and I get a game that I'll be in line at EB tomorrow to return.</em></blockquote>
Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:42 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

This is exactly what I mean. People just expect too much. What a moron.

Why dont you just go back and play Burnout 3, I am sure thats a much more rewarding game

bah! who cares. Its his loss anyway.
Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:44 pm
deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I don't know how he came up with 73% when the average of all his scores comes out to 82.5%

My character has several scars and one runs down my face and through my eyelid. My character is 50 now with wrinkles and leathary skin and Iv'e played for 20 hours getting my character stong enough to pull a sword from the stone. Mission wise I think Im halfway, but not sure. This game is really great IMO
Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:18 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Well I just read the entire review and it just stinks of someone who didnt even play the game all the way through. Half the crap he says just isnt even true:

quote:
In another control issue, the button to get orbs is the R button, the same button that switches to magical control, making it nearly impossible to collect orbs during non-magical battle.

huh???? My character never uses magic and I have no problem collecting the orbs using the R button.

Oh this is a great one:

First of all he says a feature was dropped:

quote:
Unfortunately, features were dropped. Looking at a screen from earlier in development, the character had a distinct scar running over his left eye, obviously from a strike to that area.

And further down comments on how he experienced the EXACT SAME feature:

quote:
My character was also scarred because he was beaten up early in the game by Hobbes, dwarf-like creatures. He was never knocked down, however, so why were the scars on his face?

This guy is an idiot!!!

quote:
My character slaughtered an entire village at the beginning of the game just for fun. Did I feel that my character was any more evil? No. In fact, the only thing that made me feel even the slightest bit of remorse was eating a baby chick that was in my inventory. Not even murdering my wife and farting on her corpse and giving it the finger made me feel bad.

I think that says more about this guys lack of morals than the game. How more freaking evil can you get???

He also complains about being good or evil being reversible. Last time I checked, redemption existed in the real world. Good people go evil and evil people repent all the time. If he doesnt like it then dont repent!!!

I know Fable isnt perfect, but what game is. He could at least mention some of the REAL issues with the game, like accidentaly killing people when using the lock on...

I have a headache now. I just cant comprehend how people can be so retarded, let alone get a job pushing their retardation on other people!!
Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:35 pm
DarthOtzzelot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
quote:
My character slaughtered an entire village at the beginning of the game just for fun. Did I feel that my character was any more evil? No. In fact, the only thing that made me feel even the slightest bit of remorse was eating a baby chick that was in my inventory. Not even murdering my wife and farting on her corpse and giving it the finger made me feel bad.

I think that says more about this guys lack of morals than the game. How more freaking evil can you get???

I think the reviewer at tothegame.com finds better words for what the other guy might want to say:
quote:
The fact of the matter is, I never really felt good or evil just by completing the quests. Sure I could become more evil if I slaughter a few innocent town folks or stole some items?but that didn?t make me feel evil, but rather barbaric.
Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:10 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

No, you wont feel good or evil just by completing the quests.

This is a role playing game, and as such you need to get into character. You can expect the game to hold your hand all the time. You need to use a little bit of imagination for heavens sake.

I am playing a "Holier than thou" character and I constantly go out of my way to be very very nice when it has absolutely no benefit for me or no effect on the way the game world or its people behave. I am playing the role of my character and I find my experience all the more rewarding as a result.

Everyone in every single town adores me. I have a feaking Halo & Ethereal butterflies following me around. My armor is so shiny and "good" that you could probably eat your dinner off of it. I realy dont know what else the developers could have done to make me feel like any more of a goody two shoes...

If these reviewers expect the game to react to every tiny little thing they do, and expect to be led by the hand instead of using some of their own imagination, then they are going to be dissapointed with any game that they play.

We probably still have decades to go until a computer game can fulfil those requirements.
Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:37 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

You seem to miss that the main point why the author criticises the game is that it is too short. I think almost every review has commented on this, and I think any game gets rightly criticised for offering only 8 to 15 hours play time.
Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:19 pm

I dont see how you can say that. He made many many points in that review, far more than just "The game is too short".

I am commenting on the review as a whole. As a whole it is pathetic. I am sorry but thats just the way it is.

Maybe the game is too short. But I argue that anyone who complains the game is 8-15 hours long only has themselves to blame. I have been playing the game for well over 15 hours and I still have a lot of stuff left to do. If you rush through the game you are missing the point.

It seems to me that a lot of console RPG developers seem to be concentrating on quantity over quality. I for one am glad that for once someone has put out a game that has amazing attention to detail, even if it is around teh 20hour mark.

Give me quality over quantity anytime.
Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:25 pm