Observations about bugs and suggested solutions; please read
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
dlbaxter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Observations about bugs and suggested solutions; please read

Foremost, I'm not a computer wizard, but I can handle my own. Here's a few observations about bugs I and others in this forum have come across. First, my system specs:

AMD Athlon 1700+
512 mb RAM (I believe my brother opened our AGP aperture to 256; half your memory, right? -- out of my expertise)
ATI All in Wonder Radeon - 7200 chipset, updated
Soundblaster PCI (yeah, I know -- I don't play with music anyway)

In my opinion, this system should be able to run Morrowind at almost full quality just fine. It doesn't. I don't crash to the desktop, I crash altogether, forcing a reboot. I read in Danicek's compilation of .ini adjustments (http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8360) that changing the max FPS from 240 to 60 would help. I tried that today and I'm pretty sure that only made things worse; however, turning off thread load seemed to help tremendously -- crashes, sometimes, but not always, came while 'zoning'. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this madness. Sometimes I'll play hours on end crash-free, sometimes I'll boot up and crash three times in 10 minutes (8 of those minutes spent rebooting; at least, it feels that way). It's driving me bonkers! I think I'm overloading the graphics card, and I'm driven to spend some money on a new GeForce3 since that seems to be the card w/ the least amount of chokes.

Other bugs:

This one's interesting: I used my mortar and pestle and clicked on marshmerrow and instead of clicking 'ok' to move the 37 leaves over I hit enter; the game crashed to desktop. Anyone else have the same problem?

Turning on the FPS counter seemed to give my computer bad karma. I was in the Arena building in Vivec and trying to leave to the outside area and it crashed at the door, loading, 7 times (it rarely crashes in the same place twice). Even after letting the computer sit for hours, the same thing happened. I turned off FPS and thread load at the same time (bad idea, diagnostically, but if I had to reset one more time...) and then I could leave. I've become obsessive-compulsive, I quicksave at every door.

I just started doing the Morag Tong quests, but when I give the guard the writ, he takes my stolen goods anyway. OK, take the stolen glass armor, that makes sense, but taking potions I made from ingredients I stole -- that's ridiculous! I only bring this up because Kelly's gamefaqs.com post (http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/morrowind_quest.txt) says differently -- using the writ will get you out of trouble w/o losing your things. "I also noticed if I got caught stealing I could present a writ and I lost nothing." Not in my experience at least.

Please feel free to list all your problems in this topic; I'd really like to know your system specs, game settings, frequency of problems, implemented (positive, negative or neutral) solutions, and anything else you'd like to add.

-Dan
Post Thu May 30, 2002 8:11 am