Easy questions from a first time gamer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
dplonsky
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Easy questions from a first time gamer

I am looking for a good RPG. I came across Gothic a week ago and became very interested. I saw Gothic 2 is coming out in the U.S. at the end of January, so I decided not to get gothic and just wait until gothic 2 comes out to play it.

My roommate plays morrowind constantly and it seems like it is a never ending game. I can't get into morrowind mainly because it seems so dark and bleak. But the main advantage of morrowind is that it seems like it is a never ending game which appeals to me.

My question is this, how many hours of gameplay can I expect to get out of gothic 2? and how long is the learning curve for an inexperienced gamer?

From all that I read, Gothic 2 seems like a great game.

thanks!
Post Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:47 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Easy questions from a first time gamer

quote:
Originally posted by dplonsky

I am looking for a good RPG. I came across Gothic a week ago and became very interested. I saw Gothic 2 is coming out in the U.S. at the end of January, so I decided not to get gothic and just wait until gothic 2 comes out to play it.

My roommate plays morrowind constantly and it seems like it is a never ending game. I can't get into morrowind mainly because it seems so dark and bleak. But the main advantage of morrowind is that it seems like it is a never ending game which appeals to me.

My question is this, how many hours of gameplay can I expect to get out of gothic 2? and how long is the learning curve for an inexperienced gamer?

thanks!

I suggest that you buy Gothic first because Gothic II might (and probably) will come at the of March because their publisher is so unreliable.

I don't know how many hours of gameplay is in gothic 2 but their developer said that if you're REALLY determined and you don't do any other things other than the main quests, you can finish it in 50 hours.

The learning curve is somewhat steep but if you have any problems, I'm sure that the people here in Rpgdot will be happy to help you.

Welcome to the forums .
Post Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:00 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Easy questions from a first time gamer

quote:
Originally posted by dplonsky

Good idea. G2 is better than Gothic. Not much but clearly better.

quote:

The Gothics are linear games with some nonlinearity in the beginning. They follow a different concept than Morrowind. All statistics have been shrinked to the minimum to take the focus off the numbercrunching. The complete world (except a few dungeons) is held in memory, so you won´t see loading during normal gameplay. Landscape design is beautiful, details are everywhere.

quote:

My question is this, how many hours of gameplay can I expect to get out of gothic 2?

This depends heavily on your playing style. I explored almost everything and spent 20 hours <i>plus reloads</i> in chapter 1 of 6. The rest of the game is faster. I think 70 hours including reloads is realistic. Then you can play it again to solve the exclusive quests of the other character classes.

quote:

and how long is the learning curve for an inexperienced gamer?

Hard to tell because G2 plays like a streamlined Gothic, which means of course no learning curve at all for most people here.
I would rather say it´s a barrier, not a curve. The new <i>game</i> interface is intuitive. Not exactly elegant but at least it doesn´t get in your way. G2 has two different combat interfaces: (default) the slightly improved G1 interface all the reviewers hated and (optional) the 'one click interface'. The first one is what you want to play. Unfortunately <i>you</i> have to do the fighting, not your character. Controlling mouse and cursor keys simultaneously requires practice. Combat is surprisingly strategic but you shouldn´t expect to master it after 5 minutes.
The second interface is simple and does what the name says. It even works surprisingly well. More complex combat moves are optional.

An experienced gamer needs ~5 minutes to understand character development another 5 minutes for the game interface and 15 minutes for combat. You´ll need longer.

Gothic II is a hard game. Expect to die often in the beginning.

All this is pretty unspectacular. There´s no RPG out there which is easy enough to start right away.

quote:

thanks!

It is a great game.
Post Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:05 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I would, too, recommend playing gothic first.. just to get you going..
Anyway, you can finish Gothic in about 8h, but it's no fun that way. The very first time I've played it took me more than 40h(without the temple, which is additional 3-4h). Playing Gothic2 shouldn't take any longer, I guess. The world itself is larger, but it is said to be a more dynamic game, so that comes to 50h.
Post Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:37 pm
boxter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Morrowind is the way to go

It seems from your question you are looking for longevity in a game...if that is the case, I would strongly suggest trying Morrowind again since it can offer literally hundreds of hours of gameplay. I think you would be lucky to get 70 hours of gameplay from gothic 2. I also find it rewarding to immerse myself into a world that I can explore for many months, gothic won't have this ability although it is still a good game. Just my opinion
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:29 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I wouldn't recommend morrowind to a new gamer because it lacks direction and you'll probably get lost and confused constantly.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:45 am
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

i have played and finished all quests in gothic and morrowind.

The controls might seem awkard to a gamer whose just moving onto the next game but for a beginner i'm not so sure. Once you get over the controls its a fantastic game to get into.

Morrowind is massive with hundreds of quests, if your looking for a game that never ends morrowind is it.

I'd recommend gothic, you actually feel like your there

anyway gl
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:34 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Hey! For most of us, games aren't the only occupation in life...I also like to "immerse myself into a world that I can explore for many months", but there's simply not enough time(and there are many other worth-wile things to do in life).
Also, personally I like to look forward to an end, and then when I get there, I know I've accomplished something; and I feel good about myself.
The never-ending games just get you bored after a while...

(this is not one of those gothic vs. morrowind threads, so please don't make one)
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:56 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

quote:
Originally posted by HWFanatiC
Hey! For most of us, games aren't the only occupation in life...I also like to "immerse myself into a world that I can explore for many months", but there's simply not enough time(and there are many other worth-wile things to do in life).
Also, personally I like to look forward to an end, and then when I get there, I know I've accomplished something; and I feel good about myself.
The never-ending games just get you bored after a while...

(this is not one of those gothic vs. morrowind threads, so please don't make one)

Agreed.

Just get Gothic anyway: it may not be Gothic 2 but it's a brilliant game and deserves to be played. Since there's probably still a fair wait until the english Gothic 2 and the price of Gothic should be reasonable I can't see any reason to hesitate.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:17 am
oE|Crusader
Village Leader
Village Leader

there are about 150 h of gameplay in gothic

because you can choose 3 different camps. and then your own subdivision in those clans

gothic is really interactive, like say your walkin by some diggers, they will be sayin "well if i were you....." and you walk past kyle "stay out of my hut you bastards" And your choices make a difference.

Also you can spend 250+ hours (if you want) by doing all the camps, all subdivisions and then exploring and making your own world!

im the leader of the water mages, whatshisface had an accident
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:48 am
m00nchile
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic

Well, i liked Gothic I a lot. I do admit though, after the first chapter, it is very linear. Although that didn't bother me too much, coz you can still do
anything any time you want, no pressure like "go there now or else...".
About Gothic vs Morrowind, I haven't played morrowind so I don't have a
basis for comparison.

The first time i went trough Gothic (Old Camp) it took me 34h.
The i used marvin to get out of the *spoiler, won't tell it *
temple and had a few more hours of fun
All in all Gothic is a great game and I reccomend you play it before
Gothic 2
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:41 pm
dplonsky
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for all the great advice! From what you've all said it sounds like for a very inexperienced gamer, like myself, this game could take a very long time (especially since I am not a fanatical player who will play several hours a day, perhaps only 1 or 2 hours a day) this game could possible take me months to finish.

I don't really want to buy gothic 1 because I will never finish it in time for gothic 2 plus from what I read gothic 2 is supposed to superior to the first. I'm confused with the release date though, some of you have said that it may take months before it reaches the U.S. although the websites I've read said either January 27 or February 14..in fact, i think amazon.com is allowing pre-ordering already.

how do we know for sure when it will be released? will we have to wait till January 27 or February 14 to see if it is in the stores in order to find out?

thanks again for all your comments. Everyone has been very helpful
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:06 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

JoWooD, the publisher, is in deep financial trouble. They are very unorganized right now. An official release date has not been announced yet. On the release list it still says Q1.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:12 pm