FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Trials of Ascension (PC, MMORPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Pesky

After parusing their message board and taking another look at their site. I get the feeling that these guys are bright and willing to try new and innovative ideas. At the very least, they are willing to talk with their fan base and answer some questions.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:57 am

Alodar Sylmor

I must say that I am truly impressed with what this development team has laid down on their site for their upcoming game Trials of Ascension. I think this could very easily develope into the next 'big' game in the multiplayer market for RPG. <br> <br>I would suggest you check it out. <br> <br>www.shadowpool.com
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:51 am

Ralphy

A perma-death game is what I've been waiting for. They have some crazy races though. I would be happy if the cut the races in half and release a new one or two with expansions if it got the game done quicker (and hopefully done). Alot of bigger games with publishers have been cancelled, and I really hope this one makes it. I would be more than happy with 3-4 races with more animation shipping with gold.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:59 pm

Ammon777

i saw the site but i dont understand how 7 or 8 guys could make that huge thing. of course they might add on more on the team, so my point very well might be mote.
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:48 am

FourPak

Well, I just read the FAQ, and 2 things are blatantly obvious: <br> <br>1) "We're an independant development studio...". Translation: we have no money and this project will never be finished. This is yet another bunch of guys with "great ideas" who'll never get past a rough tech-demo stage of development. At best, the demo will help get them real jobs at a real game company. And maybe that's what they're really shooting for. <br> <br>2) Perma-Death + Unlimited PvP = Disaster. It shows that these guys have very VERY limited experience actually playing any mmogs. It's the classic, tragic, n00b care-bear mistake to think that some kind of "bounty hunter" community will arise among players, or that if it did, it would even be marginally effective against a group of talented griefers (remember UO?). Sorry guys, it's been proven over and over again that it just doesn't work. <br> <br>Anyway I guess it doesn't really matter since the game will never see the light of day. TOA seems more like another "my BSCS Senior Class Project" or some guys with Quake I mod experience than any serious commercial product.
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:39 am

Zaganas Lor

I went and took a look at the site and I was very impressed. These guys have some wonderful ideas. All your fans of Horizons and Dawn... get over there an check it out. <br> <br>Fourpack I must say obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Perma death with at the very least deter people from PK'ing as after all the effort it takes to raise your skills to combat readyness you are not going to want to throw it away via perma death after you lose all your counters. I think this system will work great at getting rid of grief players. The problem with UO and PK'ers is that you can litterally create a PK'er in 2 weeks... who cares if it dies... just make another. In this game people aren't going to so willingly lose their life counters. <br> <br>I would suggest that everyone takes a look at what they have to offer. The game is in development and has already started to get some great reviews on many other sites.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:51 am

Dasani

Thanks for posting the interview about this game. I went and took a look at it myself and liked what they had to show. They showed a picture of a dwarf in their pictures section. If thats a screenshot then WOW! Check it out. <br> <br>www.shadowpool.com
Post Wed May 22, 2002 12:37 am

Joxo

All I can say is WOW! I spent a couple hours at their web site seriously delving into this game. It was like reading a good mystery, the more you discovered the more you had to keep looking to see what was next. These guys make up one great think tank. Some of their concepts just blew me away, like player run settlements, a realistic weather system that actually means something to be caught out in the open in a snowstorm, the religious architecture where you can actually become the embodiment of the religion you choose to follow (how cool is that?). Yes the perma-death is certainly a debatable topic, but if you take the time to really think about what it truly effects in the game I think you will begin to see that it resolves many more issues than it creates. I was very skeptical at first but the more I thought about it the more I began to understand it. I rarely rant on about any game, but I will say this, set all your preconceived notions about what a game should be and go read about this one. After you have done that then think about some of what you have read and apply it to how you like to play games. I think you will be surpised at your discovery.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:47 pm

Kado Elixan

I find it extremely funny that... <br>Perma-Death + Unlimited PvP = Disaster <br>Perma-Death (PD) combined with the systems Shadowpool has in place will make the PK and griefer's lives absolute hell. Just remember...everyone has the same amount of lives. Sure a PK can get a few hits in but they will eventually be attacked on-site, have bounty hunters on thier ass and will basically get no rest. <br> <br>Since skills are the major factor in the game all of the "n00b griefers" will have a hell of a time attacking anyone except the other "n00bs". And that makes griefing completely not worth the trouble. <br> <br>@FourPak <br>1)Have a little faith...these guys are doing their best and I think not only will TOA get finished...but it will beat out all other MMORPG's due to its biggest chance...Perma-Death. All of those "real game companies" make EQ clones that hold your hand the whole damn time. TOA will be harsh...not a "fairytale, hold-my-hand" game. Life is hard and it ends, get over resurrection. <br> <br>I seriously love TOA and all of its design concepts and I think the guys at Shadowpool have the know-how to make this game...and yes...actually finish it.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:12 pm

Ammon777

This game looks BEYOND AWESOME. And i think they will finish it, since they got funding and a publisher a while back.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:09 pm

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Ive read enough about the development team and their situation to correctly state that this game WILL be finished, HAS adequate funding, and WILL make its own niche in the market. Not a very big niche, but large enough to keep it around for years.
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:45 pm