Frozen in indecision - too many options
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Frozen in indecision - too many options

I'm getting more confused as the game goes on - and I'm only at level 10. I have so many quests (most of which I can't finish for one reason or another - either I can't find what I'm looking for, can't persaude worth a damn, or am too weak) that I'm lost. I cannot find a main story thread here to follow, and so it's difficult for me to work our what I should be doing. At the moment I'm just bouncing from one quest to another, I have no money, and am totally confused. I am new to this series, so have no historical information about how these games work.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to what the goal is here? All I can work out is that I've been hired as a spy for the Blades, but am free to wander around and do other quests. Does that mean I should be concentrating on the Blades quests? I have to be able to focus on some aspect of the game in terms of story, or I'll just end up getting frustrated.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 10:58 pm
Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

If you want specific tips, use the Spoilers Forum. However, for a general guide read on....

The basis of this game is its openness. If you only like linear games that take you from the beginning to the end with no diversions then this game may not be for you. However, if you limit your guild membership to say just one guild, appropriate to your class - eg Fighters Guild if you're a warrior, then all you have to deal with are that guild's quests and the main storyline quests which are centred on your meetings with Caius.

Of course, you don't have to do any guild quests, or indeed any main quests if you don't want to, you can just explore until you're comfortable with the environment and the interface. No quest has a time deadline, but if you're at level 10 then you are certainly up to completing a number of different quests, and can take the main storyline a couple of stages.

I do stress, nonetheless, that this is not a linear game, and whilst you could simply follow the main storyline and do only those quests, its doubtful that you'd get as much fun from the game as playing it more openly would grant you. You might also find you weren't powerful enough to carry on the main quests at some point.

As to money, if you explore a little, enter ancestral tombs for example, and gain some loot you can sell that to town traders and raise cash with which to supplement the equipment you loot and also add to your spells etc. Quests for civilians tend to be simple, but rewarding, so you might consider one or two of those.

If you are enjoying the game, or at least can see its potential appeal to you, but are still frustrated then you may want to buy the official guide which will offer some additional assistance, as well as perhaps perusing the Spoilers Forum and posing specific questions there.

Enjoy...
Post Mon May 20, 2002 11:16 pm
Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I am new to RPG's. Tried lots, always gave up. Part of the reason why was that I used to agonize over character leveling decisions only to find it made minimal impact whether I upped my endurance, mystic etc...

With an opened ended game like MW you should still do things with at least a semblance of a reason or I can see where you will get bogged down.

If I were you I would start cleaning up unfinished tasks, The game will lead you back on track.

You have an unfinished quest, decide what skills you will need in order to complete it. If you have to up your weapon skill, take a walk and kill some rats and foragers. Better yet, buy a soul gem for 20 trap the soul you killed and voila, the gem is worth 200. If you are getting killed by magic, take the 200 and buy a scroll of reflection, go finish the quest. This game is all about the little victories anyhow. Work on a few skills at a time, trying to up everything at once is hard.

Hope that helps....
Post Tue May 21, 2002 12:13 am