Oh My God! Is the game really this big?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Oh My God! Is the game really this big?

I just unfolded the map in the box. Can you really go to all of those places?
Post Sat May 11, 2002 6:16 am
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

LOL
I had about the same reaction when I saw the map myself.
Yes, you really can go to all those places.
There is more then enough the explore as the map plainly shows.
Now go forth brave adventurer and be part of Morrowind history
Post Sat May 11, 2002 7:43 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

ROFL! Forget about the map, tell me what your reaction is once you have started walking around the continent.

It's HUGE! And I love it. Still after 50+ hours of gameplay I have explored about 30% of the island. 70% to go!
Post Sat May 11, 2002 8:59 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

It is not that big.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 11, 2002 12:03 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Not if you use an Icarian Flight jump scroll on an Argonian Pearl Diver (I keep meaning to try it with a long lasting levitate or slow-fall spell). Then the map isn't so small at all.

"Up, up... and awaiEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee....." T'kleth, Argonian Pearl Diver

"That boy thar jest jumped into the sunset." Balorma Townguy 1
"Yep." BTG2
"I bet they'll be picking bits of him out of the landscape for weeks."
"Yep."

"Pray for a water landing, pray for a water landing, pray for a water landing..." T'kleth as the land whizzes by beneath him at mach two.

Heh. He landed about a game mile out to sea and blinked twice, then started swimming back. Not that a water landing helped my dwarf in full plate much.

"Aaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey... water! Ha! I can do it, I can do it! YES YES YES!" Thane, Mighty Dwarven Plug-In Beta Test Warrior
*SPLOOOSH* <-- not enough water resistance due to carrying 300 pounds of stuff and wearing heavy armor
*CRUNCH!* <--- Sound of heavy armored dwarf hitting the bottom of the ocean at mach 1.25 as opposed to mach 2. Difference: Not enough.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat May 11, 2002 4:16 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

THis should be fun... although I am new to this series and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Just blundering around, trying to solve smaller quests, can't get a fix on the bigger picture yet.

I keep picking up soul gems and assume these are to trap souls, from what I am reading. I'll have to hang onto them until I know.

Can stuff be safely stored in chests? Or does it disappear after a while like in M&M?
Post Sat May 11, 2002 5:26 pm
Sledgehammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Your stuff stays put!

Yup, drop it and come back for it anytime...
Post Sat May 11, 2002 5:50 pm
Jellomancer

WTF? I didn't get a map! Or maybe I did and lost it...
Post Sat May 11, 2002 5:58 pm

Zyphria

I think the map only came with the Collector's Edition...
Post Sat May 11, 2002 9:59 pm

Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

The map came with the standard edition.

The world is large, but more to the point there are a lot of things to do. Bethesda reckon that if you do all the quests both main and secondary you're looking at about 500 hours. They are on record as saying they don't expect anyone to see everything. Of course, you're likely to need a high acrobatics skill to reach some places.

Then there are the plug-in modules that are starting to appear..... !

Btw, if you're just wandering around exploring, doing minor quests AND having fun then you're bang on course! Let the bigger picture emerge in its own time and yours.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 10:06 pm
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Granted, this is a LARGE world, but i'd like to remind that Daggerfall (the previous version of this game-3d though barely) had atleast 1000x larger world. I'm still playing it sometimes, and taken that my char started 7 yrs. ago its been a loooooong time - haven't even visited all the countries yet, 300-400 dungeons(they are horrible by design)unvisited, And i have listed all the towns i visited (and slaughtered-i'm a vampire) there are well over 500, and still have about 10000 to go. So really, this ain't so large.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 11:43 pm

This is the largest handcrafted world I've ever seen. The dungeons and towns of Daggerfall are randomly generated and for me that doesn't count. They could have duplicated the island 100x in both directions with minor random changes, but to me that wouldn't be any "bigger", just annoying, like Daggerfall dungeons. The only game that has more art/quest content is maybe Everquest, and then only after 3 expansion packs ($150+ each), and 400k people paying the dev team $10-13/month. Even then you'd have to play Everquest 2000 hours and join an uberguild or 2 to see it all, yuck.

I can't get over the amount of content. To have developers say "heh, if we have all these non-linear multi-path quests no one character will be able to do more than 1/3rd of them, but we're gonna put in the work anyway" is just insane. But ya gotta love the dedication.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 2:39 am

Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

good stuff

it's not only big...it's fun and immersive!
Post Sun May 12, 2002 3:36 am
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Anonymous:

Granted, this is hand crafted, but the comparison to Daggerfall is valid for 2 reasons: 1) similarity 2) if daggerfall would be ready now instead of -94 would it still be as large and ugly? (not that i think its ugly, i just hope we get a decent 3d patch for it-or any patch) As far as Daggerfall dungeons are - i hate them. In an earlier post i stated they should be recycled as punishment for the criminally insane. But unfortunately Morrowind dungeons aren't any better - just smaller (tiny). The people in Morrowind are not more characteristic than those that were written in Daggerfall (and there were many) , all just say: a)honored to meet me b)pleased to meet me c)what is it d)get on with it and so on. I see no real difference here, only graphics have gotten better & everything else is about the same.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 3:52 am